Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,059 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

Y'all, we gotta vote the album 5/5 on AllMusic, AOTY, Metacritic etc etc. We gotta fight these dumbass reviewers omg

Lana is truly THE artist of our generation. In fact, I think she’s one of the greatest of all time

OB is the most fascinating body of work she’s ever released. The fact that she goes SO deeply into every aspect of her past, touches on uncomfortable feelings with candour (the line about being “super suicidal” in Candy Necklace anyone?), and also makes a cohesive link back to tracks/eras from her entire career, including the Lizzy Grant days, is MINDBLOWING

My favourites

️ Candy necklace surprisingly catchy and also quite eerie especially as it ended. I wasn’t a fan of JB’s solo vocals at the end which is the only part I didn’t enjoy. Contextually it’s very rich and I’m going to listen to it and analyse the themes and subtext properly later 

️ Kintsugi I lost a family member recently and this hit me HARD. But it’s so comforting at the same time. There were some bits I was confused about though - what’s with “There's somethin' about the clutch of the wrist / He thought mine was his to carve into his mouth” ? To me it almost sounded like SA/physical abuse (linking back to A&W) but that wouldn’t really fit with the context of the song so idk. Also the line “by the third of March I was cracked open”, does anyone know what this refers to?

Let the light in this is lowkey so sexy?? (I’m going to be crass and ask: are these two fucking fr?) It’s lyrically very lizzyesque

Fishtails also sexy?? The description on genius said it’s about Lana and Chuck though and I’m like… well I certainly HOPE not. I know they kissed but :/ I love the auto tune, it’s an interesting new technique from Lana. Also I love the callback to Jump “palm trees in black and white, I love to see them sway” vs “palm trees in black and white, last thing I saw before I died”

️ Peppers ok I’d never heard of TG before and from the name thought it was a dude and I was MAD. Like I don’t want to hear some guy singing on what’s allegedly a sexy song. I was so relieved it wasn’t lmao. I just wish Lana had joined in a bit more on the chorus

TT x VB I actually preferred the leaked snippet of TT. Even though it was lq it sounded really gritty and dirty, and the final version was just a bit TOO polished. Also I feel like the bit with Margaret speaking in the middle could’ve literally been anything else. Like get Alana or Chuck to say something.. that would’ve been cool. Idk it just seemed pointless thanks Jack. HOWEVER this version of VB is the only one I’ll accept from now on. It’s so hot and grimy. “Not tonight lake placid” ICONIC

Fingertips is also a favourite but I need a whole separate post for that because it’s so complex

I skipped through the interludes as well because I just couldn’t be bothered with them. JA shouted too much and JB’s one was just creepy. I might go back and give them another listen at some point but I’m not a fan 

first of all this album is AMAZING. i need to spend more time with all the songs but on first listen my faves are candy necklace, A&W, fingertips, paris, texas, peppers and taco truck :trisha:

12 minutes ago, Jeanne Dielman said:

AllMusic - 80/100

https://www.allmusic.com/album/did-you-know-that-theres-a-tunnel-under-ocean-blvd-mw0003879288

Still to be added on MC:

Pitchfork - 83

AllMusic - 80

Record Collector - 80

Slant - 60

Spin - 50/60 (I guess) 

Very positive reviews by Financial Times, Toronto Star, and Readrange, but unfortunately they don’t count for MC or AOTY. 

we need more 90s and 100s to balance these rats out :rip:

giphy.gif

4 minutes ago, gothphetamine said:

Lana is truly THE artist of our generation. In fact, I think she’s one of the greatest of all time

OB is the most fascinating body of work she’s ever released. The fact that she goes SO deeply into every aspect of her past, touches on uncomfortable feelings with candour (the line about being “super suicidal” in Candy Necklace anyone?), and also makes a cohesive link back to tracks/eras from her entire career, including the Lizzy Grant days, is MINDBLOWING

My favourites

️ Candy necklace surprisingly catchy and also quite eerie especially as it ended. I wasn’t a fan of JB’s solo vocals at the end which is the only part I didn’t enjoy. Contextually it’s very rich and I’m going to listen to it and analyse the themes and subtext properly later 

️ Kintsugi I lost a family member recently and this hit me HARD. But it’s so comforting at the same time. There were some bits I was confused about though - what’s with “There's somethin' about the clutch of the wrist / He thought mine was his to carve into his mouth” ? To me it almost sounded like SA/physical abuse (linking back to A&W) but that wouldn’t really fit with the context of the song so idk. Also the line “by the third of March I was cracked open”, does anyone know what this refers to?

Let the light in this is lowkey so sexy?? (I’m going to be crass and ask: are these two fucking fr?) It’s lyrically very lizzyesque

Fishtails also sexy?? The description on genius said it’s about Lana and Chuck though and I’m like… well I certainly HOPE not. I know they kissed but :/ I love the auto tune, it’s an interesting new technique from Lana. Also I love the callback to Jump “palm trees in black and white, I love to see them sway” vs “palm trees in black and white, last thing I saw before I died”

️ Peppers ok I’d never heard of TG before and from the name thought it was a dude and I was MAD. Like I don’t want to hear some guy singing on what’s allegedly a sexy song. I was so relieved it wasn’t lmao. I just wish Lana had joined in a bit more on the chorus

TT x VB I actually preferred the leaked snippet of TT. Even though it was lq it sounded really gritty and dirty, and the final version was just a bit TOO polished. Also I feel like the bit with Margaret speaking in the middle could’ve literally been anything else. Like get Alana or Chuck to say something.. that would’ve been cool. Idk it just seemed pointless thanks Jack. HOWEVER this version of VB is the only one I’ll accept from now on. It’s so hot and grimy. “Not tonight lake placid” ICONIC

Fingertips is also a favourite but I need a whole separate post for that because it’s so complex

I skipped through the interludes as well because I just couldn’t be bothered with them. JA shouted too much and JB’s one was just creepy. I might go back and give them another listen at some point but I’m not a fan 

it's weird because I got an SA vibe from that line in kintsugi but I couldn't piece together what it meant in context :hair:

Y’all I had the chance to listen to this album drunk 3 times consecutively last night, and then again twice this morning.None of my irl friends listen to Lana and I love discussing :usrs:

1.A&W

2.Candy Necklace

3.Sweet

4.Did you know that there’s a tunnel under Ocean Blvd

5.Jon Batiste Interlude

6.Paris, Texas

7.Kintsugi

8.The Grants

9.Judah Smith Interlude

10.Let The Light In

11.Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he’s deep-sea fishing

12.Fingertips

13.Fishtail

14.Taco Truck

15.Margaret

16.Peppers

Hopefully some of the bottom tier ones will grow on me:w8ing:

6 minutes ago, gothphetamine said:

I think it was Chuck speaking this whole time?? :pout: I’m gonna pretend I didn’t read what you said about that but I do love her lines so much. They’re so dreamy and make the transition from TT to VB so warm, comforting, and nostalgic sounding. Like waking up from a long nap and the sun is starting to set 

sgopYhV.gif

Happy official release day! :party:

what a phenomenal album! Personally I rate it about 8.5 or 9/10

I don’t love Candy Necklace as much as everyone else seems to, and I think Taco needs to be longer and VB shorter 

"Don’t forget me"

1 minute ago, FootfallsEcho said:

it's weird because I got an SA vibe from that line in kintsugi but I couldn't piece together what it meant in context :hair:

Ahh I’m glad I’m not the only one! I thought I was being weird. I can’t work it out honestly bc it sounds like she’s describing being around her family mourning their deaths and then there’s that one line that sticks out

also unrelated but the “daddy I miss them” bit at first made me think of Lana being sent to boarding school and telling her dad that she misses her siblings and patty

1 minute ago, Crimson and Clover said:

I think it was Chuck speaking this whole time?? :pout: I’m gonna pretend I didn’t read what you said about that but I do love her lines so much. They’re so dreamy and make the transition from TT to VB so warm, comforting, and nostalgic sounding. Like waking up from a long nap and the sun is starting to set 

I wish it was, I went onto genius and saw it was Margaret but… we can just say it’s chuck right

1 hour ago, fine china said:

For right now, this album has not dethroned UV, NFR, or Honeymoon for me. 

it hasn’t dethroned honeymoon but definitely nfr

we’re gonna party like it’s 1949

⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀  ⠀          ⠀     :¨ ·.· ¨:

⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀   ⠀                  `· . ꔫ

It’s such a good album , I find it hard to pick individual stand alone songs as it feels like this one long flowing fever dream. I feel that the singles are the strongest as individual tracks and the rest really do flow into each other. It feels like a long dark yet oddly hopeful dream. I think my favorite is candy necklace. And I still am loving JS interlude it’s so fucking eerie and says a lot about what this album is about. 

1 minute ago, mlittle11 said:

i honestly really liked the interludes. they add so much to the album’s atmosphere. i especially loved the jon batiste interlude

A&W - JS - CN - JB  is probably my favorite run currently