Some of the lyrics remind me of her poem, Bare Feet on Linoleum.

A&W:

If I told you that I was raped, do you really think that anybody would think I didn't ask for it, didn't ask for it?
Didn't testify, already fucked up my story

Bare Feet on Linoleum

And all of the people you meet on the street will reiterate lies
that she uttered

she told the townspeople I was crazy, and the lies, they
started to believe them

My thoughts from the first time I read Bare Feet on Linoleum years ago and how I think it relates to A&W:

In BFOL it seemed to me like her mother told everyone she was crazy at the expense of Lana's feelings and dignity. Like her mom chose to protect her family's reputation by lying and throwing her daughter under the bus. Lana seems to corroborate this in A&W with the line "do you really think that anybody would think I didn't ask for it?". With all the references to being a whore, I think Lana's mom could have told the townspeople (as she calls them in BFOL) that her daughter is a slut, a drunk and/or crazy. Maybe her mom did that to protect the reputation of the person who might have raped her. Also, when Lana uses the word "treason" in the stanza 6 line, "it's been a real fight just to stop my mind from committing treason", I thought that the act of treason could be to go against her family. She would "betray" them and be a traitor to her family. I imagine her mom could have used words like that when she was younger to make her keep quiet. Something along the lines of: If you tell you will ruin our family. You are being selfish, only thinking of yourself and not the lives of your parents, grandparents and siblings that you will end up destroying. This may be affirmed by the A&W lyric: "I'm a a princess. I'm divisive". Patty might have told Lana that she's spoiled and dividing the family apart. 

Lana has used the word "home" in some of her recent songs and poems. Stanza 9 of BFOL: "Would standing in front of Mount Rushmore feel like the Great American homecoming I never had?". I've always interpreted that as a metaphor for her coming home from boarding school back to Lake Placid. With the rest of the context of the poem, I assumed her mom continued making up lies while Lana was away when she had no way to defend her own truth and dignity. Returning home would have felt like a slap in the face as she learns that the people in her very small town have been whispering rumors about her. Furthermore, at the start of the BFOL audio you can hear android-like voices chatting as if at a dinner party. Some of the conversation I can make out is, "You are a good/fantastic/interesting conversationalist. Your stories are mesmerizing. People love your stories. People love my stories. You have plenty of interesting stories". I think this could be about the stories and rumors her mother told. Or maybe this is Lana's story. "Didn't testify, already fucked up my story," she sings. Patty might have dismissed Lana's allegations by telling her and the whispering townsfolk that she's just making up stories. "Oh, she just makes things up. She is a great storyteller, isn't she!". Now, going back to BFOL. The chattering voices are heard in the background throughout the full audio recording. Towards the end they start getting louder and remain that way even after Lana finishes her poem. At the very end, while the voices continue talking, Lana whispers along with them, "People love my stories. People love my jokes". I also connect the chatter heard in the poem to this line in A&W: "Do you really think I give a damn what I do after years of just hearing them talking?". Additionally, when she sings, "I'm invisible", this could be thought of as her voice being drowned out by all the rumors. Her voice becomes lost in a sea of lies and people no longer hear her or they choose to not listen. 

"It's not about having someone to love me anymorе," Lana sings. She follows this with, "This is the experiеnce of being an American whore". Here Lana might be saying that she is no longer looking for the "warm embrace [she's] never known" as she wrote in BFOL. She is no longer looking for the love she was denied. Now she is going to be a whore. Maybe she uses sex to cope. It might also mean something like: "You called me a whore when I was just a girl. You said to everyone in our town that I'm a whore. Fine, you want to call me a whore? I'll show you what it looks like when I'm actually a whore."

869-DEC9-E-0-FB4-4-EAF-82-CA-790-EF45189

41 minutes ago, Harry Nilsson said:

I don't think Rosemead has a major importance, but it sounds good with Ramada and 'really matter'

again a poetic tidbit :true:

I know there are poetic and rhythmic reasons for using the name, but it's also one city over from Arcadia, CA.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

6 minutes ago, longtimeman said:

I know there are poetic and rhythmic reasons for using the name, but it's also one city over from Arcadia, CA.

the only thing known is that she lived (or still lives?) for a longer time in a hotel to flee Paparazzi, who besiege her home 

maybe she has a home in Rosemead, don't know

3 hours ago, SlowGinFizzzz said:

Absolutely adore American Whore, Lana really is THE artist of our time. 

I noticed some interesting similarities with Banks' Alaska, though. Not just the "Jimmy, Jimmy" parts, but musically both songs have a similar sound and vibe too. Anyone else hearing it?

i defo thought it sounded like something i'd hear from banks

1 hour ago, Harry Nilsson said:

the only thing known is that she lived (or still lives?) for a longer time in a hotel to flee Paparazzi, who besiege her home 

Arcadia/Rosemead/San Gabriel are probably another thing like “13 Beaches” for her. I live nearby. It gets traffic like the rest of LA county, of course neighboring cities Monterey Park and Alhambra were in the news lately because of the shooting that happened four weeks ago, but it’s normally rather safe and calm here. It’s not too touristy, the locals stick to themselves and mind their business, lots of culture and delicious/cheap authentic “ethnic food” (the majority of the population is Asian or Latino). I can see the San Gabriel Valley being another haven for her to get away from the paps and LA city craziness. 

:sluttybunny:🌧️

2 hours ago, Harry Nilsson said:

Well for the sake of Lana’s privacy—- let’s NOT figure this out gang! :true:

Lana's houses, according to lyrics/poems: 

- Rosemead (A&W)

- Hancock Park (LA, Who Am I To Love You?)

- Mar Vista (Happy)

- Malibu (Woolsey Fire treehouse, Paradise Is Very Fragile)

Screenshot-2024-04-17-at-6-31-05-PM.png

who's afraid of little old me?

9 minutes ago, drippingbeaches said:

YOU GUYS GO LOOK AT YHE SPOTIFY LYRICS FOR THIS SONG, ITS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. I TOOK SCREENSHOTS BUT IDK HOW TO POST THEM HERE

They're just lyrics some fan (or general dummy) made up and posted before release.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

guys, i love the first part so much, and as iconic as the second part is, it just doesn't hit the same as the beautiful lyrics in the first part
she's coming for our throats

the earth shattered, the sky opened

tumblr_p594n81oiC1x11ydmo2_400.gif

that rain was fire, but we were wooden

Just now, ivory almond said:

guys, i love the first part so much, and as iconic as the second part is, it just doesn't hit the same as the beautiful lyrics in the first part
she's coming for our throats

rly u didn't prefer the lyrics u wrote?

Just now, Blossom said:

rly u didn't prefer the lyrics u wrote?

PLS that was a silly joke that I didn't think everyone on the entire internet would see, ALSO I CANT BELIEVE SPOTIFY USED THEM LIKE? im sorry i didn't know spotify was stupid like that
i wish I could take it back 😭

1 minute ago, ivory almond said:

PLS that was a silly joke that I didn't think everyone on the entire internet would see, ALSO I CANT BELIEVE SPOTIFY USED THEM LIKE? im sorry i didn't know spotify was stupid like that

dude thats so weird to write traumatic and personal lyrics from Lana's perspective and then submit them? 

Now every time I listen to A&W ur patty diss track shows up on my screen:crying2:

2 minutes ago, ivory almond said:

ivory almond you will be dealt with

resident sweeter

giphy.gif

24/7/17 - 9/7/23 - 10/7/23

Just now, Blossom said:

dude thats so weird to write traumatic and personal lyrics from Lana's perspective and then submit them? 

Now every time I listen to A&W ur patty diss track shows up on my screen:crying2:

ugh okay when you put it like that, it does sound bad, but I really did not mean to upset anyone or intentionally be rude/disrespectful, especially to Lana's personal experiences
Is there some way for me to delete the lyrics on musixmatch?