Sign in to follow this  
evalionisameme

Expose-Pop Industry songwriter revolt

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/pop-songwriters-industry-broke-1234662448/

noteworthy segments:

Keller says. “For instance, if a big songwriter makes a Justin Bieber song, [and] Justin Bieber wants 20 percent of the song … how often do big artists’ hits like that come along? 

Krysiuk, for instance, says Zayn Malik took a songwriting credit and royalties for 2021’s “Unfuckwitable,” which she co-wrote — despite his not being in the room when it was written. (A rep for Malik had no comment.) Scott Harris, a Pact signee who’s co-written hits for Shawn Mendes and the Chainsmokers, recalls being all but blackmailed early in his career: “I had written a song in the room with an artist, and it was a four-way split. The artist wanted to take more or they weren’t going to put the song out, and I let them do it.”

At the time, she didn’t mind that Grande took 10 percent of the songwriting credit for what Krysiuk describes as “changing three or four words,” tweaking the lyric that ended up as “watch you smoke and drink.” (Producer Tommy “TBHits” Brown, who worked on “Better Off,” disputes Krysiuk’s account: “That was definitely not [Grande’s] only contribution,” he says. “We sat down there with the entire song and worked on it together. [Grande] is very, very hands-on with everything she does. She’s not one of the artists that just take songs and doesn’t do anything.”)

Caroline Ailin, who co-wrote Dua Lipa’s breakthrough hit, “New Rules,” had quit the industry by the time it came out in 2017 and was working as a waitress, according to her friend and co-writer Emily Warren — it took that song’s massive success to bring her back. Warren says another songwriter friend of hers has “Grammy Awards, hundreds of millions of streams, and he drives Uber to pay rent. Like, that doesn’t make any sense. It’s the only job I can think of where you do a job and don’t get paid.” 

Thoughts?

Tale as old as time; nothing's going to change unless you get rid out record labels outright :oprah3:

“It’s really hard for someone, especially someone who’s struggling, to wrap their head around writing an interesting song and not just go in trying to write a radio song,” says Warren. “Then all these albums are coming out that are like 13 attempts at a single, versus any dynamics or anything. You can hear what’s happening on a lot of these records. You know that this [artist] has just spent three months in L.A. working with everyone — and everyone, understandably, has tried to get the radio song. And that’s what the album sounds like.”

loved reading this. pretty much all of the artists we stan that can't make a competent cohesive album 

6 minutes ago, TRENCH said:

Tale as old as time; nothing's going to change unless you get rid out record labels outright :oprah3:

loved reading this. pretty much all of the artists we stan that can't make a competent cohesive album 

Artists need to take my accountability for their work aswell-the process of limiting a songwriters involvement in their own creation is just cruel when if you’re at A tier-you can afford to provide equal credit.

On 2/18/2023 at 1:11 PM, evalionisameme said:

I also found it interesting that a lot of these writers seem to not be paid much at all by the labels until the song gains traction even though they’ve been commissioned :facepalm:

Contract illiteracy is one of the biggest problems facing the working class currently imo. 

0-D9-B4-BAE-A7-F2-4-FF4-93-FB-F863-B500-

find someone who looks at you the way Lana looks at Taylor Swift

Jozzy seems like a big upcoming popular songwriter, I only heard about her last year or something from a podcast I watch where someone mentioned her being great and working with Chris Brown and talking about her and I followed her since.

She adds all the songs she is involved with onto a spotify playlist https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4YxgOHsIVPcMZNs6T0Wklc

It's interesting to see the amount of people she's did songs for/with.

A lot of newer female rappers/R&B singers like Latto, Summer Walker, DaniLeigh, Tinashe, Saweetie, Rico Nasty, Bhad Baby, Destiny Rogers and the City Girls.

But even older or well established people like Beyonce, SZA, Madonna, Mary J Blige, Fergie, Monica, Usher,  John Legend, Chris Brown, Trey Songz, Jeremih, Jacquees Coldplay.

She also seems to do many Don Toliver songs and the hooks and singing parts on 21 Savage and A Boogie songs. She also made the Billy Ray Cyrus part of Old Town Road.

Someone that good and talented should probably be well known especially doing that variety of types of music but very few people probably know of her and she probably doesn't even get that much money.

1 hour ago, Barry said:

Jozzy seems like a big upcoming popular songwriter, I only heard about her last year or something from a podcast I watch where someone mentioned her being great and working with Chris Brown and talking about her and I followed her since.

She adds all the songs she is involved with onto a spotify playlist https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4YxgOHsIVPcMZNs6T0Wklc

It's interesting to see the amount of people she's did songs for/with.

A lot of newer female rappers/R&B singers like Latto, Summer Walker, DaniLeigh, Tinashe, Saweetie, Rico Nasty, Bhad Baby, Destiny Rogers and the City Girls.

But even older or well established people like Beyonce, SZA, Madonna, Mary J Blige, Fergie, Monica, Usher,  John Legend, Chris Brown, Trey Songz, Jeremih, Jacquees Coldplay.

She also seems to do many Don Toliver songs and the hooks and singing parts on 21 Savage and A Boogie songs. She also made the Billy Ray Cyrus part of Old Town Road.

Someone that good and talented should probably be well known especially doing that variety of types of music but very few people probably know of her and she probably doesn't even get that much money.

JOZZY was also a SOPHIE frequent collaborator. Bibi Bourelly as well. SOPHIE , Bebe, and Cecile actually collaborated with Rihanna to create a bunch of early demos for ANTi, which none ended up even being used. Except I believe Pose made its way through the cracks, just after being messed with so much to the point that SOPHIE’s credit is pretty much invisible. She had a knack for working with the people she knew had the talent for writing.