Elle

Candy Necklace - Music Video [OUT NOW]

Pleeeeeaaaassseeee I am absolutely inconsolable rn I can’t even process my thoughts about this :trisha:

She’s a genius. The symbolism throughout the whole video has me dead. The concept is incredible. Truly blurring the lines between real and the fake…

C1-E169-E1-4-B88-41-C7-89-FE-0433651208-B8 B6-F7262-A-A00-B-4-DC6-9793-E6-B35-A6-B0-EF2

The bigger the hair, the higher the crown :xcry: 

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

This is my favourite thing in a long time.

Also, I didn't quite fully grasp what she was explaining until I read this YouTube comment:

Screenshot-20230511-065311-You-Tube.jpg

Edit: I also need to say, that ending from the diamonds dropping into blood, to the implied murder scene, to her smile at the ending... that gave me the same chill that her BTD era videos did with the car crash in BTD, being pulled underwater in Blue Jeans, the jump in Summertime Sadness, the shooting in National Anthem. This is full circle IM CryINg. Also thank you Jon Batiste. You were gorgeous too!

1 minute ago, Ultra Violet said:

Also, I didn't quite fully grasp what she was explaining until I read this YouTube comment:

If she really was channeling Veronica Lake that's so mean because of the Hollywood Star scene.

Because only two people showed up to Veronica's ceremony :oopna:
Veronica Lake in front of her Walk of Fame star. Her last trip to Hollywood  1971 | Veronica lake, Vintage hollywood stars, Film noir

she looks like a vampire goddess here I'm SHAKING :trisha:

I love this picture so much they look so fucking good they look like they're ready to take over and rule the whole world

345596928-226225346703276-57641557551171

1.jpg  3.jpg  2.jpg 

2 minutes ago, prettywhenimhigh said:

she looks like a vampire goddess here I'm SHAKING :trisha:

I love this picture so much they look so fucking good they look like they're ready to take over and rule the whole world

345596928-226225346703276-57641557551171

we were robbed of color scenes wtf :paris: 

WGe8ynS.gif

3 minutes ago, Surf Noir said:

we were robbed of color scenes wtf :paris: 

yeah ngl those colors are serving hard :wowcry:

1.jpg  3.jpg  2.jpg 

14 hours ago, bluevelvetcola said:

Ok someone provide me with a thought-provoking analysis about the deeper meaning of the video because I’m dumb :stareney2:

Lana is definitely referencing Marilyn's death and comparing it to her own life, so I did some research.

Stay with me, sorry it's a bit lengthy

First, we have to look at some theories about Marilyn's death for context.

In a recent Netflix documentary, Marilyn's housekeeper, Eunice Murray, stated Robert Kennedy was at Monroe's home in the afternoon on the day she died. In the days leading up to her death, Marilyn told a friend that she was "very much in love and was going to marry Bobby Kennedy." The housekeeper also stated that Bobby and Marilyn had a terrible fight on the day of her death. The documentary confirms that Bobby flew to the airport in a helicopter to catch a flight around 2 or 3 am on the night of her death.

(https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/a39840131/marilyn-monroe-death-true-story-netflix/)

According to an article discussing Marilyn's death, an LA District Attorney "believed that Monroe was given just enough chloral hydrate to make her unconscious. Someone then dissolved about 30 Nembutal capsules in water, which was given to Monroe via an enema bag. The drugs were absorbed by the large intestine, and that was how she died from an overdose. Based on his theory, Miner said that someone else killed Monroe."

When the pills are taken normally, orally and undissolved, they leave a yellow stain on the small intestine. Marilyn's did not have a stain.

Continuing with this theory, Marilyn was crossed by her lover, Bobby, who decided to kill her after their argument earlier that day. He gave her chloral hydrate and injected dissolved Nembutal into her large intestine and she died.

I think this is highly convincing, especially because her organs conveniently disappeared after the short investigation concluded.

The video as it relates to Marilyn:

Looking at the video, it's clear the old man is Bobby and Marilyn is playing the role of his sugar baby, "dancin like the young and reckless". The necklaces represent the gifts he gave her and how the dangerous nature of their relationship, and the thrill she got from being involved with someone as notorious as "Rockefeller," kept her holding on. The same could be said about her relationship with fame. She eventually lost her sense of self after "playing" Marilyn for so long, and it led to her death. The candy necklaces can also be seen as metaphors for his, or fame's, materialistic/romantic/sexual possession over her, and you can see her uncomfortably pulling at the necklaces later in the video wanting to be free.

Later, the bloody car and trunk heighten the gruesome truth of the paparazzi and media publicizing photos of Marilyn's gruesome fate.

Over-all Message: 

At 4:07, Lana says, The whole thing about the video–why it’s all supposed to be behind the scenes–is because all these women who change their names, change their hair–like me–it’s like they all fell into these different snake holes. The whole point is: how do you learn from that and not fall into a thing?”

These women fell into "snake holes" while playing their celebrity personas, like actresses, and got hurt searching for fame and its benefits. The downside of entertaining a celebrity persona is your persona begins to split between your character and your true identity. Eventually, you lose your grounding, and someone takes advantage.

Down the thread, @wildheart noted the similarities between Lana's and Veronica Lake's outfit in "I Married A Witch" promotions.

"Veronica Lake was born Constance Ockelman and changed her name when she came to Hollywood. She was known for blonde wavy hair and her style became very popular in the 40s. She struggled with alcoholism and while she didn’t die, her addiction did have to do with her leaving Hollywood to find recovery."

Lana is paying homage to Veronica, and pointing out similarities between her, Veronica's, and Marilyn's stories. They all created Hollywood personas with new hair, names, and personalities.

veronica-lake.jpg

The last shot with her sitting on the Hollywood Walk of Fame is a reference to this pic of Marilyn, I think. Pretty sure it's edited using pics of Norma Jean on the beach but conceptually, it's strikingly similar.

d1e5a36135a48ca8055ff8559459ac46-hollywo

SPOILER_Screenshot_20230510-121619.png

Lana also isn't wearing a necklace in this shot which shows she is free from him and her desire for the thrill :P

She's reclaiming herself and her accomplishments, free of anyone's control.

(She's referencing the Love music video with the hair, makeup, and outfit - I LOVE)

In the video, Lana explores the dangerous power dynamics and situations that can be forged when someone creates and maintains a Hollywood persona.

She questions how you can learn from these situations, and how you keep from falling into similar ones. Additionally, how can you regain your stolen safety, stability, and sense of self after playing a Hollywood persona/splitting your personality for so long?

Lana is referencing the Born to Die era in multiple shots throughout the video. Going by my theory with the Marilyn and Bobby parallel, I'm guessing she was in a similar situation with someone around the BTD era (my guess is Harvey but who knows). Ultimately, she was haunted and thrilled by her relationship with Rockefeller/fame because of how dangerous it could be for her. She was so caught up in playing the part, she lost herself.

SUCH an incredible music video 100000/10

tumblr_olpfi47DBl1uuo18wo1_500.gifvtumblr_olpfi47DBl1uuo18wo3_500.gifv

13 minutes ago, Ultra Violet said:

Edit: I also need to say, that ending from the diamonds dropping into blood, to the implied murder scene, to her smile at the ending... that gave me the same chill that her BTD era videos did with the car crash in BTD, being pulled underwater in Blue Jeans, the jump in Summertime Sadness, the shooting in National Anthem. This is full circle IM CryINg. Also thank you Jon Batiste. You were gorgeous too!

agreed!

also Baptiste is hot af. I would go down on him for days...... days!

I'm about to start reading through the thread for this masterpiece of a video. Her darkest video ever. What's in the box, that has historically held a woman surgically torn to pieces? Why it's Lana Del Rey being cemented onto the Hollywood walk of Fame. Her grave. 

32 minutes ago, Rocket0212 said:

No, I hate this. Hoping that someone on youtube will make a version without song being interrupted every 10 seconds.

6 minutes ago, x VB said:

How is this considered a music video? It's a 10 min bts. Amazing visuals and looks ruined by this mess. My hopes are lost at this point

Boo Tomatoes GIF - Boo Tomatoes Squidward Booed - Discover & Share GIFs

Not that "Candy Necklace" was my favorite song off the album to begin with, but those cutaways and BTS bits were getting jarring and disruptive.

Still, wasn't until her comment about snakeholing into yourself in the limelight that I understood the intention of it and decided to watch it through a different lens rather than as someone just looking for a music video.

This was ALSO a glimpse of what Dan Auerbach mentioned working with Lana during the UV era, how (in the most positive way,) she was difficult to work with, because she knows exactly what she wants and doesn't want anyone fucking with her vision.

None of that was acting, you can hear the shaking frustration in her voice as she's saying she can't act like a robot during the Monroe bit. That wasn't a playful "go away" when she caught the cameraman recording her.

It can really be hard working on your art under a label as a big time star. You have a lot of hands in the pot, and it gets to the point that people are telling you what to do with your life labors and their fruits.

Sometimes it's those same people that contribute to the snakeholing instead of completely supporting you and working with you. It's the Hollywood curse. You don't really make it in stardom without a group of people imposing their idea of who you should be as a star upon you. Or what you do with what you create.

Not many artists are willing to show that the process really does carry a lot of grief and peeves, especially when you're signed on a big label. Sometimes it puts you on the verge of tears or even incandescently pisses you off.

This video also got released during a time where other artists have been forthcoming with their feelings about labels/big name streaming services, the commercialization and commodification of their work, how little agency they have, and how little many actually get back (especially smaller artists.)

We're going to see a revolution in pop culture soon in our time.

So, yeah, honestly... Great video. Just for the honesty and candor. Wouldn't binge it, but I'm glad it exists for the commentary alone.

5 minutes ago, x VB said:

How is this considered a music video? It's a 10 min bts. Amazing visuals and looks ruined by this mess. My hopes are lost at this point

It’s considered art by the majority of the forum . 
🧐

Don’t loose hope , the studio shots are majestic , hopefully we’ll get the directors cut

54 minutes ago, Ultra Violet said:

I think she does not actually die at the end. I think her character has a happy ending unlike other stars and that murder scene is just a plot twist of just being a movie scene.

She says "all these women changed their name, changed their hair like me, they all fell into this different snake holes, so the whole point is how you learn from that and not fall into your own thing.""

LASSO

lasso.gif

SEPTEMBER 2024