Elle

Candy Necklace - Music Video [OUT NOW]

This is not really a spoiler for Mulholland Drive, but if you're super senstive about that sort of thing, don't watch this.

Spoiler

The Candy Necklace MV and this David Lynch clip uses the same subversion of what we think of as 'authentic' and 'fake'; 'real' and 'dream', and 'costumed' and 'true self'. If you don't know, this is Rebekah Del Rio lip syncing to her own extraordinary cover of the Roy Orbison song.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

To shout it out loud (as Kiss would say), there is not one second (alright, maybe one or two seconds) or actual un-produced 'Behind the Scenes' footage in Candy Necklace. We are just being lulled into a sense of thinking we are watching first a regular music video, then a meta video, then a behind the scenes film. All of it, and all of the photos posted by the filmmakers, as well as the 'teaser' from a few weeks ago, are all a part of the product.

53 minutes ago, Louise said:

Glad someone is saying this!  Lana punk'd her fans with this video! Every time the camera moves in and I think the story is going to begin . . . punk'd again! The camera moves out and we have to see the crew, camera, and mics! Especially I resent the car scene at the start. I didn't know how much I want to "suspend disbelief" and lose myself in a scene until the camera pulls back and you see the guy pumping the hood to make the car look real life like it is bobbing up and down while driving. Yes, I feel burned!

Tom Hanks famously said "there is no industry like the film industry which gives away all its trade secrets" because Castaway was promoted using special effects behind the scenes.

If I understand correctly, the video is supposed to be about different Hollywood stars, so it makes sense to show them not only in front of the camera. It's about the look behind the scenes at how a lot of things are just tricked on us, it's about the movie industry and what it does to its stars. In one scene she says: "I'm not a robot", which probably means that she doesn't want to be just a cog in a big machine. (which she actually  refers to the music industry)

7 hours ago, Coney Island King said:

It's turning into such a great year for her. 2023 really feels like Lana back in form career wise. 

A return to Billboard is kind of necessary though. Bubbling under with AW and three other singles aren't gonna cut it though. Also, Candy Necklace massive budget video flopped big time. It has less than a half of Heaven's views - and that's just an old unreleased track with an iPhone image.

3 minutes ago, barttttender said:

Also, Candy Necklace massive budget video flopped big time

So sad about that. Nobody got it. And now she's never gonna do another thought out good video  :defeated:  Because her regular vintage clips in the moment situation gets more views so she feels like more people like it 

27 minutes ago, fl0r1dakil0s said:

So sad about that. Nobody got it. And now she's never gonna do another thought out good video  :defeated:  Because her regular vintage clips in the moment situation gets more views so she feels like more people like it 

Considering that her current live show is based around the Candy Necklace MV, I think it's going to have  a longer life than that. And she never really follows what is most popular, even for her own music.

32 minutes ago, fl0r1dakil0s said:

If she really did it for the views she wouldn't release short films I think

These high budget videos really compliment her art and make us more eager to pay a lot for different vinyl variants and merch etc

Candy Necklace video was so so great, she should be very proud of it and it's not particularly accessible so I can understand the view count. It would actually be a cultural reset if she did a webcam video again now (not iPhone)

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

50 minutes ago, fl0r1dakil0s said:

I dont think she expected Candy necklace mv to be a hit lmfao

7 minutes ago, venicebitch said:

I dont think she expected Candy necklace mv to be a hit lmfao

Ik but I do think she expected a little more for that video. I mean. Idk I can't say for sure but Lana poured her heart (and wallet) into that video. She hasn't put effort like that into a video since her early days

9 minutes ago, Trash Magic said:

It would actually be a cultural reset if she did a webcam video again now (not iPhone)

It literally wouldn't  :brows:  Everybody would be all "she's so lazy she's done this a million times zzz". Look at BB, Arcadia, lmlylaw, hope, etc.. you guys only seem to like her "webcam videos" when Lana's look/vibe/music (could be any, diff for diff ppl) is a certain way. And it just isn't that way anymore  :hooker:  

Like everyone says that she just needs to bring back the old style visually but she's tried, it just isn't the same musically so it doesn't match  :ohsnap2:

Sometimes I don't understand how she chooses songs for MVs. CN is a good song but doesn't represent the theme of the album and isn't groundbreaking like AW. Just imagine videos for any of pre-release singles, the potential that they had.:noparty:

Anyway, Slay Yes To Heaven keeps on rising on Global top 50 on Spotify. Let's celebrate that instead.:gclap:

8 minutes ago, Rocket0212 said:

Sometimes I don't understand how she chooses songs for MVs. CN is a good song but doesn't represent the theme of the album and isn't groundbreaking like AW. Just imagine videos for any of pre-release singles, the potential that they had.:noparty:

Anyway, Slay Yes To Heaven keeps on rising on Global top 50 on Spotify. Let's celebrate that instead.:gclap:

i’m surprised that she even chose CN as a single and for a mv, cause that song was not supposed to even make the album

55 minutes ago, Rocket0212 said:

That's why she actually did the CN visual. I don't think there was ever a visual planned for the album otherwise. She also decided relatively late to put the song on the album and accordingly the shooting was started very late.

3 hours ago, Veinsineon said:

Want people to watch Candy Necklace video more? Upload a shorter Hollywood cut :true:

True

I mean even the visualizer was not something you could listen to to help the streams haha