Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,059 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

trying to compile a list of all the self-references//callbacks to older work  ... def missing some, please feel free to quote n help complete!!! <<33 

the grants - possibly terrence loves you melody?

sweet - wait for life/roses bloom for you melody

a&w - nfr piano/strings

candy necklace - cinammon girl "cinammon on my teeth"

fingertips- bartender melody in the extrapolate some small intention line // "serene queen" // possibly "drive by"

let the light in - love song melody, the way she sings "love song" lmfao

fishtail - jump "palm trees in black & white"

taco truck x vb - chemtrails melody, "you're in the wind i'm in the water" - "carribean blue in sweater weather" & venice bitch obv

6-A5-A3731-E232-468-E-ABB5-09-DA0-AFD2104.jpg

Really love Taco Truck, especially when it slips into Venice Bitch. It was a bold move to, sample that monument of a song that didn’t feel like copy-paste. 
i only wish that she’d make the Taco Truck a bit longer… the melody is just so fucking amazing. 

I have no words for this album

It's truly one of her best

This is exactly what i wanted her to do, to experiment 

To incorporate beats , to do beatlesque songs, ballads with beautiful melodies with jon batiste, to make me cry while telling her story :ohno:

𝑳𝒊𝒇𝒆 𝒊𝒔 𝒃𝒆𝒂𝒖𝒕𝒊𝒇𝒖𝒍 𝒃𝒖𝒕 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒅𝒐𝒏'𝒕 𝒉𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝒂 𝒄𝒍𝒖𝒆

I posted this on the pre-release thread because it came out early than the rest of the world, so here are my thoughts about the album

stupid fucking site, i can't post pictures for some reason

Anyways, I have listened to the full album and all I can say is that it was an okay experience. The first half of the album was okay/meh (because of the interludes they're so boring) but the second half of the album was Lust For Life coded which got me like "okay I still have faith in this album". I almost give up listening the album at Fingertips but I quickly got interested again at Paris, Texas and it was a great ride from that point on. GPSOTSOMFWHD-SF was magical and it could be a continuation to Paris, Texas as to how similar they sound. Fishtail got me GAGGED as what I've said, the second half is LFL coded with the trap beats and this track is one of my faves. I also appreciate the Summer Bummerification of Venice Beach but it overshadows Taco Truck sadly. If only A&W would be at the bottom of the tracklist with Fishtail and Peppers, it would be more cohesive sounding. Let The Light In is for the Wait for Life girlies, the song threw me back during that era. Margaret is folklore coded as expected from Jack Antonoff :smh: which is known to recycle songs and notes from different albums (i.e. At the Holiday Party by St. Vincent and Solar Power by Lorde) but the track made feel freedom which is a nice experience listening to it.

Overall, this album is great but it's not the best (at least for me :hooker:) I hope the Eupore and US girlies would enjoy the album as much as I do. That's all from me.

Liked Tracks: DYKTTATUOB, A&W, Kintsugi, Paris Texas, GPSOTSOMFWHD-SF, Let The Light In, Margaret, Fishtail, Peppers

yyxy | youth youth by young | yyxy

First listen impressions: A&W/Judah Smith Interlude/Candy Necklace/Jon Batiste Interlude had me thinking that this album would dethrone NFR for me as my #1 Lana album and #2 favorite album of all time. I was literally tearing up at the end of Candy Necklace. Kintsugi and Fingertips kinda ruined my mood though because it completely killed the momentum of the previous 4 songs and of the album so far. Paris, Texas is gorgeous and feels like it belongs with the 4 songs before Kintsugi/Fingertips.

My favorites/highlights (no particular order):

• A&W
  • Judah Smith Interlude
  • Candy Necklace
  • Jon Baptiste Interlude
  • Paris, Texas
  • Fishtail
  • Taco Truck x VB

^^ If I could have a whole album of songs similar to this + Tulsa Jesus Freak and Chemtrails, I think it’d be my favorite Lana album. I am curious if I would’ve liked the album more if all of these songs were on the second half of the album. It’d feel like more of a build up, but then again, I think the first half would’ve been to slow to keep interest for a lot of people without things being spread out more. 

I was also surprised - from what people were saying here, I was expecting the second whole half of the album to be a lot more upbeat but really it’s only the last 3 songs, and they’re still very chill, slow songs for the most part, just with some harder beats. 

Overall, even with me needing more time with a lot of the album, this feels like maybe Lana’s most ambitious work. It’s so exciting and refreshing to have an album from her that’s this experimental, especially after how safe and simple a lot of Chemtrails and Blue Banisters felt. This album feels reinvigorating to me. I’m excited to have so much content and nuance to sort through. 

It’s not about having someone to love me anymore

This is the experience of being an American whore