hotshot2am

[SINGLE] Say Yes To Heaven + Sped Up Remix + 7" Picture Disc - OUT NOW

4 hours ago, Thats why they call me Dita said:

I’m in for the long haul, I want to hear the poetry and I want to hear the diaristic lyricism! And I don’t know how we’re claiming that OB is not cinematic, I think it very much has cinematic songs

Well, you’re clearly in the minority it seems.

I know so many people who used to be fans of her for her cinematic music and the melodies.

They are all gone now because she genuinely stopped being particularly unique.

2 hours ago, CinnamonGay said:

It's not due to a change in her lyricism. It's because she barely promotes her albums anymore. 

OB had the potential with TT x VB/A&W/LTLI to chart  in BB hot 100 if done right.  She went on 1 radio show and spoke about the album. No one apart from stans read the magazine interviews anymore. 

She needs a team to handle her old socials while she uses HM as a private acc. 

No post about SYTH either. 

:creep: maybe it's time for Ben to interfere again like he did with NFR album cover 

i think the change in her songwriting is a big part as well lol. A huge portion of her fan base is practically solely there for cinematic, lush production & her trademark sad girl lyrics & delivery

gLoD.gif

gLoH.gif :beyonce:

10 minutes ago, Psychedelic Pussy said:

i think the change in her songwriting is a big part as well lol. A huge portion of her fan base is practically solely there for cinematic, lush production & her trademark sad girl lyrics & delivery

Imo her songwriting has only gotten better post LFL.

Agreed, she needs to incorporate more chest voice in her newer songs- and she did it with OB. We just need more of it.

Enough with the high siren vocals. 

9 minutes ago, Crazy Husband Stealer said:

I know so many people who used to be fans of her for her cinematic music and the melodies.

I don’t think she stopped being unique.. probsbly more so.. there are no other albums currently on the market like OB.. and you could’ve said that about BTD at the time it was released too as it was ahead of it’s time 

SYTH isn’t unique by any stretch, it’s got sweet and simple lyrics with a pretty melody.. and so so many other female artists currently. I am very much probably the minority who thinks her songwriting has only gotten better over the years, it’s deeper and one thing I love about music is being able to delve in and explore it and it not being so obvious from the surface! 

its not to say I don’t think her early lyricism isn’t great either, I think video games was phenomenal in the sense it was highly visual and so lovely.. and I love nectar of the gods which is so simple.. but when I think of her best work.. it doesn’t spring to mind nectar of the gods.. nor will it be SYTH

Just the same as legendary acts though.. it’s never their big hit that is my favourite song

S0F1O.gif
dancing all night to the dirty blues 

2 hours ago, Crazy Husband Stealer said:

:ohsnap2: Lana is like the only truly unique artist left at this point

Blows my mind that we went through the last 4 years of the most unconventional anti-pop sounding albums for people to say Lana isn’t unique anymore

Californ-I-A homeland of the Gods

Once I found my way

But now I am lost

For some reason I see a lot of people not being excited about the song being officially released, which does not make much sense to me. Say Yes To Heaven was one of my favorite unreleased songs and I am happy whenever Lana releases a song regardless of how well known it is. It is also a great business move for her since the song has been blowing up on TikTok and millions of people will stream the song. She is also a marketing queen for putting out the sped up version since that is the version that most people are familiar with. 

8 hours ago, Crazy Husband Stealer said:

It's actually the diametrical opposite.

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

on the topic of her lyricism or whatever since everyone’s talking about it, it’s useless to say it’s “gotten better” - because art is so subjective and everyone prefers something different 

what Should be acknowledged is simply that it’s changed. not that it’s better or worse, simply that it’s different. she used to write with a lot more imagery, and now she writes in a way that’s a lot more hyperspecific and diaristic (and therefore way less relatable) 

some people are gonna think it’s an upgrade, some people are gonna think it’s a downgrade - everyone listens to music in different ways and for different reasons! both are fine! everyone has different takes!

32 minutes ago, brandon said:

on the topic of her lyricism or whatever since everyone’s talking about it, it’s useless to say it’s “gotten better” - because art is so subjective and everyone prefers something different 

what Should be acknowledged is simply that it’s changed. not that it’s better or worse, simply that it’s different. she used to write with a lot more imagery, and now she writes in a way that’s a lot more hyperspecific and diaristic (and therefore way less relatable) 

some people are gonna think it’s an upgrade, some people are gonna think it’s a downgrade - everyone listens to music in different ways and for different reasons! both are fine! everyone has different takes!

I've been saying that here for years, but a lot of people seem to think it spoils the game. They'd rather bitch and moan. 

I think SYTH is finding success because it's accessible to the general public and has been super cleaned-up, making it both accessible, streamlined, and relatable insofar as the refrain is about love and easy to grasp. There's a huge segment of the general public that wants simple, catchy pop songs, and aren't particularly interested in 'art,' if at all.

4 minutes ago, Vertimus said:

I've been saying that here for years, but a lot of people seem to think it spoils the game. They'd rather bitch and moan. 

I think SYTH is finding success because it's accessible to the general public and has been super cleaned-up, making it both accessible, streamlined, and relatable insofar as the refrain is about love and easy to grasp. There's a huge segment of the general public that wants simple, catchy pop songs, and aren't particularly interested in 'art,' if at all.  

i mean if you wanna get technical, simple catchy pop songs are art too, let’s not just dismiss art because it’s simpler or easily accessible

but yeah obviously simpler lyricism is gonna be more accessible, some people just wanna listen to things with simple and pretty lyrics! not everyone’s trying to hear about nikki lane in the pool or generations of family trauma and that is okay!

1 minute ago, CinnamonGay said:

That's low??  Iirc DT/ Love did way less numbers but debuted at 59 and 44 respectively. 

i mean yeah it’s not super high, but given it’s her highest solo entry on the chart in YEARSSS and this song got barely any actual promo,  i’m not complaining :crai:

8 minutes ago, Surf Noir said:

i think some of you guys just need to admit that you're just not fans anymore or that you just don't get it :eyeroll3:

No, but seriously... I get it, I know you can't be pleased with everything she does, but if every single thing she does makes you so miserable to the point where the only thing you can do is complain... 

Maybe it's time to accept Lana is not for you anymore and move on :toofunny:

My rose garden dreams set on fire by fiends... :illumilana2: 

15 minutes ago, brandon said:

i mean if you wanna get technical, simple catchy pop songs are art too, let’s not just dismiss art because it’s simpler or easily accessible

but yeah obviously simpler lyricism is gonna be more accessible, some people just wanna listen to things with simple and pretty lyrics! not everyone’s trying to hear about nikki lane in the pool or generations of family trauma and that is okay!

i mean yeah it’s not super high, but given it’s her highest solo entry on the chart in YEARSSS and this song got barely any actual promo,  i’m not complaining :crai:

I didn't feel it necessary to get technical. The average American would rather listen to SYTH if it comes on the radio rather than 'Peppers,' 'Taco Truck,' or 'Dealer,' just as 'Sweet' and Arcadia' would very likely appeal to them more, at least musically.

I've lived all over the United States, and most Americans much more interested in entertainment than they are in art, or 'art,' and a good deal aren't even interested in entertainment outside of watching and/or playing sports. I've found little pockets of America--and not necessarily rural America--where gauges or nose rings are still thought 'edgy,' hip, and culturally new. Did you ever visit Buffalo, NY or parts of New Jersey? 'Oldies' stations are still very popular, and, even in South Florida, the popular radio station still mixes new songs with songs from the 70s and 80s. These are just broad facts, I'm not diminishing the people who make these choices.

There are still stores in Buffalo that sell VHS tapes of movies as if they were the latest thing.

Edited by Vertimus