Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,052 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

28 minutes ago, Fireffie said:

Can we talk about how superior the instrumentals are on the interludes?? Why the hell didn’t she use them on her own songs :trisha:

Well there are parts of it in Candy Necklace. I think the instrumentals of the interludes is the process of making the arrangement for CN.

But I agree it's pure magic

Finished my second listen of the album.. and the sleep deprivation is now hitting me. I wish I could stay up all night listening to this record over and over, but a 42hr streak is about as much as my body can handle LOL.

Again as I said earlier, I’m already ready to declare this her best record. It’s a masterpiece. So much substance, so much to unpack.. so I’ll be back later today to share more thoughts! I can’t wait to read all of yours’ too. & of course the new site visuals will also be arriving later today as well! Happy, happy, happy release day everyone.. sending all my love to my fellow Lipsters. I hope you all enjoy this magical day. 
Goodnight :noir: 

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

I can see her lines of thought on this album. 

The Grants - opener, revealing her inner self (if you think the name Lana del Rey is a persona) 

Title track - touches upon Sean because she was so heartbroken after that breakup but overall she yearns for love from someone who won’t throw her away 

Sweet - it’s about Sean in the way that his new wife is a basic bitch. Lana describes what she thinks love is like day to day. 

A&W - we know this one

Judah Smith Interlude - goes in on adultery, starts the thread of religion. See also gospel-inspired opening track. 

Candy Necklace - ??? no clue what candy necklaces are a metaphor for here ???

Jon Batiste Interlude - reminds me of Pentecostal churches and how people start speaking in tongues so I thought this was about religion too. 

Kintsugi - opens about her extended family. Lana actually explained the background of this song in detail (a rarity from her) in that Rolling Stone interview. Her extended family are a whole bunch of singers, showing that she never really moved that far away from her roots. “let the light in” motif 

Fingertips - her personal history, darkest song ever

Any particular reason why they kinda censored out 'mother' at 3:46 in the digital/streaming version of Fingertips?

On 2/24/2023 at 1:34 AM, Americanboy said:

Hairy assholes are better than smooth ones

anyone else hear the kinda outta luck sample at about 2:52 in Peppers? you can hear the drums from Kinda Out of Luck fade in for a few seconds. so crazy that she's referencing songs that are 12+ years old at this point. the serene queen reference too!!

this album is truly for dedicated lana fans. so many references and callbacks

1 minute ago, itsmarvinabel said:

Any particular reason why they kinda censored out 'mother' at 3:46 in the digital/streaming version of Fingertips?

I would guess it was a personal decision by lana. maybe to avoid more conflict with her mom

guys..  :deadbanana:

this guy went all the way up to the mountains to experience ldr9 and live tweet his reaction and you can slowly see his battery dying and then he just stopped tweeting after fingertips.. i think his phone died so he only got to hear the slow and sad half of the album and now he's probably stuck on a mountain with no phone battery.. tragic ik but i can't stop laughing i'm imagining someone with headphones plugged in ready to experience the amazing new album from pop star lana del rey and halfway through.. BOOM 💥  STUCK ON A HUGE MOUNTAIN WITH NO ALBUM TO LISTEN TO AND NO PHONE  :thumb3:

34 minutes ago, Cherry Blossom said:

Blue Banisters and Chemtrails were so clearly transitional records now in hindsight. Without them, the excellence of this record would not be possible :oprah: it just took her a couple of Beautiful’s and Wildflower Wildfire’s to get there

HELP :omfg2: 

the judah smith interlude was amazing, mostly the instrumentals. very eerie aswell. im not religious or anything but i could listen to this all day

0ee59aa49842db2f69a1f29fe8d0f75d.gif

・゚。★。゚・ 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐰𝐡𝐨 𝐢'𝐯𝐞 𝐛𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐢𝐬 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐨𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐬𝐞 𝐛𝐞𝐚𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐬, 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐢𝐜𝐞 𝐛𝐢𝐭𝐜𝐡, 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐝𝐢𝐞-𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐝, 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐰𝐞𝐚𝐤𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐬 ・゚。★。゚・

candy necklace is so good it gives me goosebumps :trisha: it would've been perfect on ultraviolence but at the same time it's even more eery and more mature. it also ties the interludes together so neatly, they sound much less out of place with it between them.

it's so unusual to write this without a spoiler :trisha: we made it!!!!!

13 minutes ago, Elle said:

Finished my second listen of the album.. and the sleep deprivation is now hitting me. I wish I could stay up all night listening to this record over and over, but a 42hr streak is about as much as my body can handle LOL.

Again as I said earlier, I’m already ready to declare this her best record. It’s a masterpiece. So much substance, so much to unpack.. so I’ll be back later today to share more thoughts! I can’t wait to read all of yours’ too. & of course the new site visuals will also be arriving later today as well! Happy, happy, happy release day everyone.. sending all my love to my fellow Lipsters. I hope you all enjoy this magical day. 
Goodnight :noir: 

Thanks Elle for all you do with LB and putting up with us through yet another pre-release thread. See you tomorrow for the LDR10 one! :flutter:

8V7Yvel.png

jon batiste interlude SCARED ME SO BAD

0ee59aa49842db2f69a1f29fe8d0f75d.gif

・゚。★。゚・ 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐰𝐡𝐨 𝐢'𝐯𝐞 𝐛𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐢𝐬 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐨𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐬𝐞 𝐛𝐞𝐚𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐬, 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐢𝐜𝐞 𝐛𝐢𝐭𝐜𝐡, 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐝𝐢𝐞-𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐝, 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐰𝐞𝐚𝐤𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐬 ・゚。★。゚・

1 hour ago, shadesofearthquakes said:

The COCC melody in Taco Truck? :beyonce:

What part of the song? I haven’t heard anything from COCC in that song yet and am so curious 

d4yQCBo.jpg
The Log Lady [to Laura]: “When this kind of fire starts, it is 
very hard to put out. The tender boughs of innocence burn first, and the wind rises, and then all goodness is in jeopardy.”

2 hours ago, taco truck said:

Ok I’m a little tipsy and Fishtail is hitting a bit:tommy:

The first time I listened to Fishtail I was like :eek3: but the second listen is REALLY hitting now

~*Contemplating at Costco the Santa Clarita fires.*~

is candy necklace a drug reference? like the guys she's with is cool and all but under the influence all the time and she kind of went along it as well is the vibe i'm getting.  also with lana having a coke necklace and drugs sometimes being referred to as adult candy.