Sign in to follow this  
Elle

Lana on BBC Radio 1 with Clara Amfo - March 14th, 2023 [INTERVIEW]

Today, Lana Del Rey was interviewed by Clara Amfo on BBC Radio 1.

Clara Amfo: Okay. Tuesday evening, let's do this. Let's celebrate tonight’s Hottest Record one more time. Yoou heard it a 6 o'clock and we’re gonna talk to its owner which is Lana Del Rey. Lana! Hello!

Lana Del Rey: Hello, hello!

CA: It is lovely to hear from you I think last time I saw you was a live lounge performance when you covered Ariana’s tune which was at least I want say 4 or 5 years ago. It’s been a minute. So, it’s nice to be reconnected. There’s so much going on in your life. So, look. Lets talk about this new album Did you know that there’s a tunnel under Ocean Blvd. Definitely a title that we’re not going to forget, right?

LDR: Probably forget it but remember that it was weird.

CA: But look, that is memorable! I like it. There’s intention there. There’s intention. How are you feeling about releasing music in 2023? ‘Cause, you know, you are such an incredibly established artist. So many artists now cite you as their inspo, but you’re still here. You’re still relevant. You’re still doing it in 2023. Did you imagine that it would last like this long and you’d still be sort of at this capacity ‘cause it’s such a precarious thing being an artist, isn’t it? You know, it can be so fickle sometimes.

LDR: Hell yeah! Precarious thing being an artist. Good lord! Uh, no! No! I did not think I’d be here in 2023. I’m happy to be here I guess. Geez. In 2012, no, the way things were going I definitely didn’t think that. I mean, the word relevant, I don’t even think I thought that would be used, no.

CA: But you are! Like, that’s the thing, like we still get excited about your music, which is like it’s something to celebrate, you know ‘cause I think we live in such a disposable sort of time especially right now where people will like enjoy your song for like, I don’t know, 2 weeks and then it’s like, okay, next!

LDR: I am grateful that, like, at least the intention behind what I was thinking when I was writing pulled this train this far. That’s kind of nice not to have to pull out too many tricks and just sort of keep it moving.

CA: Yeah, you haven’t had to start a TikTok dance yet, which I think is great for you.

LDR: I mean, I’m not gonna lie, I put up a really stupid dance but it was for fun. God, help me.

CA: So, we got this tune “The Grants” an ode to your loved ones. It’s such a gorgeous like swell of music, and like just so choral, all of these voices coming together. How pleasurable was it to record?

LDR: It was really fun. I recorded it with Zack Dawes. The way it stars with the gospel singers, I think you know ‘cause I executive produce too, so once they were learning the chorus and they made that mistake in the beginning, I snapped my finger and I was like, “Zach, snap that part where Melodye tells everyone that they messed up and put it at the top of the song” because that’s how the top of the album should start and then go right into tunnel, because, I mean not only was it soulful, but also so beautifully flawed if you will on their behalf just trying to learn it. Which, of course on the second take they miraculously learned it perfectly. So, to me there’s so much symbolism there because I liked the naturalness of it.

CA: Yeah, it’s such a warming sound. You know, you kind of feel it in your chest almost.

LDR: Yeah, I loved the way when they get it the second time the way they say, “the way John Denver sings” in that high harmony. I was like, “Oh, wow”

CA: Obviously we’re going to be expecting to hear that live ‘cause you’re gonna be headlining The Other Stage at Glastonbury! As I say that, you’re like, am I? Yeah, you are!

LDR: (Laughs) I am, I am, I am, I am. You know what’s so funny, I’ve been excited to like tell people. So, you know, I wanted to tell people because as we started to announce some festivals it’s unfathomable to me to headline the second stage of Glastonbury. I mean, come on. They had asked me to play Glastonbury the last 3 years, but we just weren’t ready. I didn’t want to say yes before we had like a big band. We did do it before like eons ago, but honestly it feels like yesterday. Like, I remember being on that stage vividly because I had never been on a stage where they set the crowd back about 1000 feet, so every time I tried to come forward past the monitors to get closer to everybody, the feedback would like ring through the crowd and I thought, “Oh wow, I’m really stuck on the stage. Like, I can’t go down like I usually do and sing with everybody.”

CA: We cannot wait to see you on that stage. Look, there’s 11 years worth of material to celebrate, so that’s gonna be a joy, and I’m sure this is gonna be in the set, no pressure. “The Grants.”

LDR: Yeah, no, I put it there. I put it at the end. I think there’s going to be a medley mashup. I think it’s going to have to be at this point like one and a half minutes of every single song.

CA: You know what, you’ve got the material to do it. Why not? We’ll eat it up.

LDR: Yeah, yeah.

CA: Lana, thank you very much for the chat! We’re going to play “The Grants” one more time, tonight’s Hottest Record from Lana Del Rey. We will see you in June!

A post shared by LanaBoards (@lanaboards)

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

Full written transcription now in the OP :) x

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

my fav part of the interview was when she said "i'm actually releasing a collection of my unreleased songs throughtout my career before i head to perform for festivals this year, i know a lot of my fans like them and sometimes i perform them too so i was like fuck it why not?"

Wait backing up is it just me or was that lady interviewing lana not it.. she didn’t ask any questions about the new record like she used up most of the time just babbling :crai: but lana sounded cute and it’s exciting to think of what she’s going to add to her set list of if it’ll change entirely 

Just now, lemonadedelrey said:

Wait backing up is it just me or was that lady interviewing lana not it.. she didn’t ask any questions about the new record like she used up most of the time just babbling :crai: but lana sounded cute and it’s exciting to think of what she’s going to add to her set list of if it’ll change entirely 

when she kept being like "the grants is gonna be on the setlist right" it was annoying me so bad:crai:

3bd05eb1685d7f9b53b154c4195388d9.gif

❀˖° ⋆.ೃ࿔ this is my idea of fun °❀⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

1 minute ago, lemonadedelrey said:

She was definitely underwhelming (the interviewer, not Lana). I feel like we could've just gotten so much info/tea but the interviewer was like alright chile anyways next

Just now, imaginist said:

She was definitely underwhelming (the interviewer, not Lana). I feel like we could've just gotten so much info/tea but the interviewer was like alright chile anyways next

she probably didn't like the song :troll: and decided not to ask any interesting questions

I wonder if this was so short because her management told them to just ask her a few questions that don't involve politics or social issues :air:

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

I tuned in yesterday only to realize that the interviewer asked her like 3 questions max :bebe:

𝑳𝒊𝒇𝒆 𝒊𝒔 𝒃𝒆𝒂𝒖𝒕𝒊𝒇𝒖𝒍 𝒃𝒖𝒕 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒅𝒐𝒏'𝒕 𝒉𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝒂 𝒄𝒍𝒖𝒆