Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,052 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

Just now, American Bore said:

I'm not 100% sure if this is right but I've just noticed...

Does she sing 'love song' in LTLI in the same melody as she sings 'love song' in love song?

yes! :krylie: the nfr references in this album are so good

Happy as the moonshine

God I wonder what Candy Necklace's true meaning is meant to be. I wish this was one of the songs she actually explained in interviews... to me, it seems to be a fucked up relationship that she knows is falling apart and tearing her down because the guy is so reckless, yet, this is also something that she loves about him. She knows it's immature to be acting so wild and yet she can't help but be into it... thus the song ends with no resolution. Just her and the guy repeating "Candy Necklaces." The thing that is both making her suicidal and in love. :air:

The fact that there are only 2 songs that I don’t think I will find myself listening to outside of the album itself (besides the interludes) is a feat in itself😭 last time that happened was NFR

3bd05eb1685d7f9b53b154c4195388d9.gif

❀˖° ⋆.ೃ࿔ this is my idea of fun °❀⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

This album is Lana's return to greatness. I loved BB (hated COCC) but THIS is just an absolutely perfect brilliant fresh album front to back that seems like such a huge landmark in her whole creative output atm already. It is 10/10. She made me feel things I last felt with Lana while listening to Honeymoon, I am speechless. The only track that can go is Juda Smith interlude. Everything else is literally Lana at some of her ALL-TIME BEST

If this album was a perfume, it’d be Tom Ford’s Cherry Smoke. Dark and kinda somber, but with this flirty cherry running thru the whole thing and some churchy incense. 

0-D9-B4-BAE-A7-F2-4-FF4-93-FB-F863-B500-

find someone who looks at you the way Lana looks at Taylor Swift

I'm not a reviewer at all, I can't go through each song and explain why I love it. I just do, I love this album. Gotta preface this again with saying I love everything Lana releases, so call me bias but this album is amazing. I've had a lot of loss in my family the last few years, I lost my grandma last year March 28th, lost my grandpa in Feb 2020, lost my uncle to cancer in 2019. So my mom lost her mom, dad, and brother so close together. Kintsugi and Fingertips just really hits for me, I feel like this album came at the perfect time since it's so close to March 28th. I think too listening to Kintsugi and Fingertips while reading the lyrics makes the song more impactful. 

I fucking love Candy Necklace, it sounds so haunting. And then the Jon Batiste interlude came on and wow...okay so I wasn't super excited for the interludes but the JB one is amazing. I love it so much, I really hope when she releases the music video for it that's included. It's like the perfect outro for Candy Necklace. 

The album through Grandfather feels very personal, dark, cold, and then once "Let The Light In" comes on I feel like the end of the album gets warmer, like a hug after the first 11 songs. Idk if that makes sense, like I said I'm not a reviewer but damn :defeated:. I have to finish reading through this thread but maybe someone else explained it way better than I did. 

Lana did it again :crying5: I love it so much. Can't wait to explore this album more and more. And for the songs I didn't mention I love them too! It would just take forever to go through each song individually. 

18 minutes ago, Rocket0212 said:

Literally any sh*t is getting a score over 75 now. Objectively this album is a 80 or 85 but if we compare it to something like MIDnights it' a 95. That's why fans are mad.

A pop girl with one of the worst discographies rn Demi Lovato got a 78 for her latest record and this one is 2 points higher so far.:flop:

Yeah it’s very rare for a female pop singer to score below an 80 on Metacritic these days.

i knew from the start that the moment lana took a more adventurous approach with any record the critics would switch sides and give it polarizing reviews. that's the thing with them, they don't like anything that steps out of the comfort zone

Just now, kuntsugi said:

i knew from the start that the moment lana took a more adventurous approach with any record the critics would switch sides and give it polarizing reviews. that's the thing with them, they don't like anything that steps out the comfort zone

Ok I do have to say, she’s not really getting “polarizing” views…. shes getting 80+ with a few 60-70 outliers 😭  

3bd05eb1685d7f9b53b154c4195388d9.gif

❀˖° ⋆.ೃ࿔ this is my idea of fun °❀⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

1 minute ago, kuntsugi said:

i knew from the start that the moment lana took a more adventurous approach with any record the critics would switch sides and give it polarizing reviews. that's the thing with them, they don't like anything that steps out the comfort zone

and then we wait 10 years so she can be recognized as a visionary again 

Thinking of the reception of great music this year I, for one, LOVE Caroline Polachek and her music is AMAZING but I am so puzzled how her latest album is freaking 93 MC while Tunnels is shaping up to be lower than 80. The math ain't mathing for me :oprah2: