Elle

Candy Necklace - Music Video [OUT NOW]

Beautiful & meaningful footage, but I do hope this video gets the Arcadia treatment and she releases another cut of the video--the video without the behind-the-scene stuff. :xgiggle:

14 minutes ago, mlittle11 said:

hmmm this is interesting. i never thought of the relationship angle that could have lead to her death. someone said the older man represented the music industry/media but he felt more like a supportive figure up until the death scene so im unsure. 

basically, the old man represents the music industry. Always driving her around, watching her in the back seat in the mirror, paying for everything.

john baptiste represents music. They perform together, they laugh at the people beneath them, they have fun behind the "man's"

back. 

then she dies (presumably killed or, rather, killed off by the old man/the industry) and baptiste is sad. his partner is dead. 

but she gets a hollywood star in the afterlife. And the industry will keep making money off her image.

it's basically an afront to the american star-making machine and selling yourself and your art for money. Lana is saying she's not interested in that, anymore. 

25 minutes ago, Brat said:

To my understanding, the 'Candy Necklaces" are all women in Hollywood, or really just famous women, being objectified and glamourized and overall dehumanized. 

I (think) the first might be Jackie Kennedy? The second woman portrayed is obviously Marilyn Monroe. I (also think) the third is a Jessica Rabbit, or a real life Jessica Rabbit-esque woman. Then its the Black Dahlia, and finally, Lana herself. They are the candy necklaces. The constant behind the scenes shots are meant to humanize these women, showing that they're more than figures or representations in the media, they're real people. 

The blood, to me, signifies the often tragic ends to this style of life, being idolized, etc. It could also just be a reference to the tragic end to Elizabeth Short (Black Dahlia), as her scene was shown right after the blood.

I don't think you're too far off at all, I just wanted to add that these women are all also depicted as being vulnerable almost to a fault - where they may feel a certain type of way (MM died by suicide because the man she loved didn't love her, BD may have been killed by someone close to her, but who knows.) I think a lot of the people she chose to play in this video were chosen by purpose too, coincidentally lining up with her own eras. Marilyn Monroe / May Jailer; Elizabeth Grant / Elizabeth Smart (Black Dahlia), then at the end Lana Del Rey as Lana Del Rey. It's interesting that all were called stage names that weren't their birth names. It's just interesting little details.

The blood to me is more representative of the cost of this lifestyle, which you might consider a tragic end. Lana with the media. Marilyn with the sex icon and publicity of the love she had for someone who would never truly be hers, the Black Dahlia wanting to be a famous actress but ending up dying while chasing that dream. By the end of it, Lana isn't wearing any necklace, so she has fulfilled the dream without costing her her life, while still costing something else to her. Whatever that is.

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

This video was showstopping. One of her best. If it didn’t have the BTS footage it would’ve just been glamour shots with no clear story. Very gorgeous glamour shots, but it wouldn’t have the same impact.

qfrWuBl.png

7 minutes ago, bigspender said:

i loved it but i’m also hoping we get like a directors cut or something :biblio: either way still a beautiful video 

But this is the director’s cut. The bts and talking scenes are intentional to strengthen the theme and message they wish to convey

nF70D0F.png

44 minutes ago, rural legend said:

Ok, I am usually the last person to get involved in the pointless back-and-forth's about someone's artistic vision and someone's subjective reaction to that very vision but believe me it is POSSIBLE to GET IT and still be able to experience a thought process in which you might wonder how things could have played out had the artist gone with a different direction of explaining their vision. 

I get it that you get it and I get it that you love it but do you get that I get it and do you get that I might have a different opinion?

I'm sorry. I was not trying to attack you, I was just disagreeing with your opinion about how "they didn't have to say it out loud", but I probably should've said it differently.
I'm sorry, sending you love

also love the mix of National Anthem and LFL look at the end :true:

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole