hotshot2am

[SINGLE] Say Yes To Heaven + Sped Up Remix + 7" Picture Disc - OUT NOW

2 hours ago, Get Drunk said:

Post your lastfm streams from this week guys.. I’m not too proud but I’m trying! IMG-5284.png

IMG-6632.png

Just now, taco truck said:

I think you are specifically focusing on the “cinematic” part when that’s not the entire point. It’s the overall style of lyricism and atmospheric production that has been switched out for diaristic wordy lyrics and sparse understated production. Honeymoon literally flopped because at that point it was considered to be the most stripped back album of her career lol (I love honeymoon though) not because it was cinematic. 

Exactly, Honeymoon was the continuation of the original "Lana Del Rey" we (well, most of us) saw in MVs like National Anthem, Born To Die, Burning Desire. Honeymoon does have the most obvious Hollywood/cinematic sound, but not in its entirety - the biggest single being a trip-hop banger. Also, it is probably her album with the slowest tempo across all songs.

But then again, cinematic is very subjective. To me, West Coast is peak cinematic Lana. A complex song with RICH production that paints landscapes in front of me. All that with a psych-rock sound, and not HM violins.

11 minutes ago, taco truck said:

I think you are specifically focusing on the “cinematic” part when that’s not the entire point. It’s the overall style of lyricism and atmospheric production that has been switched out for diaristic wordy lyrics and sparse understated production. Honeymoon literally flopped because at that point it was considered to be the most stripped back album of her career lol (I love honeymoon though) not because it was cinematic. 

Honeymoon, Chemtrails and Blue Banisters are all "stripped back" records, so maybe you'll see my point then and why they flopped. It's not the style, but the amount of uptempo songs on each album. The GP is dumb and doesn't care about lyrics etc.

1 minute ago, In My Feelings said:

Exactly, Honeymoon was the continuation of the original "Lana Del Rey" we (well, most of us) saw in MVs like National Anthem, Born To Die, Burning Desire. Honeymoon does have the most obvious Hollywood/cinematic sound, but not in its entirety - the biggest single being a trip-hop banger. Also, it is probably her album with the slowest tempo across all songs.

But then again, cinematic is very subjective. To me, West Coast is peak cinematic Lana. A complex song with RICH production that paints landscapes in front of me. All that with a psych-rock sound, and not HM violins.

I actually think of every pre-chemtrails album as a different genre of movie LOL! 

btd: 50s romance movie’s 

uv: 90s drama movie 

honeymoon: 50s gangster/spy movies

lfl: 90s comedy/ slice of life 

nfr: 90s-2000s coming of age movies 

3bd05eb1685d7f9b53b154c4195388d9.gif

❀˖° ⋆.ೃ࿔ this is my idea of fun °❀⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

Just now, Evergreen said:

Honeymoon, Chemtrails and Blue Banisters are all "stripped back" records, so maybe you'll see my point then and why they flopped. It's not the style, but the amount of uptempo songs on each album.

I think we agree why they flopped but have a different idea of “uptempo” lol… cause the only truly uptempo fast pop songs on btd and Uv to me are ottr, dmd, west coast (barely…) and florida kilos. Most of Lana’s songs are mid-tempo. 

3bd05eb1685d7f9b53b154c4195388d9.gif

❀˖° ⋆.ೃ࿔ this is my idea of fun °❀⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

9 minutes ago, Evergreen said:

Honeymoon, Chemtrails and Blue Banisters are all "stripped back" records, so maybe you'll see my point then and why they flopped. It's not the style, but the amount of uptempo songs on each album. The GP is dumb and doesn't care about lyrics etc.

:pls:

6 minutes ago, taco truck said:

I think we agree why they flopped but have a different idea of “uptempo” lol… cause the only truly uptempo fast pop songs on btd and Uv to me are ottr, dmd, west coast (barely…) and florida kilos. Most of Lana’s songs are mid-tempo. 

Yea lol, I meant that by Lana's standards many songs could be classified as upempo, although in reality they are not. :teehee:

And I'm actually surprised how well SYTH is holding so far, because this version is so dreamy and more slow. But some fans use the success of this song to express their unhappiness with the new material and pass it off as a proof, which to me is silly.

5 minutes ago, mlittle11 said:

:pls:

Look at the top 10 of Billboard Hot 100 and try to not make this face again. :makeup2:

54 minutes ago, Evergreen said:

The label even made her do all these collabs with rappers and more "poppy" songs, so this is really funny to me when someone tries to say "cinematic song = a success"

Unrelated but I do want to say "the label" did not make her do anything. Lust For Life was her decision

47 minutes ago, Evergreen said:

Why are you refusing to acknowledge the change in her lyricism  :gasp:  I love Lana's new music so much but her lyricism changed drastically after Honeymoon and there isn't really any way to deny that. She started being more "direct"; according to her it was because she felt like she had finally "told her story" (one she didn't feel comfortable sharing directly, at least at the time) after HM was out, and she was ready to move on to new things. Which is sort of what she tends to say after every album, until she realizes she has more to say. I agree with you about the GP not rly having taste but SYTH isn't uptempo at all and Lana sings in her "old" style in it. You can't rly deny that..

Now is that necessarily what led to this songs popularity? Nobody can know for sure. But I do think it's a very logical assumption that the GP loves Lana's "old Hollywood" singing style that she uses on songs like SYTH

5 minutes ago, fl0r1dakil0s said:

Unrelated but I do want to say "the label" did not make her do anything. Lust For Life was her decision

Maybe it was her, but she definitely saw the reception for Honeymoon from the general public and decided to make an album for fans and write more uptempo/poppier songs. She even worked a little with Max Martin.

1 minute ago, fl0r1dakil0s said:

Why are you refusing to acknowledge the change in her lyricism  :gasp:  I love Lana's new music so much but her lyricism changed drastically after Honeymoon and there isn't really any way to deny that. She started being more "direct"; according to her it was because she felt like she had finally "told her story" after HM was out, and she was ready to move on to new things. Which is sort of what she tends to say after every album, until she realizes she has more to say. I agree with you about the GP not rly having taste but SYTH isn't uptempo at all and Lana sings in her "old" style in it. You can't rly deny that..

Now is that necessarily what led to this songs popularity? Nobody can know for sure. But I do think it's a very logical guess, that the GP loves Lana's "old Hollywood" singing style that she uses on songs like SYTH

I mean, her songwriting style has definitely changed, but I don't think that's the main reason why some songs get a lot of streams and others don't. You can sped up a song and the GP will just vibe with it, it's just needs to be midtempo at least. A lot of post-Honeymoon songs are getting viral on TikTok too.

Also, Honeymoon is my all-time favorite album, so don't come for me when some of you will read about it being a flop. It wasn't deserved!! :oprah3:

1 hour ago, Evergreen said:

Look at the top 10 of Billboard Hot 100 and try to not make this face again. :makeup2:

im not someone who listens to mainstream music or anything on the billboard hot 100 (unless its lana of course) but im not going to put down other peoples tastes n call them dumb :headache:

besides that, melodic n atmospheric music from lana does so well bc its easy on the ears, fun to listen to, and the subject matter is usually not super heavy like her recent songs. there is a clear difference and people prefer her old style for a reason. people arent stupid bc they prefer more traditional song structure and atmosphere. 

I’m just saying, charts and tiktok success isn’t what makes a great piece of music, tiktok is so fickle, things move so quickly and then they will forget all about the song 

I’m in for the long haul, I want to hear the poetry and I want to hear the diaristic lyricism! And I don’t know how we’re claiming that OB is not cinematic, I think it very much has cinematic songs

maybe her issue was not sending songs to radio.. I feel like peppers felt like a single that could’ve done well.. or maybe not.. I don’t even understand what the GP like lol! Every time I hear the radio it just sounds like samples of songs that used to be successful :facepalm:

S0F1O.gif
dancing all night to the dirty blues 

Releasing Say Yes To Heaven is just proof that if Lana wanted, she could easily be a commercial success, imagine if she dropped an unreleased album with just like 12 songs, she would probably get like a 40 million stream debut 

It's not due to a change in her lyricism. It's because she barely promotes her albums anymore. 

OB had the potential with TT x VB/A&W/LTLI to chart  in BB hot 100 if done right.  She went on 1 radio show and spoke about the album. No one apart from stans read the magazine interviews anymore. 

She needs a team to handle her old socials while she uses HM as a private acc. 

No post about SYTH either. 

:creep: maybe it's time for Ben to interfere again like he did with NFR album cover 

11 hours ago, Xenoblade 2 said:

People saying SYTH is old Lana bfr. 2012 Lana would never let that single cover out of the door.

The new version is still very much new Lana. She removed all bombastic elements out of the song. The only thing old is her voice/vocal delivery which truly shines in the song. Her voice is full and rich. It is crystal clear and very precise enunciation. You don’t need to look up lyrics because you understand what she’s singing just by first listen unlike the songs on OB. The lyrics are relatable to anyone. Christians are listening this song and praying. Church goers. It can be a religious song about god or about a boy or a girl or yourself. Graduations, Weddings, Funerals!!!! (For real this time unlike The Grunts).

The melody is absolutely gorgeous too. It’s just a very strong melodic song.

For the 10.000th time: She didn’t remove ANYTHING that wasn’t there in the OG version (the one that actually never leaked). 

We never got to hear the original Rick Nowels demo until now. Everything else were remixes done by other producers but she (as confirmed by other sources) always went back to Rick's version of the songs. This version is the one that almost appeared on UV.