Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,059 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

album discussions on the radio today for German fans:

15:05 Deutschlandfunk Kultur

https://www.deutschlandfunkkultur.de/programm?drsearch:date=2023-03-24

21:00 radioeins - Soundcheck

https://www.radioeins.de/programm/sendungen/sendungen/72/2303/230324_soundcheck_20176.html

1 hour ago, fl0r1dakil0s said:

if you go back in my posts i've made several INCREDIBLY LONG posts in a row explaining my in depth analysis of the lyrics including that one with pictures and videos of the performance as well.. it'll be a lot of scrolling but I did explain what it was outside of the spoiler tags so it should be searchable  :deadbanana:

Lemme try and search it :mj:

There’s already over 50 pages :icant: I have to take care of my pets (9 of them!) and then I’ll get to listen. Still have only heard The Grants, title track, and A&W. 

I don’t really wanna die, I just want the pain to be over

I’m still listening to it, first listen. (By the way, guys, I do t know how you first  listened to many song in lq :eek3: this album begs for good headphones).

Lets begin with the bad: 
JudasSmith interlude: 

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7tuhvhmeathvre804a8

I’ve been plenty vocal about it before, but I’ve been (miserable) in church way too often in my life to appreciate it. Beautiful melody but shut up, preacher. By the way, I don’t know how long his sermons last, but I can’t have someone yell at me for 30min+

Sweet and Kintsugi both feel like they could have been on Blue Banisters. 

Candy Necklace : a bit surprise that it’s gonna be a single. I love it though, there are a lot of « late night singer in a dive bar » vibes to it, very jazzy. Also love the interlude afterwards. These two will grow on me a lot. 

Kintsugi and Fingtertips are both a lot as expected, almost « melody less ». They need some adjusting to. Beautiful lyrics, especially on Fingertips. But when you transition to Paris Texas and Grandfather: wow. And things pick up after that.

LET THE FUCKING LIGHT IN :defeated::defeated::defeated:

Margaret sounds way better than I thought. Also more ballad than expected. but it’s so sweet? Like something you’d play at your parents or grandparents’s anniversary ? 

i don’t know if I’m reading too much into this, if it’s the early early spring messing with my brain, but this album feels like the first half is winter, then transitioning into the spring of the second half. 

1 hour ago, The Rhino Designer said:

The back-to-back hit of Kintsugi -> Fingertips might be too much, or a breaking point for casual listeners (or BTD stans), but they're sisters. They belong together. It's the heart of the album.

I actually think that these two + Grandfather would make an amazing closing section of the album. With three "bops" (Fishtail - TT) in the middle even GP/BTD fans would make it to the end. She kinda sabotaged Kintsugi and Fingertips with that tracklist. 

1 minute ago, Rocket0212 said:

I actually think that these two + Grandfather would make an amazing closing section of the album. With three "bops" in the middle even GP/BTD fans would make it to the end. She kinda sabotaged Kintsugi and Fingertips with that tracklist. 

Thats exactly the point. She’s not trying to cater to anyone but herself. It makes sense: the ones who stick until the end are the ones who are interested in the whole journey.

IMG-7960.jpg