Elle

Candy Necklace - Music Video [OUT NOW]

2 hours ago, barttttender said:

better one great one like cn than 5 mediocre ones like arcadia, bb, arcadia 2, white dress, wtc. Waste of money, and time

I agree with this. I much prefer 1-2 professional videos now than 5 homemade videos. 

I love her pre-2016 homemade videos with all my heart, but she doesn't quite do them like before. We really, really needed this Candy Necklace video. Thank you Lana and Rich :party:

12 minutes ago, GeminiLanaFan said:

I love the meta references to her old videos, which are almost caricatural. Especially the old guy: he’s really an old man, not even some tattooed daddy. 

I think the old guy represents the alleged Black Dahlia killer, George Hodel

I love her Instagram caption:

"Don't take the necklace...and if you already did - give it back..."

This was one of the most ambiguous songs in the album and now that she did a music video, the lyrics are much more clear. That's one of the reasons music videos add so much to the album and era, it's not just visuals.

LASSO

lasso.gif

SEPTEMBER 2024

6 hours ago, Good Intentions said:

how could the video cut it if they used an extended version of the song? I hope this version gets released on streaming 

Like you get half of the verse and then there's more instrumental before the other half it's not very fluid, on purpose 

Absolutely love the video tho, now more than yesterday 

what are peoples thoughts on if the bts parts are scripted or not, like when she's saying she feels like a robot or telling the camera person to get out, do you guys think she was playing into the persona or was that actually how she was feeling?

10 minutes ago, Candy Necklace said:

what are peoples thoughts on if the bts parts are scripted or not, like when she's saying she feels like a robot or telling the camera person to get out, do you guys think she was playing into the persona or was that actually how she was feeling?

I don't picture her being rude to the crew so I wanna say scripted 

7 minutes ago, DCooper said:

I can't get over how good this is, I hope David Lynch sees it :lange:

no fr I NEED him to watch it

1.jpg  3.jpg  2.jpg 

50 minutes ago, Rico25 said:

I don't picture her being rude to the crew so I wanna say scripted 

Yeah, that’s kinda what I was thinking too but I think her sibs recorded some of the bts footage and I can picture her being rude to them (normal sibling behavior)

1 hour ago, Rico25 said:

I think the old guy represents the alleged Black Dahlia killer, George Hodel

Absolutely, though George Hodel was never officially charged as the BD murderer and said murderer has never been 100% identified--like Jack the Ripper. 

There's numerous candidates, including famous persons like Woody Guthrie, Orson Welles, and May Ray; most or all have been ruled out, though Man Ray was an associate of George Hodel. 

I'm glad Lana didn't push the Black Dahlia stuff very far at all--maybe she realized it was a mistake and bad karma to go too far down that road. 

9 minutes ago, Vertimus said:

Absolutely, though George Hodel was never officially charged as the BD murderer and said murderer has never been 100% identified--like Jack the Ripper. 

There's numerous candidates, including famous persons like Woody Guthrie, Orson Welles, and May Ray; most or all have been ruled out, though Man Ray was an associate of George Hodel. 

I'm glad Lana didn't push the Black Dahlia stuff very far at all--maybe she realized it was a mistake and bad karma to go too far down that road. 

I mean you do have a suitcase with blood in it but everything is very metaphorical

There's numerous candidates, including famous persons like Woody Guthrie, Orson Welles, and May Ray. 

I think she pushed it pretty far tbh (the hairstyle, the murder, the film noir aesthetic, the post WWII elements (decor, music), the Los Angeles setting, ending the MV on Hollywood Boulevard where The Black Dahlia actually lived for a while (and at the time of her murder I believe)... I mean it was very obvious at first watch.

3 minutes ago, loveyoumadly said:

I think she pushed it pretty far tbh (the hairstyle, the murder, the film noir aesthetic, the post WWII elements (decor, music), the Los Angeles setting, ending the MV on Hollywood Boulevard where The Black Dahlia actually lived for a while (and at the time of her murder I believe)... I mean it was very obvious at first watch.

For me, a body seen severed in two in the distance by an approaching little boy and the boy's mother,  just off a sidewalk in a field, would have been pushing it far, or any visual, blurry or clear, of the horrible things the killer did to the BD's face. 

Since the BD herself was never a star or starlet, never rode around Hollywood in limousines (or the equivalent), was never met by paparazzi when she exited a vehicle, and never attended an Hollywood opening in such style, the woman portrayed could be any 40s star or starlet, and there was also, to the best of my knowledge, no association of the BD with a bloody trunk. 

20 minutes ago, Rico25 said:

I mean you do have a suitcase with blood in it but everything is very metaphorical

You mean the bloody trunk? As I just said above, to my knowledge, there was never a large bloody trunk, or a trunk of any kind, associated with the murder of the BD. Her severed corpse was first come upon by a mother and a little boy; the body was just off the sidewalk in a field. How it got there is still part of the mystery. No one believes she was actually murdered in the field. 

There's at least a dozen books about the case, check them out, some quite gruesome, but all full of speculation and guess work. It's a case similar to the Jack the Ripper murders, in which everyone and their mothers have been put forth as candidates for the killing. 

CORRECTION: It was a little girl and her mother, not a boy. 

For me, a body seen severed in two in the distance by an approaching little boy and the boy's mother,  just off a sidewalk in a field, would have been pushing it far, or any visual, blurry or clear, of the horrible things the killer did to the BD's face. 

Since the BD herself was never a star or starlet, never rode around Hollywood in limousines (or the equivalent), was never met by paparazzi when she exited a vehicle, and never attended an Hollywood opening in such style, the woman portrayed could be any 40s star or starlet, and there was also, to the best of my knowledge, no association of the BD with a bloody trunk. 

A big idea around BD is that she was never left to rest in peace, because her death was extremely present in the media, making her the sad legend she is today. She was tortured and never left alone by the press which is obviously one of - if not the biggest - theme Lana explored on the record. 

So it's obvious to me, considering the context in which this video was made, the lyrics and themes of OB, that she's telling this story in particular and not any other 40s star. As I said earlier, I really love the vid, it's beautiful but (to me) expected, listening to the record, I expected Lana to approach visuals this way, the BD reference is logical (to me). 

33 minutes ago, Candy Necklace said:

Yeah, that’s kinda what I was thinking too but I think her sibs recorded some of the bts footage and I can picture her being rude to them (normal sibling behavior)

Prob charlie lmaoooo

giphy.gif?cid=790b761167f1bae274183a253d