I love everyone's analysis on this one... Just wanted to add from someone that grew up during the height and listened to a lot gansta rap, the first time I heard A&W the first thing that came to mind for me on the second half was ODB from Wu-Tang Clan single Shimmy Shimmy Ya. I am probably way off base, but I just thought with Lana's gansta style and being from Brooklyn herself, that it could be a nod to ODB and Wu-Tang. I know nothing, so I digress...

with the absolute heart of the poem of life butchered out of their own bodies good to eat a thousand years

So does she really say "if I told you I was raped" ? 'Cause I heard it in the beginning, now I don't hear it anymore and yet it's often thought to be the lyrics IDK at this point 

6 minutes ago, Rico25 said:

So does she really say "if I told you I was raped" ? 'Cause I heard it in the beginning, now I don't hear it anymore and yet it's often thought to be the lyrics IDK at this point 

I definitely think that's what she says. 

When we talk about something traumatic, we often speed up our words or speak very quietly because there's a lot of shame associated with verbalising those feelings/experiences. At least that's what I've experienced with myself and other survivors. 

I think she says it quietly in the song, either unconsciously or (more likely) to symbolise the shame about it. When says says "sittin' on the sofa feelin' super suicidal" in Candy Necklace she really speeds up how she says it. The annunciation is just slightly more slurred/muddled than some of the rest of the lyrics in the song. which I think is for the same reason. 

The cicadas in the sunset are your guide

11 minutes ago, The Sun Also Rises said:

I definitely think that's what she says. 

When we talk about something traumatic, we often speed up our words or speak very quietly because there's a lot of shame associated with verbalising those feelings/experiences. At least that's what I've experienced with myself and other survivors. 

I think she says it quietly in the song, either unconsciously or (more likely) to symbolise the shame about it. When says says "sittin' on the sofa feelin' super suicidal" in Candy Necklace she really speeds up how she says it. The annunciation is just slightly more slurred/muddled than some of the rest of the lyrics in the song. which I think is for the same reason. 

Love your reply <3 thanks

did we ever figure out the right lyrics for this song?

there's a couple lines I can't figure out-

Imo it sounds like:

called up one from called up another

(online lyrics says)

Called up one drunk, called up another

also in another verse on genius it says:

God's a charlatan, don't look back, babe

but to me it always sounded like:

got this (cop censored) who turned on a bad b

giphy.gif

.⊹˖  𝒸𝒶𝓉𝒸𝒽 𝒶 𝓌𝒶𝓋𝑒 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝓉𝒶𝓀𝑒 𝒾𝓃 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝓌𝑒𝑒𝓉𝓃𝑒𝓈𝓈 ₊˚.༄

1 hour ago, shadesofblue said:

did we ever figure out the right lyrics for this song?

there's a couple lines I can't figure out-

Imo it sounds like:

called up one from called up another

(online lyrics says)

Called up one drunk, called up another

also in another verse on genius it says:

God's a charlatan, don't look back, babe

but to me it always sounded like:

got this (cop censored) who turned on a bad b

I think it is 'called up one drunk', but not 100% sure. However, I am 100% sure the charlatan line is completely wrong, mostly because it makes no sense.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

On 7/15/2023 at 8:51 AM, x VB said:

Is she singing

"Here's my body (?), if you're a know-it-all (?)

and he calls me locked on the bathroom floor"

at 3:35?

that's the only part i have no idea what she's saying

On 1/20/2024 at 8:55 PM, sparklrtrailrheaven said:

I’m sorry but “God’s a charlatan” is as silly a misreading as “I’m so me, Corinthians” from Fine China :toofunny: and both of them haunt me 

:lmao:

Happy bday to iconic masterpiece <3 may your legacy shine on for years to come :smokes5:

giphy.gif

.⊹˖  𝒸𝒶𝓉𝒸𝒽 𝒶 𝓌𝒶𝓋𝑒 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝓉𝒶𝓀𝑒 𝒾𝓃 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝓌𝑒𝑒𝓉𝓃𝑒𝓈𝓈 ₊˚.༄

TIL it's not "God's a charlatan" and I listened to this song 250 times last year.... :facepalm:  it made sense to me OK!

anyways A&W ilyyyy you fucking legend of a song :urmomcalled: