Elle

Candy Necklace - Music Video [OUT NOW]

2 minutes ago, itsTrigonometry said:

She's saying it out loud and STILL some of you guys are not getting it. Imagine if she's being more subtle with it, a lot of you are going to care more about how she looks rather than the actual story.   

Yet when I said I get it you said that I don't? I can get it and say there could have been a different way that would have made me appreciate it more. 

1 minute ago, wildflowerwildfire said:

what’s the point then

8 minutes ago, Brat said:

To my understanding, the 'Candy Necklaces" are all women in Hollywood, or really just famous women, being objectified and glamourized and overall dehumanized. 

I (think) the first might be Jackie Kennedy? The second woman portrayed is obviously Marilyn Monroe. I (also think) the third is a Jessica Rabbit, or a real life Jessica Rabbit-esque woman. Then its the Black Dahlia, and finally, Lana herself. They are the candy necklaces. The constant behind the scenes shots are meant to humanize these women, showing that they're more than figures or representations in the media, they're real people. 

The blood, to me, signifies the often tragic ends to this style of life, being idolized, etc. It could also just be a reference to the tragic end to Elizabeth Short (Black Dahlia), as her scene was shown right after the blood.

read the bold mama

~    fantasia-seductive.gif ~

16 minutes ago, Brat said:

To my understanding, the 'Candy Necklaces" are all women in Hollywood, or really just famous women, being objectified and glamourized and overall dehumanized. 

I (think) the first might be Jackie Kennedy? The second woman portrayed is obviously Marilyn Monroe. I (also think) the third is a Jessica Rabbit, or a real life Jessica Rabbit-esque woman. Then its the Black Dahlia, and finally, Lana herself. They are the candy necklaces. The constant behind the scenes shots are meant to humanize these women, showing that they're more than figures or representations in the media, they're real people. 

The blood, to me, signifies the often tragic ends to this style of life, being idolized, etc. It could also just be a reference to the tragic end to Elizabeth Short (Black Dahlia), as her scene was shown right after the blood.

I think the first look shown is the Black Dahlia, since she has a black dahlia in her hair, second is Marilyn, the long blonde hair and white dress is her Burning Desire look, then she pulls off her wig to reveal hair similar to her Ride hair (and walks off with an older man, could be a sugar daddy, other Ride reference) 

Lastly we see her with her National anthem/NFR hair and makeup

I think they could also be representing other women but I think a lot of these looks are self-referential 

21 minutes ago, brandon said:

i mean, i think we all get it, the concept has been explicitly stated multiple times by lanz herself and we aren’t stupid :crai: i think most people are just critiquing it in the sense that it could’ve been done a little bit differently 

it's perfect. In the video, she dies and gets a  Star on the fucking Hollywood walk of fame. Just like Marilyn and so many others she's channeling here. And for what? Being famous and celebrated? Were those icons happy? No.

the video couldn't have been more subversive and clever.

49 minutes ago, sparklrtrailrheaven said:

I wasn't sold at first, but... I'm sold :worship:

Not only does this work so beautifully with the process-is-product aesthetic on Ocean Blvd, but is honestly such a definitive LDR statement. Like, the fact that there's already discussions about the BTS shots being inauthentic just speaks to how well she executed this concept of "blurring the lines between real and the fake" (to quote a certain BtD classic). You never know what's a persona and what's genuine LDR (whatever that is!). And the audacity of ending the video with her posing with her (as yet) nonexistent Hollywood star? It doesn't get any more classic Lana. In awe

THIS THIS THIS :defeated:

it is exactly what I feel... like 'very Lana Del Rey' it gave me BTD, National Anthem, West Coast vibes, old Hollywood, old man, black&white, glamour, blood :defeated:

Just look at all these woman stories, Dahlia was killed, Marilyn committed suicide, and media STILL 'glamorise' their death...

And the last shoot of this mv is probably what would happen to Lana if she was dead - glamorising her death making film about her 'pretty' BTD days even tho media hated her back then.

new favorite music video :trisha: (also why is everyone fighting)

9c2f159f3783d5d514e1aebcfad2d2ff.jpg

you're in the wind, i'm in the water, nobody's son, nobody's daughter... ౨ৎ·゚:*

Ok, I am usually the last person to get involved in the pointless back-and-forth's about someone's artistic vision and someone's subjective reaction to that very vision but believe me it is POSSIBLE to GET IT and still be able to experience a thought process in which you might wonder how things could have played out had the artist gone with a different direction of explaining their vision. 

I get that you get it and I get that you love it but do you get that I get it and do you get that I might have a different opinion?

Just now, barttttender said:

because some people apparently wanted another dumbass superficial pop video (for a song that's everything but) 🙄

Or maybe because some people are being so mean to other users just because they have a different opinion ... telling others "you're not getting it" isn't making you special

lana-del-rey-painting.gif