Elle

Candy Necklace - Music Video [OUT NOW]

So I haven’t watched it yet.. just reading your comments.. but her whole thing of getting the star at the end just as Marilyn did for being abused by the industry 

but Lana referenced all this Hollywood glamour in the beginning because she wanted to be that too.. she did make that comment “I wish I was dead already” and I’m sure she alluded somewhere that she saw herself having the same fate. But now she’s happy and realises she doesn’t have to play the part anymore. She don’t need no Damn star, I love her! 

S0F1O.gif
dancing all night to the dirty blues 

Maybe I'm an idiot but I'm no closer to understanding what Candy Necklaces represent in the song. Obviously in the video, they're being depicted as real necklaces and I can get the imagery. But still don't understand in the context of the lyrics. 

This video made me so nostalgic... I don't know why I want to cry. Sad and beautiful at the same time - only Lana Del Rey can do something like that. I loved all the looks soo much, she truly is blessed with beauty (and rage) 

I'm excited to see more of videos from this era.... :flutter:

1 minute ago, DrunkBeautyQueen said:

Maybe I'm an idiot but I'm no closer to understanding what Candy Necklaces represent in the song. Obviously in the video, they're being depicted as real necklaces and I can get the imagery. But still don't understand in the context of the lyrics. 

same lol

71893bcb693abbd4fcd17d90a7e6874f862f6dcf

24 minutes ago, TrashMagiq said:

This video was showstopping. One of her best. If it didn’t have the BTS footage it would’ve just been glamour shots with no clear story. Very gorgeous glamour shots, but it wouldn’t have the same impact.

Altough i love the video just the way it is (especially after hearing Lana explaining the scenes in the middle) - i dont think it's true. We would still have therapy scenes (mouthing the lyrics "feeling super suicidal"), that disturbing old man and Lana feeling uncomfortable and taking off the wig and the final death scene with walk of fame star saying LDR (suggesting that she herself doesn't want to end up like the women she portrays) - and of course the song itself. Seems like a pretty clear story with big impact to me and the moral would be pretty much the same. 

Love that she included that BTS scenes tho because it looks like a big F you to the media as she clearly proves her point with not releasing this as a conventional music video. 

3 minutes ago, DrunkBeautyQueen said:

Just think about the song and the video as describing her turbulent relationship with being a Hollywood star. 

the candy necklaces represent the glamour of stardom but also is seen as a “golden handcuff” here.

I think people’s default for Lana sometimes is to assume in her songs that she’s always singing about men but that’s only partially. A lot of the time she’s singing about her struggles with fame and critics.

5 minutes ago, DrunkBeautyQueen said:

In my opinion candy necklaces represent innocence and also beauty. But it’s edible. It’s a metaphor for being obsessed with the magic of an industry that has a reputation of chewing up the bright ones and spitting them out. Like all of the femme fatales she references in the video, herself included! Atleast that’s how I’ve always thought of it. Of course there’s also the theory it’s just a song about addiction period. But it’s a pretty picture to imagine a person as a candy necklace and through trial and tribulations pieces are smashed, eaten, and just fall off with time. But it remains jewelry notwithstanding.

5 minutes ago, Americen Whore said:

Why did she re-uploaded it :oprah2: thought it’s the actual music video without bts, had me for a sec :wtf3:C8-A092-A0-202-F-482-E-BC48-98-B807-BE36

I thought she posted the version without the behind the scenes :bebe:

1 minute ago, brooklyn bitch said:

Just think about the song and the video as describing her turbulent relationship with being Hollywood star. 

I think people’s default for Lana sometimes is to assume in her songs that she’s always singing about men but that’s only partially. A lot of the time she’s singing about her struggles with fame and critics.

I get what you're saying and I'm not necessarily saying you're wrong, but to me the song is so clearly about a relationship. I guess I'm desperate for meaning bc the rest of the song resonates so much with me that I want to figure out how to make the chorus about me too lol