Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,059 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

3 hours ago, Greenwich Acid said:

is it just me, or is there more lyrical cross-over on this album than usual?

there's a lot of repetition of certain motifs i guess, even between songs that are thematically different, and i can't tell if that's intentional

Very intentional. I mean we’re talking about an album with several Lana samples.

Grandfather, kintsugi and a&w are definitely the standouts for me so far after two listens 

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

after some time with the album, i think my least favorites are:

fishtail - it sounds like a cheap remix of a lana song. the lyrics are beautiful so it makes me so sad that the production just isnt good. 

sweet - it feels like filler to me. definitely not a stand out track but its not horrible like another track we know….

kintsugi - i really thought i’d love this one but even after multiple listens it just isnt clicking. i appreciate the lyrics and lana’s vulnerability. i can also relate to the lyrical content (i lost two people in my family last year) but something just feels off about it.

margaret - this makes me sad bc its literally my name :toofunny: the course is catchy n sweet but the writing feels a bit corny to me, i get a taylor swift vibe which i dislike, and jack ruins the vibe.

there are so many references from her previous songs/poems it's impossible find them all and :trisha: living for it

some of these feel like a stretch tbh but here are the ones off the top o my head that i haven't seen mentioned already:

Kintsugi - Wild At Heart (melody)

Daddy I miss them, I’m in the mountains/Daddy I miss them I’m at the road runner cafe - What would you say if I told you u make me crazy/Time after time I think about leaving

Peppers - Nectar of the gods 

Got a knife in my jacket, honey on the vine - What sweet world is this? Honey on the vine

Peppers - Bartender

I got a truck, I take it out for a midnight, a midnight drive, yeah - I bought me a truck in the middle of the night

Fishtail - Pretty When You Cry

don't you dare say that you'll braid my hair, babe/when you don't really care - Don't say you need me when you leave and you leave again & I'll wait for you, babe/You don't come through, babe/You never do, babe/That's just what you do

Sad Girl - Fishtail

i'm a sad girl - you wanted me sadder

Brooklyn Baby - Fishtail

they say i'm too dumb to sing - not that smart, but i've got things to say

tumblr-n02pmk-XHSH1rcgcl7o6-250.gif

1 minute ago, mlittle11 said:

after some time with the album, i think my least favorites are:

fishtail - it sounds like a cheap remix of a lana song. the lyrics are beautiful so it makes me so sad that the production just isnt good. 

sweet - it feels like filler to me. definitely not a stand out track but its not horrible like another track we know….

kintsugi - i really thought i’d love this one but even after multiple listens it just isnt clicking. i appreciate the lyrics and lana’s vulnerability. i can also relate to the lyrical content (i lost two people in my family last year) but something just feels off about it.

margaret - this makes me sad bc its literally my name :toofunny: the course is catchy n sweet but the writing feels a bit corny to me, i get a taylor swift vibe which i dislike, and jack ruins the vibe.

The one I agree on is Margaret. The others I will overlook since we are on same page with Margaret lol. I really feel like it is overhyped.  Idk it just doesn’t do much for me. Weakest track on the album. I skip it when it comes on. Just doesn’t feel very Lana to me. I can’t explain it.  To each their own though.  Maybe it will click one day but I don’t think so lol.  

Jon Denton’s reaction is interesting. He says his standout track is… Kintsugi 🤯 and he feels like the last three tracks feel like bonus tracks. 

i don’t necessarily agree, but always enjoy other POV 

To all of you who bash Drew Erickson, no slander towards him will be tolerated here :read:

The string arrangements are incredible. Sweet is one of the underdogs of this album for sure (which proves hot strong this album is, when a song like Sweet could be considered like a « mid » track), but it begs revisiting. It feels like a Disney-esque song or something from the 50s. Fingertips also. They are stunning. 
and well, mentioning this again, but the end of Let The Light in :crying2:

Just now, Greenwich Acid said:

ngl i expected to be here for the Margaret slander but it's lowkey in my top five if not top three

like yes it's corny as fuck but it's so earnest and something about that has me so weak

It’s one of my biggest surprises as well. It’s a song you’d play at your parents ‘s or grandparents’s anniversary. And, well, it’s a thousand times better than the collab she did for their album :oop2:

8 minutes ago, ShadesOfFool said:

Sweet sounds like it’s from a Disney musical so I’m just ignoring it tbh but it’s not ****bad****

yes this is exactly how i feel. sometimes i feel like lanas newer singing style can feel very theatrical. unfortunately, thats how her vocals sounded on this song. dont get me wrong, she sounds great it just gives a vibe to the song im not the biggest fan of. 

13 minutes ago, ShadesOfFool said:

Sweet sounds like it’s from a Disney musical so I’m just ignoring it tbh but it’s not ****bad****

i also thought sweet was disney orchestral vibes but i didn’t think it was a bad thing! once upon a dream tease

37 minutes ago, Greenwich Acid said:

there's a lot of repetition of certain motifs i guess, even between songs that are thematically different, and i can't tell if that's intentional

i mean all of the songs were made around the same time, imo it really helps to pull the entire thing together. i think its cohesiveness comes from the lyrical journey

11 hours ago, BoardingSchool said:

I thought Candy Necklace would just be cute/fun and was not prepared for it to metaphorically punch me in the fucking face :crying4: it’s haunting me the same way 13 Beaches did…I almost don’t want to listen to it because it hurts but I need to?? :crai:

So much of Lana's music is cathartic, I think that's the whole point of so much of it and why we love it...it brings us in touch with our sorrow, pain, anger, frustration, disappointment, loneliness, and all kinds of ambiguous emotions which we have no name for. And that's a healthy process, not a morbid one. I have an entire playlist called 'Darkness Makes It Easy' on my phone which only features such songs, and it's helpful--and relieving--to listen to when I find myself in one of those states of mind. 

40 minutes ago, Greenwich Acid said:

i do think it’s super intentional since she’s done it before but this album is so vulnerable and personal it’s def a culmination of all of her life and lyrics thus far and so the repetition was unavoidable and i think it’s perfect