Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,059 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

6 minutes ago, 111 said:

i think it has something to do with how her vocals were processed in the mastering. the album vocals sound really muffled and whenever she goes high in her register we get cracklings. for example in grandfather from 2:24 to about 2:30 it is really messy. compare it to the leaked file we got and it sounds so much clearer and there are no audio issues. omg im absolutely fuming. :benmawson:

I've been saying that for weeks about the vocals. They're much clearer now in high res, but still not clear, clear. Can it be that she wanted them that way, and not the way they are are the COCC title track, 'Arcadia,' and 'IFLDWM'? 

my files on deezer are fine and dont clip or crackle at all. im streaming lossless, not sure if the mp3s are faulty

edit: i actually dont stream lossless on my phone, so looks like theres an issue with the provider if the files arent good

image.png

23 minutes ago, 111 said:

it's a nightmare  i'll try to get timestamps next time i listen through but they seem to happen when the db just goes a bit high and her vocals get a bit louder/higher. 

Can you post these timestamps here if you do so. We can write detailed email with them to streaming services so that they can quickly identify the issue.

LASSO

lasso.gif

SEPTEMBER 2024

Just now, PARADIXO said:

Wow, even Pitchfork's review was disappointing. Why are all these reviews so poorly written? 

:wub: it's not as accessible as her earlier works. This is a very personal artistic record which only hot people can understand.

Imo this album will stand the test of time and be cited as a major influence for many years. Kind of how people look back and draw inspiration from Amy/The Beatles.

@Lustformoney what did you think of the album?

Also really waiting for @IanadeIrey's thoughts. :wink:

my attempt at a ranking:

1. Paris, Texas (that piano... :wowcry:)

2. Grandfather 

3. Let the Light In

4. Taco Truck

5. Margaret

6. Ocean Blvd

7. Candy Necklace

8. Kintsugi

9. Judah Smith Interlude 

10. The Grants

11. A&W 

12. Sweet

13. Jon Batiste Interlude

14. Fingertips

15. Peppers

16. Fishtail (it's a grower for me, this will probably change)

😋🫶🏼

AllMusic - 80/100

https://www.allmusic.com/album/did-you-know-that-theres-a-tunnel-under-ocean-blvd-mw0003879288

Still to be added on MC:

Pitchfork - 83

AllMusic - 80

Record Collector - 80

Slant - 60

Spin - 50/60 (I guess) 

Very positive reviews by Financial Times, Toronto Star, and Readrange, but unfortunately they don’t count for MC or AOTY. 

Just now, Bootynugget said:

not me liking fishtail just a little more than peppers, every theory i had pre-album is wrong lol :oic2:

Fishtail is that bitch

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

2 minutes ago, CinnamonGay said:

:wub: it's not as accessible as her earlier works. This is a very personal artistic record which only hot people can understand.

Imo this album will stand the test of time and be cited as a major influence for many years. Kind of how people look back and draw inspiration from Amy/The Beatles.

@Lustformoney what did you think of the album?

Also really waiting for @IanadeIrey's thoughts. :wink:

Oh I mean, I haven't heard anything from it other than the singles and I already know this is her best album, and it definitely will stand the test of time. But it's so disappointing that people who get the privilege to get payed to analyse music and write about it come up with such lazily written stuff. They all go like this:

It's been a decade since Lana Del Rey born Elizabeth Grant did X Y Z and then A B C

The media treated her wrong, SNL, bla bla

On her ninth LP, she sings A B C and mentions X Y Z

"It's not about having someone to love me anymore"

A whole paragraph on the The Grants intro

No mention of any other song other than Fingertips until the end where they all feel the need to call Taco Truck a "trap remix of Venice Bitch"

Then they all compare the album to NFR!

And finish with some pretentious line

The title track is so beautiful it sums everything up :xcry:

like for real she's asking when it's gonna be her time for children/marriage/death/being loved :trisha: so many deep stories underneath the surface just like the tunel under ocean blv :crying4:

I saw Jack Antonoff last night in NYC walking with his friends on the sidewalk by me while I was sitting having outdoor dinner and I asked him for a photo and he was so cute :defeated:

By the way, thanks for that, on the way, I'll pray for ya
But you'll need a miracle
America

Just now, GetFree said:

I saw Jack Antonoff last night in NYC walking with his friends on the sidewalk by me while I was sitting having outdoor dinner and I asked him for a photo and he was so cute :defeated:

did you get the pic?

😋🫶🏼