Elle

Candy Necklace - Music Video [OUT NOW]

4 hours ago, Good Intentions said:

maybe more people would take notice of the candy necklace mv if Lana would release the extended version she used for the video

the fact is: candy necklace is a depressing song. Tarantino could have directed it with a billion dollar budget and it still woulda flopped.

i love the vid, it's one of her best. But she needs to choose her mv songs more visely. It's a fact, kiss, kiss.

2 minutes ago, barttttender said:

the fact is: candy necklace is a depressing song. Tarantino could have directed it with a billion dollar budget and it still woulda flopped.

i love the vid, it's one of her best. But she needs to choose her mv songs more visely. It's a fact, kiss, kiss.

:lanahairflip2:

This has probably all been said before but i was randomly rewatching the candy necklace music video and in the final scene it all clicked into place for me, that the point of the video Is the irony of not getting the thing you want most and have worked so hard for during life and only receiving it after death. The women from which Lana takes inspiration from for the video desperately wanted something during life (validation/fame/acclaim) but only received it after their tragic untimely deaths. 

The Black Dahlia was a budding actress who wanted to be a star and in a cruel twist only received fame after her violent murder, while Marilyn Monroe wanted to elevate her image, to be taken more seriously as an actress and now after death is revered as a Hollywood legend. Its about the irony of not getting the thing you want during life but receiving such recognition posthumously. Towards the end of the video it all builds up to this moment where there’s a bloody body in a trunk in the back of the car (presumably Lana’s), before it cuts to a shot of Lana getting her star on the Hollywood walk of fame while people cheer. I never understood this last shot and how it relates to the rest of the video but I think this ties in to the many times Lana has said over her career that she wants to be appreciated and respected first and foremost as a songwriter, and to find a community of like minded musicians. She felt harshly and unfairly criticised by critics and rejected by the music industry at large in the aftermath of her debut and SNL performance. The toxicity and scrutiny of the debate around Lana Del Rey and her image/persona has lasted for over a decade, impacted the way people perceived the music and clearly took a toll on her mental health. She has also made comments (although I cant find them now) about how she felt rejected by New York and that she would only be appreciated there after her death. This makes me think that the ultimate point of the video is a commentary on how Lana believes that after her death she will be appreciated by the public and her work to finally be recognised how she wanted it to be received. I also think the necklaces in the video represent metaphorical shackles on the confinements of fame or the box in which she was placed by the media/music industry over the years, as well as the mental burden that goes along with the controversy/discourse which unfolded around her - all of which she is finally freed from upon death.

tumblr_mx1rynpDqV1rh0xc7o1_500.gif

On 5/31/2023 at 3:15 AM, longtimeman said:

Considering that her current live show is based around the Candy Necklace MV, I think it's going to have  a longer life than that. And she never really follows what is most popular, even for her own music.

Never follows what's popular huh? Then what is this tiktok shit on her youtube?

It's vomit-inducing.

Mod note: User was warned for being off-topic. Please do not bump a week-old comment to flamebait a totally unrelated song and project.

Edited by That Venice Bitch

since lana threw shade at us for letting the MV flop, can we do like a watch party to get the video more views? Just an idea :aw:

˚୨୧⋆。˚ ⋆ 𝑤𝚑𝑖𝑡𝑒 𝚑𝑜𝑡 𝑓𝑜𝑟𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑟 ⋆ ˚。⋆୨୧˚

4f630a5930678baafabe4bcd583b9d1f.jpg

32 minutes ago, Lanaspoisonivy said:

since lana threw shade at us for letting the MV flop, can we do like a watch party to get the video more views? Just an idea :aw:

We should do a watching party (like listening party but with videos) :party:

I love this music video so much, it's like a mini-documentary. I love the visuals and the looks so much. I love Lana's, Jon's and John's acting there. It's her best music video, well for me. My favorite too. We got to hear Candy Necklace amazing instrumentals there too. It's my favorite song from the album and probably my all-time favorite too. The piano there is so good. And the vocals. And the lyrics. So haunting, so godly :legend:

url%5D

1 minute ago, Embach said:

We should do a watching party (like listening party but with videos) :party:

I love this music video so much, it's like a mini-documentary. I love the visuals and the looks so much. I love Lana's, Jon's and John's acting there. It's her best music video, well for me. My favorite too. We got to hear Candy Necklace amazing instrumentals there too. It's my favorite song from the album and probably my all-time favorite too. The piano there is so good. And the vocals. And the lyrics. So haunting, so godly :legend:

yeah that's what I'm saying!!!
let's make it happen. The MV deserves all the love and recognition :kiss2:

1 minute ago, ADDICTEDTOLANA said:

When did she throw shade?

yesterday someone asked her something pertaining to the views of the video and she said "because we have the attention span of one minute now"
pretty sure it was on homicidequeen 's live 

So in the new Harper's Bazaar interview, she talked about the last frame of the music video being without the necklace because "you have to give [the necklace] back".

I had interpreted it as giving up the necklace, not giving it back. So what does this interpretation mean now?

23 minutes ago, Ultra Violet said:

So in the new Harper's Bazaar interview, she talked about the last frame of the music video being without the necklace because "you have to give [the necklace] back".

I had interpreted it as giving up the necklace, not giving it back. So what does this interpretation mean now?

I can''t find the post now, but when she posted about it, she wrote 'Don't take the necklace, and if you do take it, give it back'.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

5 minutes ago, fl0r1dakil0s said:

Give it back to who 😭

Maybe taking the necklace from fame and what it has to offer, and then by "giving it back" she really just means letting go of the fame and becoming free again

the earth shattered, the sky opened

tumblr_p594n81oiC1x11ydmo2_400.gif

that rain was fire, but we were wooden