Elle

Lana & Joan Baez cover The New York Times Magazine April 2023 Issue [INTERVIEW]

6 minutes ago, takemybreath said:

Katy Grannan 

Her instagram feed is rancid and I’m not sure I like her work (from what I’ve seen online) but let’s hope. At the end of the day, Nadia Lee Cohen will remain undefeated as the best photographer who’s ever worked with Lana.

I wish she did something with Petra Collins… Petra’s a huge fan of her.

IMG-7960.jpg

18 hours ago, Lanaparadiserey said:

Does anyone know what day the magazine comes out? Like day of the week because idk if it comes out actually on the 23rd

Deciphering the current issue, the url shows for The 4.9.23 Issue was live digitally the previous Thursday, on the 6th?

https://www.nytimes.com/issue/magazine/2023/04/06/the-4923-issue

Maybe we can look for it Thursday the 20th . . . But the previous issue was live on Friday . . .

https://www.nytimes.com/issue/magazine/2023/03/31/the-4223-issue

I tried all the combos to find out is there anything in place for the issue after the next, but there isn't!

1 minute ago, Louise said:

Deciphering the current issue, the url shows for The 4.9.23 Issue was live digitally the previous Thursday, on the 6th?

https://www.nytimes.com/issue/magazine/2023/04/06/the-4923-issue

Maybe we can look out for it on Thursday the 20th . . . But the previous issue was live on Friday . . .

https://www.nytimes.com/issue/magazine/2023/03/31/the-4223-issue

I tried all the combos to find out is there anything in place for the issue after the next, and there isn't!

Not you getting all scientific lmao😭 Thank you for this

2 minutes ago, Lanaparadiserey said:

Not you getting all scientific lmao😭 Thank you for this

Ha ha! No stopping Lana fans, according to the Pre-Release thread tracking down singles and release dates which were unannounced, or signing up for OceanBlvd IG!

This looks like the best place for newest aritcles: https://www.nytimes.com/section/magazine

I’m debating whether or not I should get it when it drops. I’m already out money from the initial merch drop and I’m still waiting for the coke necklace. I’ve also bought the RS magazine and I’m going to Lolla :oprah:

stars in my eyes

⊹˚⋆ 𝒃𝒂𝒃𝒚 𝒃𝒍𝒖𝒆𝒔 ‧₊°   

11 minutes ago, burthday kake said:

cute photos omg :aw: love the title being a kate bush song too <3

could someone copy n paste or screenshot the article & post it here?  ive tried reading it but it tells me i have to subscribe/pay to do so 

Joan Baez: In 2019, Lana, whom I’d heard about from my granddaughter, Jasmine, invited me to sing with her in Berkeley. I said, “Why? Your audience could be my great-grandchildren.” And she said, “They don’t deserve you.” Lana and I are sort of opposites. When I was starting out, I wouldn’t let anyone else onstage. I had two microphones — one for me, one for my guitar — and I stood barefoot, singing sad folk songs. I didn’t even write for the first 10 years, and she’s a songwriter.

I stopped singing three years ago; it was time to move on. After 60 years as a musician, I started painting. An artist friend said I need to loosen up and make mistakes so, if a painting isn’t working out, I dunk it twice in the swimming pool to see if it becomes something interesting. A hose will also do. If people want to learn from me, I tell them to look beyond the music to my engagement with human and civil rights. My voice was what it was, but the real gift was using it. A documentary has just been made about me [“Joan Baez I Am a Noise,” 2023]. There’s footage of me marching with Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. in Grenada, Miss., in 1966. At another point in the film, I mention in a letter to my parents that I want to save the world. Lana doesn’t make such grand political statements — at Berkeley, she brought me out to do it for her. And yet, amid the colorful chaos and glitter of her show, she was at one point, I believe, barefoot.

Lana Del Rey: I was having a show at Berkeley three years ago and wanted Joan to sing “Diamonds & Rust” (1975) with me. She told me she lived an hour south of San Francisco, and that if I could not only find her but also sing the song’s high harmonies on the spot, she’d do it. I was given a vague map to get to a house distinguishable only by its color and the chickens running in the yard. At one point during my audition, she stopped me with a steely look to let me know I didn’t get it right. By the end, she said, “OK, that’s good. I’ll sing with you.”

Midway through the performance, I said to the audience, “I have someone coming onstage who is the most generous-of-spirit singer I know, and the most important female singer of the ’60s and ’70s, and we’re gonna do ‘Diamonds & Rust’ together.” After the show, we went to an Afro-Caribbean two-step club, and she told me not to stop dancing until she did. That’s what my song “Dance Till We Die” (2021) is about. I think the secret to real success is to make sure you’re always emotionally intact. I learned that from Joan. I recently said to her, “I just want you to know that I’m keenly aware that, in this lifetime or any other, I have no right to be standing shoulder to shoulder with you.” And she replied, “Oh, shut up.”

aOaIzH2.gif