Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,052 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

Can anyone post the HD versions of the alt covers? I wanna pick a cute one for my iTunes :true:

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

omg I just finished listening to the album with my boyfriend and it really is everything I wanted it to be :krylie:

Its definitely my new favorite album even though it's so hard to choose favorites lol they're all so good in different ways and I'm just so happy that she continues to make records like nothing she's ever done before :oprah:

I love all the songs so much (even Judah Smith Interlude fits well with the tone of the record lol) but my favorites right now are: Candy Necklace, Paris, Texas, Let the Light in, Margaret, Fishtail, Peppers, and Taco Truck x VB

So hard not listing every single song lol

My boyfriend said his favorite is Fingertips...I did not expect that :oic3:

jon batiste interlude is such a gorgeous track on its own… is not an outro for CN and is not a teaser for another song. its a wild experience and it sounds amazing.

regarding the judah one… I swear the instrumental was louder on the leak :xgiggle:

and also for giving me Margaret

1 hour ago, fl0r1dakil0s said:

would you say something positive for once the woman this entire site is dedicated to just released an album save this for tomorrow  :eyeroll3:

i've said a lot of positive things lol. 

I just finished listening for the first time. Wow. I have many thoughts and I don't even know which song I want to revisit first. Here are my first impressions that will very likely change as I listen more:

Upon first listen, my top 5 are Candy Necklace, Paris, Texas, Let the Light In, Peppers, and Taco Truck x VB. Candy Necklace was so haunting, especially when Jon came on. Paris, Texas was beautiful and I really connect with it. I went YEEESSSSS in my head when I heard the first 5 seconds of Let the Light In. I was not expecting Peppers to sound like that at all. The first half of Taco Truck was STUNNING and although I love the VB part, I kinda wish the first half was the whole song. I need more time with Kintsugi, Fingertips, and Sweet.

I wish that the album was mixed better. Even listening in Dolby Atmos, her vocals often sounded very muffled. I also heard some strange thumping in the background of the title track? It was subtle, but super distracting once I noticed it. I'm not sure if it was my headphones or the mixing. Anyone else hear that? 

Anyway, this is a very solid album overall. These are just my initial thoughts, so take them with a grain of salt. I'm going to re-listen to my faves!

When you know, you know
That it's time to leave
Like the summer breeze

8 minutes ago, Elle said:

What an incredible way to end a record. You know, pretty early on in the pre-release I predicted that the closing track would be one of the wordier ones, taking the final minutes to get out all that she wanted to say before it came to a close. Though I was somewhat wrong, I'd also like to think that I was somewhat right. 

Sometimes there really isn't more to be said, except for what already has been said.

I think motioning that sentiment by repeating the care-free, fun-loving lines of Venice Bitch that we already know and love with some new ad-libs is brilliant.

She said so much on this record - she got raw, she got personal - more than ever before, in my opinion. So, why not close the whole thing by shaking the heaviness off and transitioning into a remix of one of her most iconic songs?

I think by not saying anything more at all and rather choosing to reminisce on a lighter note, she silently reiterated some of the most important lyric lessons that she wanted to stress from the record - 

"I'm meaning to say, that there's nothing to do except know that this is how the light gets in"

"I give myself two seconds to breathe and go back to being a serene queen. I just needed two seconds to be me."

"When you’re home, you’re home (Venice, California)"

"It's not about having someone to love me anymore, this is the experience of being an American Whore"

"When you leave all you take is your memories, and I’m gonna take mine of you with me"

So by saying nothing new at all, she really said so much. Again, this whole record contained so much personal storytelling, and I just think this is the perfect sendoff. Sort of a, here was my story, now it's over, let's have fun.

I also love the Taco Truck section of the song and while I do wish it was its own song, I think it transitions so well into Venice Bitch. I think I may even prefer this rendition to the original.

Also, I'm still dying at the fact she teased a lyric from this song to me over a year ago. No, I'm never going to shut up about it x

It makes sense, adding that in the Rollimg Stone interview she talked about having nothing to learn either. I think it sums up with the having nothing to add, it is what it is, when you know you know :ahh: