Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,059 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

i think the record is brilliant. it feels confident and mature. i still need more time to sit with it but it just feels like someone who's been *in it.* in the game for a long time, seen it all, heard it all, internalized ideas that don't match up to her sense of self, but prevails by sheer talent and lyricism. stand out songs for me are A&W (still my favorite song she's put out in the last 4 years along with Mariners), Candy Necklace, Peppers, and Grandfather. also.... Candy Necklace met my expectations. my god. her vocals on that song, some of the best she's ever performed. the breathiness in the chorus... takes me to another world.

and I love Peppers so much. Tommy Genesis's performance is so great and it's so carefree and silly to ride it into a Dick Dale song. I actually thought a lot of parts of the record were funny, especially Taco Truck x VB. ...but was VB necessary to end on? to me, it sort of felt forced, like a "hey, in case you don't like this album, remember venice bitch?" and I was hoping for a new vocal rendition of VB, not the same vocals with different beats. and it felt a little disconnected from the other parts of the album. it's not what i was expecting for a closer.

my biggest issue with the album is wordiness. she seems to get lost in much of what she's saying and almost loses control of the melodies in songs like kintsugi and fingertips. also margaret was a total wash to me. i just really don't need to hear a mediocre jack antonoff performance right after an incredible father john misty one.

overall, the reason NFR still stands up as a better record in my opinion is because it just felt more refined. there are elements of this album that feel lost, but the direction she takes us towards the end seems like she's in a pretty happy place, and i think we can tell by the interviews she's giving lately etc. that she just seems so carefree.

anyways i give it a 7.8/10 :flutter:

giphy.gif?cid=790b761167f1bae274183a253d

7 minutes ago, lanasbottom said:

what’s the difference between an orange tag (never seen that one), a blue and a purple one on albumoftheyear ? 

also vote for psychedelic-folk in the album genre tags everybody :teehee:

Orange is user must-hear, meaning the people absolutely loved the album (which is the case for Ocean Blvd)

Blue is critic must-hear, meaning mostly the critic community liked it rather than the public (Chemtrails)

Purple is critic and user must-hear, universally loved (NFR!)

I've only gotten as far as Fingertips, I can't finish it at work bc I forgot my earbuds :toofunny:

Faves so far are Candy Necklace and, surprisingly, the Judah Smith Interlude. It's so cinematic and creepy and Ethel Cain-y.

there are glaring issues with audio crackling on ALL the tracks which were not present on the og leaks. did they submit the wrong files to streaming? it's a nightmare  i'll try to get timestamps next time i listen through but they seem to happen when the db just goes a bit high and her vocals get a bit louder/higher. this is literally the stuff that gets checked and fixed during mastering while making everything sound the same across all formats, they put it through a mastering software which makes all the songs have the same amount of loudness which can introduce issues like glitches and crackling but these get quality checked and sorted out, it just tells me the guy didn't even bother having a listen through after putting everything thru a software.  this is the first time this guy is mastering her stuff, it has always been some guy named Chris who did a fine job but this new dude should be fired for this mess. 

4 minutes ago, littleredpartydress said:

Orange - user score over 80

blue - critic score over 80

purple - both

At least that’s what I think it means 

that makes sense thanks bitch :usrs:

1 minute ago, 111 said:

there are glaring issues with audio crackling on ALL the tracks which were not present on the og leaks. did they submit the wrong files to streaming? it's a nightmare  i'll try to get timestamps next time i listen through but they seem to happen when the db just goes a bit high and her vocals get a bit louder/higher. this is literally the stuff that gets checked and fixed during mastering while making everything sound the same across all formats, they put it through a mastering software which makes all the songs have the same amount of loudness which can introduce issues like glitches and crackling but these get quality checked and sorted out, it just tells me the guy didn't even bother having a listen through after putting everything thru a software.  this is the first time this guy is mastering her stuff, it has always been some guy named Chris who did a fine job but this new dude should be fired for this mess. 

yeah it really makes half the songs borderline unlistenable… can we collectively complain and bully their dumbasses to fix that shit ? 

5 minutes ago, 111 said:

Can they fix this??? Is there a way to make sure they know about this because I definitely notice it now😭

I’m SO happy she got her second pitchfork BNM! I held off on posting immediate thoughts of the album because there was *so* much to digest. It left me with a perplexing, almost uneasy feeling I’ve seen others echo: that I felt in my bones the album was a total masterpiece—the mood/atmosphere of it is incredibly haunting, darkly whimsical, and unique—but I didn’t feel at first like I would seek out tracks like fingertips/kintsugi/grandfather to listen to on their own or get them stuck in my head. they’re so personal, [artistically] meandering given the automatic writing, and almost “chorus-less” that they feel meant to be consumed with the album in whole. (I’m already wrong because I’ve replayed them all a few times). it made me feel similar to the way that honeymoon did—although that album had more traditional hooks/bridges, it took a while for it to sink into my bones and get stuck in my head, and for me to crave specific tracks to replay. this one’s beauty will grow with time for me, I’m certain.

the longer I sit with this album, the more I think it’s one of her most cohesive ones. candy necklace (I love the interludes, especially jon batiste’s!) and paris, texas were the major highlights for me on first listen—these, to me, sum up the mood of the album. “you’re home when you’re alone”: when your mother or lover strands you and the media forsakes you, you still have yourself and what you choose to do with your life, your love, your grief, your glory.

the whole album feels like that plastic bag scene in american beauty, down to the muted piano tones. it’s like she takes the ‘public mythology’ of LDR and completely flips it inside out and walks you through each vein and ventricle, how the heart beats. now I’ll think of fingertips every time someone mentions this is what makes us girls, or A&W when I think of ride, etc. it’s the glowing inner workings of her previous songs, like their commentary. it’s starkly and deeply personal in a way that feels like we almost shouldn’t be listening, and she’s shared thoughts with us we hadn’t previously been privileged to. it’s an honor.

she truly is in a creative class of her own, and she is masterful at her craft, leading an artistic life and building a legacy through her body of work. I am so eager to see where she goes from here, and so proud :crai:

19 minutes ago, 111 said:

It was like this during Blue Banisters too, at least on YouTube and Spotify. When she was saying beautiful it was clipping every time, also in Arcadia when her voice gets high  and other songs. It was fixed after complaints.

I'm guessing this is not present in vinyl or CD.

From what I remember, it is a mastering issue, where the difference between loudest and quietest noise is not within the standards. Streaming services use their own algorithm to adjust noise levels to certain standard, so one album is not louder than the another. When this noise difference is not within standard limits, their algorithm causes clipping. At least, that's what happened with Blue Banisters album.

We should spam streaming services to fix the issue, they took it seriously with BB.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/apple-music.html

https://support.spotify.com/us/article/report-content/

LASSO

lasso.gif

SEPTEMBER 2024

7 minutes ago, lanasbottom said:

yeah it really makes half the songs borderline unlistenable… can we collectively complain and bully their dumbasses to fix that shit ? 

i think it has something to do with how her vocals were processed in the mastering. the album vocals sound really muffled and whenever she goes high in her register we get cracklings. for example in grandfather from 2:24 to about 2:30 it is really messy. compare it to the leaked file we got and it sounds so much clearer and there are no audio issues. omg im absolutely fuming. :benmawson:

5 hours ago, MrFameKills said:

So when are @Terrence Loves Me and @lanasbottom reviews dropping :makeup2:

I still haven't listened to it :smile2:

BUT.. i booked today off work because i needed to prepare so i've been to the gym, went to starbucks for a must needed frappy, picked up some beers and so now i'm just going to go home and get good and drunk, smoke some weed, look at pictures of my ex, order pizza and them i'm ready to have the experience of a lifetime.. yup yup. this is an EVENT  :true:

review coming soon :lmaoney:

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

wait-until-it-happens

Lana Del Rey juggling with melodies in this album

Does anyone else think some of these songs remind you of musical theatre? *this is not a bad thing lmao* Sweet sounds just like a character breaking out into a soliloquy. Arcadia has a similar vein. Didn't she say something about working on a musical?

giphy.gif?cid=790b761167f1bae274183a253d