Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,052 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

i think there are those who love the album and those who hate it. I don't belong to any group. there are really good songs on it, but I don't like many of them either.  but i see it more like picking it out, make your own ep out of your favorite songs like actor and forget what you don't like. you don't have to like every song

its not simple its trigonometry on We Heart It

2 minutes ago, Maltese Falcon said:

hands on your knees angelina jolie

hands on your knees im angelina jolie

lemme put my hands on your knees you can braid my hair

do a fat cris-cross in the back somewhere

:squidward:

giphy.gif

It seems like A&W, Candy Necklace, Let The Light In and Paris, Texas are the albums "fan-favorites" as of now :candy:

─── ・ 。: *.☽ .* :。 ───

9.gif

You're the king mafia baby
I am the Queen of Alchemy

I wanted to read through the entire thread before I posted, but went to work and came back to ever-multiplying pages... which actually makes me so happy :wub: This album feels like such an event in a way the last couple haven't (no shade; I don't think COCC and BB were intended to be 'event' records), and there's always something so special in feeling this collective rise in energy when a record drops. Love y'all, love this place, and, my god, I love the music...

I don't think I can really formulate the full assessment I want to eventually write after only a couple listens, but I am really amazed at how quickly this record has found its way into my heart. There's nothing wrong with an album that grows on you (BB :creep:), and sometimes, that experience is really rewarding, but there's something to be said for a record that immediately hits full-force -- even more remarkable when it's as dense as DYK... it's definitely a piece of music that rewards close listening. I achieved that with the help of some illegal substances that I can't help but feel that Lanita would endorse (GET HIGH! DROP ACID! NEVER DIE! NOT TONIGHT! LAKE PLACID!), of course, and it paid off to really become immersed in all the detail Lana and her incredible crew of collaborators worked into both the lyrics and the production. I love so much that Lana's still got the power to surprise me after so many years and so much deep-diving into her world, both the public and personal (get thee behind me, Lanalysis brainrot)

That being said, I think what's impressed me most in the day following my first listen is how well this album illuminates all her previous work. I didn't want to ruin the magic by relistening to the album while I was at work today, but I needed my Lana fix, so I bumped unreleased stuff all day long -- and it all just sounds even more genius after Ocean Blvd. From Sirens, which so clearly provides the root of all the plain-faced confessionalism throughout DYK (who knew My Momma was the Rosetta Stone all along!!!) to the laptop demos, where I hear so much of the sampling and playful experimentation that makes DYK sonically so interesting. It's all been there, all along, and it's a real marker of success that an album so far into her career could invite such fresh perspectives on work that's even as old as the May Jailer recordings. If anyone were ever in doubt that LDR has created a bona fide artistic legacy, this should be the record to convince them. I was already a believer, but, man, it feels like becoming a fan all over again...

Anyway, I'm going to hush for now before I start rattling off my stoned realization that the standard cover looks like an inversion of AKA's and all the implications I made up for that :yesnod:

o4qjp4j.png

21 minutes ago, yourolllikethunder said:

sooooooo Lana needs to collab more with Jon Batiste… !!!!!! ❤️🔥❤️🔥❤️🔥❤️🔥

edit: I also really want the song they improv’d in the interlude where she’s saying something something “honey” really high pitched 🥹 

OMG totally! I've been wanting her to explore more of 70's progressive rock sound. Somebody said it sounds so Pink Floydish in the pre-release thread, I can see it! 

Honestly I keep wanting to do a ranking but I find this album , for me at least, isn’t too much about individual tracks. I feel like it’s all one mood, or at the very least in sections and small chunks of 2-3 stretches.

it’s like one long fever dream. It’s stunning and dark and just so heavy IMO. I feel in a way the upbeat moments are her coping with all of the surrounding songs messages and being fresh out of fucks vibes. I love it all, least favorite track as of now is Paris Texas. Not a fan of the theatrical singing,

feels a little unnatural but I still appreciate it for what it is in the mix. I like Margaret and let the light in a lot but I find the tonal shift having margret and let the light in back go back feels a bit intense , even though I get the message of the tonal shift and she’s always slaying those tonal shifts lol. 
I think the singles released were the strongest stand alone tracks, and Candy necklace is my absolute favorite moment on the album besides those singles. Overall this is david lynch Esque fever dream and I love this whole vibe for her. I would love visuals for more tracks then just CN!

I also don’t think I Can just simply rate something is raw and personal with numbers so I won’t! 

sweet is such a beautiful song that just grows on you the more you listen to it. i agree with the people who said this sounds like something from a musical or a broadway show. it’s like something sondheim would write and if i close my eyes i can just imagine bernadette peters singing it. also the part where she sings “i’ve got things to do like nothing at all” kinda reminds me of stay by rihanna a bit

14 minutes ago, Yameena Khatri said:

OMG totally! I've been wanting her to explore more of 70's progressive rock sound. Somebody said it sounds so Pink Floydish in the pre-release thread, I can see it! 

we neeeed this!!!! jon is the hero with CN and the interlude.

its not simple its trigonometry on We Heart It