evalionisameme

Lana Sex Work/Stripping?

i think if lana put it out there n kinda mentioned it in relation to QFC then its definitely up for debate. no ones shaming her or invading her privacy. if we were, THEN itd be wrong. 

with that said, i think shes lying 💀 idk where this would fit in her timeline. lana was obsessed with all things americana and film, sex work would probably be just one of her fantasies or interests that turned out to be a fun topic for songwriting/storytelling. 

lol this makes me think of the article: https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2014/07/who-lana-del-rey-slept-with

Specifically, when talking about her song "F--ked My Way to the Top," del Rey says, "You know, I have slept with a lot of guys in the industry, but none of them helped me get my record deals. Which is annoying." Aha! So you see? She freely admits that she has made the rounds in music town, but that that is not how she got famous.

i don't think she ever did prostitution, she slept with guys just for fun and got nothing out out of it -- and for her poetry/lyrics, i think most of the sexual stuff she's singing about is just a metaphor for some other things. she's not literally a go go dancer or whatever other fantasy world she was in with her songs

giphy.gif

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧✿☆𝐦𝐲 𝐠𝐨𝐨𝐟𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐢𝐬 𝐦𝐲 𝐩𝐨𝐞𝐭𝐫𝐲☆✿✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧✿☆𝐦𝐲 𝐬𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐢𝐬 𝐦𝐲 𝐥𝐞𝐠𝐚𝐜𝐲☆✿✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

ok but Go Go Dancer is an absolute bop 

Maybe she went to many bars back in the day and saw many girls dancing for money and kind of "borrowed" that for her worldbuilding in earlier songs. Also associating the music business to prostitution/stripping is a common metaphor because people pay to see you up on stage being vulnerable and telling your stories, something along those lines.

I mean if you put it in perspective she did dated a lot of musicians which she might consider as men on the music industry, I don't think she meant heads of labels or whatever

8nl2OpX.png

4 hours ago, mlittle11 said:

i think if lana put it out there n kinda mentioned it in relation to QFC then its definitely up for debate. no ones shaming her or invading her privacy. if we were, THEN itd be wrong. 

with that said, i think shes lying 💀 idk where this would fit in her timeline. lana was obsessed with all things americana and film, sex work would probably be just one of her fantasies or interests that turned out to be a fun topic for songwriting/storytelling. 

this

I'm sorry but judging by her dancing abilities I really don't think she has danced for money before :bebe:  I also think it's just a fantasy thing for her songwriting

but who knows maybe lizzy really was bringing the house down on the silver pole :oprah3:

1.jpg  3.jpg  2.jpg 

23 minutes ago, Junkie Noir said:

the way its been damn near wiped from existence<[=[_[

To be honest it's extremely easy to find :bebe:

And it's kind of a bop #SorryLana

𝕀 𝕔𝕝𝕠𝕤𝕖 𝕞𝕪 𝕖𝕪𝕖𝕤, 𝕒𝕥 𝕟𝕚𝕘𝕙𝕥 𝕀 𝕨𝕚𝕤𝕙 𝕥𝕠 𝕣𝕚𝕤𝕖 𝕗𝕣𝕠𝕞 𝕒𝕝𝕝 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕕𝕦𝕤𝕥

29 minutes ago, Coloringbooks said:

To be honest it's extremely easy to find :bebe:

And it's kind of a bop #SorryLana

TRUE i mean the song itself is easy to find but any information on it is a different story 😭 ben was hard at work that day

😋🫶🏼

tbh I think people see the words "sex work" and assume that it must be something organized, that's not necessarily the case

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that she's had sex or dated for money (or other types of compensation) before, but it doesn't seem likely she would've been doing it for survival, more as a thing on the side

rihKQ8M.gif

I mean I definitely think hit and run is a reference to the casting couch-and her relationship with on and off again industry executive boyfriend “Ben” I believe his name is? 

Maybe the dancing stuff was moreso a fantasist side during her relationship with Mike as she says she “danced for him” during their relationship.

7 minutes ago, Greenwich Acid Cherry Pie said:

tbh I think people see the words "sex work" and assume that it must be something organized, that's not necessarily the case

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that she's had sex or dated for money (or other types of compensation) before, but it doesn't seem likely she would've been doing it for survival, more as a thing on the side

Craigslist is also dodgy as hell 💀

I’ve never known many legitimate jobs on there-it’s usually sexual stuff disguised.

Id actually be surprised if she found many ordinary jobs on there.

A lot of women, especially young women, are fascinated by prostitutes and sex workers. Camille Paglia has written about it at length, and yes, Tori Amos has written a couple of songs about it, and expressed her compassion for them in interviews. For example, her song, Amber Waves, that opens Scarlet’s Walk. 

I think a lot of women, regardless of how they respond and react to them, feel like they could easily have found themselves in similar positions in life.

7 minutes ago, Greenwich Acid Cherry Pie said:

Craigslist is also dodgy as hell 💀

I’ve never known many legitimate jobs on there-it’s usually sexual stuff disguised.

Id actually be surprised if she found many ordinary jobs on there.

The artist and the art are tangled together, espc. when the themes of the art are confessional. To fully understand the art, you must understand the artist. This is a fair question to ask. 

I agree that the definition of "sex work" may not be so black and white, and any form of transactional relationship--regardless of whether there was an exchange of money directly--could be drawn upon as influence for that set of songs. 

0-D9-B4-BAE-A7-F2-4-FF4-93-FB-F863-B500-

find someone who looks at you the way Lana looks at Taylor Swift

7 hours ago, The Siren said:

What an odd thing to ask :um3:

Anyway

• Go go dancer
  • Strange love
  • Tired of Singing the blues
  • Roll with me
  • Come when you call me america
  • Trash magic
  • Delicious
  • Hundred dollar bill
  • Dance for money
  • Party girl
  • Hey you
  • Hit it and run

And many others all have some sort of allusion to her sex work/stripper days

Unless she was just fascinated by them at the time and decided to write in the eyes of a fictional stripper/sex worker character

Not to forget that she also portrays a stripper in the second part of the Tropico film.

6 hours ago, Junkie Noir said:

the way its been damn near wiped from existence<[=[_[

if it's the song I'm thinking of... I have it and so do a lot of other people. (Mods: I will not share it here)

We know she really did abuse drugs and alcohol and went to Alcoholics Anonymous.

Women in addiction/alcoholism tend to do sex work.

So I think it's perfectly possible that she did, in fact, do some form of sexual work.

giphy.gif