Elle

Candy Necklace - Music Video [OUT NOW]

Rana Deru Rei after recording "Kintsugi"

VL2JKRJ.jpg

@WHORE OF TROPICO   ⇨   @SALVAWHORE             

Pokemon Eevee GIF - Pokemon Eevee Flower - Discover & Share GIFs                                   evee-dancing.gif

Bring Me That Horizon — ianime0: Pokemon XY | Eevee Dancing

5 minutes ago, loveyoumadly said:

A big idea around BD is that she was never left to rest in peace, because her death was extremely present in the media, making her the sad legend she is today. She was tortured and never left alone by the press which is obviously one of - if not the biggest - theme Lana explored on the record. 

So it's obvious to me, considering the context in which this video was made, the lyrics and themes of OB, that she's telling this story in particular and not any other 40s star. As I said earlier, I really love the vid, it's beautiful but (to me) expected, listening to the record, I expected Lana to approach visuals this way, the BD reference is logical (to me). 

Okay. If you're making an association between the contents of the album, especially CN, the title track, and A&W, I'm not approaching the album in terms of the Black Dahlia at all, before or after I learned about the making of the CN video. 

As I see it, there is no correlation between the Black Dahlia murder and the lyrics to 'Candy Necklace.' My guess is that, after writing 'Candy Necklace,' and perhaps favoring it (which would explain why she replaced 'Purify' with it) and thinking in terms of a music video, she or she and her team thought of doing a video around the theme of the Black Dahlia.

We don't know when Lana first learned about the Dahlia murder, but I think anyone who has seriously looked into the case and seen the most gruesome photos can attest that it is a extremely haunting case, full of lost hope, innocence, and promise, tragedy, and yes, torture and the most extreme kind of violence. So perhaps the case is relatively new to Lana. 

So making a kind of low-key 'tribute' to the case seems reasonable to me; Lana doesn't exploit the case, in my opinion, as she might have. 

And obviously, Marilyn Monroe is highlighted too, and she had her own sad story and demise. 

25 minutes ago, honeymoon is alive said:

do you guys think the candy necklaces means the fame? or something related? and that she was obsessed with it before 

I think it does, especially that in the MV she's shown wearing pearls and diamonds necklaces, that she refers as "candy', diamonds and pearl represent the money, fame and stardom in particular during Monroe era. She doesn't care about that fame anymore it's futile to her, she's oppressed by it (White noise coming out of my brain) Just like in 13 beaches she personifies fame as a lover (Sittin' on the sofa, feelin' super suicidal Hate to say the word, but, baby, hand on the Bible I do Feel like it's you, the one who's bringing me down Thought that we were cool and we were kickin' it like Tribe Called Quest You the best, but, baby, you've been bringing me down I can see it now ) What she was once obsessed with (BTD era, hence the hairstyle reference) is now something killing her. 

38 minutes ago, Vertimus said:

Okay. If you're making an association between the contents of the album, especially CN, the title track, and A&W, I'm not approaching the album in terms of the Black Dahlia at all, before or after I learned about the making of the CN video. 

As I see it, there is no correlation between the Black Dahlia murder and the lyrics to 'Candy Necklace.' My guess is that, after writing 'Candy Necklace,' and perhaps favoring it (which would explain why she replaced 'Purify' with it) and thinking in terms of a music video, she or she and her team thought of doing a video around the theme of the Black Dahlia.

We don't know when Lana first learned about the Dahlia murder, but I think anyone who has seriously looked into the case and seen the most gruesome photos can attest that it is a extremely haunting case, full of lost hope, innocence, and promise, tragedy, and yes, torture and the most extreme kind of violence. So perhaps the case is relatively new to Lana. 

So making a kind of low-key 'tribute' to the case seems reasonable to me; Lana doesn't exploit the case, in my opinion, as she might have. 

And obviously, Marilyn Monroe is highlighted too, and she had her own sad story and demise. 

Yes, it's not the only reference but a main inspiration I think, throughout the album, it's a retrospective on her carrer, this tunnel under ocean blvd. All the tracks discuss this internal dialogue. She's questioning what's important to her, should she continue down that road (fame and stardom) ? What's her legacy ? Does she need to concentrate on more important things ? (family, god)... Referencing old Hollywood stardom is not new to her but this time she's putting it into perspective (hence showing the BTS), it's not that glamorous to her anymore (that's why I'm not surprised by the MV as it pretty much reflects perfectly the themes she put out on the record.)

18 minutes ago, loveyoumadly said:

Just like in 13 beaches she personifies fame as a lover (Sittin' on the sofa, feelin' super suicidal Hate to say the word, but, baby, hand on the Bible I do Feel like it's you, the one who's bringing me down Thought that we were cool and we were kickin' it like Tribe Called Quest You the best, but, baby, you've been bringing me down I can see it now ) What she was once obsessed with (BTD era, hence the hairstyle reference) is now something killing her. 

wow, the personification of fame makes so much sense, i haven't analyzed the lyrics this way till now. the song got a whole other meaning with the music video fr

58 minutes ago, honeymoon is alive said:

do you guys think the candy necklaces means the fame? or something related? and that she was obsessed with it before 

I think fame AND old Hollywood glamour/fascination for celebrities who've had a tragic path instead of being this simple girl she's reintroduced to us with COCC and BB

I LOVE IT. She looks so beautiful, my favorite part is the end of the video with the Hollywood star, also my favorite look. Also really loved the long blonde wig and cloak 😭

I hope we get another MV this era! Hopefully for A&W, Paris TX, Peppers, Taco Truck, or the Title Track!!!

Lana Del Rey, Maggie Lindemann, Banks, Melanie Martinez, & Taylor Momsen are my guardian angels 

Lana + bouffant hair = UNMATCHED

@WHORE OF TROPICO   ⇨   @SALVAWHORE             

Pokemon Eevee GIF - Pokemon Eevee Flower - Discover & Share GIFs                                   evee-dancing.gif

Bring Me That Horizon — ianime0: Pokemon XY | Eevee Dancing

I’m just thinking…

What if the MV is about the murder of “Lana Del Rey”? Think of that last scene with the Hollywood star being in Heaven, together with the BTD look, all the acclaim and fame that goes with having a Hollywood star. Lana Del Rey will forever live on, her image, her art (BTD had record streams 10y after its release which is crazy) even if the real person behind her chooses to go in another direction (even if that direction is still music, but perhaps music that is more & more true to who she now wants to be & how she now feels, many years after she began this journey). With that ending, it sounds to me like she’s accepted the acclaim and the fame but she’s leaving it in the past (throwback to the BTD look) and it’s not something that’s shiny & dazzling anymore. That coupled with Ocean Blvd ending on VB which to me always signified a new beginning and what she was mentioning in the Blue Banisters livestream about “doing something crazy” “doing something totally new” etc … HAS ME COMPLETELY EXCITED! 

3 hours ago, Candy Necklace said:

what are peoples thoughts on if the bts parts are scripted or not, like when she's saying she feels like a robot or telling the camera person to get out, do you guys think she was playing into the persona or was that actually how she was feeling?

I think the whole video was scripted and the 'bts' parts belong to the original concept. So there's always an intentional message behind every scene, and even when she's playing someone, she's expressing what she feels.

On 5/10/2023 at 5:50 PM, itsTrigonometry said:

I'm sorry. I was not trying to attack you, I was just disagreeing with your opinion about how "they didn't have to say it out loud", but I probably should've said it differently.
I'm sorry, sending you love

that's ok! all love here :kiss: I just had to make it super clear for the benefit of my own sanity lol

2 hours ago, alinawinters said:

I’m just thinking…

What if the MV is about the murder of “Lana Del Rey”? Think of that last scene with the Hollywood star being in Heaven, together with the BTD look, all the acclaim and fame that goes with having a Hollywood star. Lana Del Rey will forever live on, her image, her art (BTD had record streams 10y after its release which is crazy) even if the real person behind her chooses to go in another direction (even if that direction is still music, but perhaps music that is more & more true to who she now wants to be & how she now feels, many years after she began this journey). With that ending, it sounds to me like she’s accepted the acclaim and the fame but she’s leaving it in the past (throwback to the BTD look) and it’s not something that’s shiny & dazzling anymore. That coupled with Ocean Blvd ending on VB which to me always signified a new beginning and what she was mentioning in the Blue Banisters livestream about “doing something crazy” “doing something totally new” etc … HAS ME COMPLETELY EXCITED! 

All of this PLUS the title track…. “Don’t forget me” 

4 hours ago, honeymoon is alive said:

I think fame and glamour in general. She is shown wearing multiple necklaces in this video and at the end they are all broken like the candy one – fragile and fake.

6 minutes ago, fraulein said:

I think fame and glamour in general. She is shown wearing multiple necklaces in this video and at the end they are all broken like the candy one – fragile and fake.

And sugar is addictive but unhealthy

at the end of the video they turn into blood