Elle

[SINGLE] A&W: OUT NOW

I got that 'melodrama' vibe too but as for me a&w is much better by any means. I think shadylady was reffiering to that one certain song but anyways it still sounds like something Lorde would write :shh2: no offense Ella :party: 

Queen x

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

There's a lot to unpack with this song but imo it is up there with Hope, lyrically

I think the opening lines set the scene really nicely: "haven't done a cartwheel since I was nine" (that was the turning point in her life when she was forced to grow up/realised things and nothing was carefree anymore) and the line about Patty. And she goes on to lament that she can't be normal and have normal relationships.

It's only speculation but I wouldn't be surprised if "American whore" is something Patty called her given its context in this song. It seems almost sarcastic to me. And I think the "your mom called," etc is more so something one of her boyfriends said to her because she says it in a sing-song taunting voice and that also makes more sense in the context because it's a very introspective song

The part about being maimed/r*ped I immediately thought of Harvey (or another rich, powerful man) because

I mean look at my hair

Look at the length of it there, and the shape of my body

suggests this was a relationship where she was in the public eye at the time and that if she were to talk about it (or testify) people would refer back to photos (?) and say "well, look at how you were dressed" typical victim-blaming shit

And then I thought about how she would've been 33 in 2018 which was just after LFL and that was when she started writing all her poems and I remembered the line from one of the poems that was like "took a ride on a billionaire's jet" and I remember getting the impression from that poem that it had to do with a secret relationship with a billionaire. And maybe all this has nothing to do with what she's singing about but it's just stuff I have been thinking about

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

1 hour ago, Rorman Nockwell said:

There's a lot to unpack with this song but imo it is up there with Hope, lyrically

I think the opening lines set the scene really nicely: "haven't done a cartwheel since I was nine" (that was the turning point in her life when she was forced to grow up/realised things and nothing was carefree anymore) and the line about Patty. And she goes on to lament that she can't be normal and have normal relationships.

It's only speculation but I wouldn't be surprised if "American whore" is something Patty called her given its context in this song. It seems almost sarcastic to me. And I think the "your mom called," etc is more so something one of her boyfriends said to her because she says it in a sing-song taunting voice and that also makes more sense in the context because it's a very introspective song

The part about being maimed/r*ped I immediately thought of Harvey (or another rich, powerful man) because

I mean look at my hair

Look at the length of it there, and the shape of my body

suggests this was a relationship where she was in the public eye at the time and that if she were to talk about it (or testify) people would refer back to photos (?) and say "well, look at how you were dressed" typical victim-blaming shit

And then I thought about how she would've been 33 in 2018 which was just after LFL and that was when she started writing all her poems and I remembered the line from one of the poems that was like "took a ride on a billionaire's jet" and I remember getting the impression from that poem that it had to do with a secret relationship with a billionaire. And maybe all this has nothing to do with what she's singing about but it's just stuff I have been thinking about

Hope being somewhere "up"? :wat: 

Wasn't this like a bottom 5 song from NFR for most people? :um:

It would never cross my mind to compare A&W's excellence with the dreariness and utter boredom of An iPhone Is a Dangerous Thing for Lana and Chuck to Have - But They Have It.

5 minutes ago, The Love Witch said:

It would never cross my mind to compare A&W's excellence with the dreariness and utter boredom of An iPhone Is a Dangerous Thing for Lana and Chuck to Have - But They Have It.

Keyword: lyrically.

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

3 hours ago, The Love Witch said:

Wasn't this like a bottom top 5 song from NFR for most people? :um:

It's definitely one of NFR's most exceptional and outstanding songs :true:

but you're right, it is (inexplicably) way behind in the lanaboards voting:

3 hours ago, The Love Witch said:

"Most people" = the very loud and obnoxious minority of people who feel personally victimized by a musical instrument

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

12 minutes ago, Fingertips said:

"Most people" = the very loud and obnoxious minority of people who feel personally victimized by a musical instrument

yas gurl drag those piano haters to heeeell

54 minutes ago, Fingertips said:

The song just doesn’t make me feel any type of way and trust me, there are some piano ballads that give me the feels. With Hope I feel she tried to convey a certain type of emotion that simply doesn’t click with me (and the majority of her fan base). 

Give me Bel Air, Old Money, Love Song, Is This Happiness, Happiness Is a Butterfly any day over this. I think she's much better if she sticks to less complex structures because that’s where her melodies and the emotions of the songs truly shine. A&W and Venice Bitch however, are examples where she managed to create some sort of excitement through a rather complex song arrangement and structure.

The thing that annoys me with Hope in particular is how awfully pretentious it sounds in terms of lyrics and how the change in dynamic in the chorus leads to a dead end. It’s just very very unsatisfying for me, personally.

I dreamed of a MV, so epic but so hard to explained

It had an intro with Let Me Love You Like a Woman, it had clips of Blue Jean video outtakes, then midway through the song A&W started playing, she was hot, she had a kind of inflatable dress with a matching hat for a party...

Anyways it was chaotic and epic AF

On 2/21/2023 at 8:24 AM, Rorman Nockwell said:

I also thought about Harvey Weinstein since what happened and the fact she never clearly spoke about the relationship she had with him... who knows, I just hope that part of the lyrics is not true and she wasn't in that type of situation

✧・゚:* ヽ(*・ω・)ノ*:・゚✧

I have a lot of thoughts on this song, but don't want to bore everyone with them. Just a quick thought - Lana's music is often called 'cinematic'. Usually that just means that there are strings, but this song is cinematic in a different way - it follows the classic three act structure of movies (and plays). If you don't listen closely, it sounds like there are two parts, but I feel strongly there are three:

Part 1: 0:00 to 2:40
Part 2: 2:40 to 5:14
Part 3: 5:14 to 7:13

Each one has a distinct soundstage and mood. People are so programmed to dance when they hear a beat that they miss that Part 3 is a culmination of, and not a relief from, the anger and sadness of the first two parts.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png