Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,052 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

My first time posting here, just need to share how im feeling about this album.

I bawled my eyes out listening to Kintsugi and Fingertips, i think it's the depth she hadn't reached yet with her previous albums. The way she sings about deaths of her relatives and the way it affected her is so heartbreaking, and it makes me go back to reminiscing my personal experiences and traumas. I think it's a great way to share her poetry through the music. As she said herself, those are not 'great songs', but it's a great combination of poetry and music.

I also loved Sweet, it's a beautiful song. I love how sharp her lyricism is with this album. Paris, Texas is also a standout, it brings a feeling of nostalgia, and also this song kind of brings you back after you fell apart listening to Kintsugi and Fingertips.

Let the Light In and Margaret make for a great light ending to a very dark and heavy subjects of the previous songs. Let the Light In kind of sounds like it could be on Lust for Life, which I love. Margaret is simple but effective.

I haven't yet made up my opinion on the closing 3 tracks. Fishtail sounds kind of generic and isn't as good as Tulsa, whish i've seen it being compared to. But all in all those 3 songs are a great way to finish an album and shake off the hard feelings of its core. I love Taco Truck, i only wish the first half would be longer, actually i wouldn't mind the whole song including VB would last 10 minutes.

Interludes are cool in the context of the album and they do a great job of building a bridge from the first part of the album through Candy Necklace (which is iconic and sounds like it could be on Ultraviolence) to the more vulnerable and personal songs.

All in all I think it's her masterpiece, but then again i think that about every album of hers. Anyway, i think it holds itself strong compared to NFR, and for me personally Ocean Blvd is much more grand and courageous than NFR.

Anyway, thank you for coming to my TED talk, i'll go back swimming with the fishes, call me Aphrodite, as the waves bow down to me.

candy necklace snuck up on ME.

i was disappointed at first

but how can i go from not liking a song to being OBSESSED?

the magic that is LDR

:hide:

met my boyfriend down at the taco truck

1 minute ago, Thats why they call me Dita said:

I wish she said the party was December 19, because that’s the day I met my now husband.. a totally you know you know situation, in a relationship 2 weeks after, engaged in 6 months and married 10 months after that :omfg2:

Candy necklace had me hooked instantly, the verses just remind me of the white album so much and I can’t put my finger on why!

but also peppers which I was thinking I’d hate, I’m kinda loving it too! 

taco truck is amazing too! Which she’d carried the first part out longer

I actually LOOOOVE the interludes! 

let the light in- chefs kiss!

fingertips I know I’m gonna love but I need more time to process the lyrics 

Margaret is also very sweet 

the rest are all good too, but they’re not outshining the rest yet 

(and I loved all 3 singles, but they’ve had their discussions)

S0F1O.gif
dancing all night to the dirty blues 

This album is so amazing omg

My only sort of critique, which really isn't really one, is that I find it weird to have 2 interludes back to back but the Jon Batiste interlude could easily have been a Jack Anthonoff-esque outro to Candy Necklace so

8 minutes ago, heavymetalqueen said:

Some songs off this album gives me strong Regina Spektor vibes who Lana has cited as an influence in the past 

I noticed & commented on this too! For me, it’s sort of a full-circle moment as Regina was one of my favourite artists at the time I discovered Lana back in 2012. The run of Fingertips, Paris Texas, and Grandfather all have that Regina-esque quality that makes me feel so nostalgic x

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

This album is very wordy and devoid of color, like Lana had said. But there is such a deep nostalgic feeling and Lana tends to have that with every project but this is different. There’s something about the way that these songs progress that you can’t pin them to any specific time, and she truly captures the inner struggle of breaking free of that mold and empowering yourself while still remembering and honoring your family. She has been through a lot, and I truly hope she is as happy as she said at the recent awards because she deserves the world and more<3