Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,059 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

i feel like part of her must not care too much about numbers this far into her career. the depth on some of the tracks of this album might not spark a new listener like some of her past records but i think she’s speaking to long term fans and just speaking her truth in general 

when will y’all learn that lana does not care  anymore about either charts or critical reception? she’s moved on from that and i really don’t know why everyone on here is so invested in the numbers the album is doing. she made this for us. not for other people. most importantly and most obviously though, she made this album for her. music is art and not just a job to her. i swear some of you don’t even listen to the lyrics because if you did youd understand that she has always been more interested in the art than in the money. get a life, go outside, touch some grass, and enjoy this album. or don’t. it’s that’s simple.

giphy.gif

13 minutes ago, lilacheaven said:

Idk but I just can't get the hype on Fishtails, the lyricism is great but all that unnecessary autotune and 2016 background effects... WTF

no fishtail slander it’s hot like tulsa jesus freak 

1 minute ago, peachlipgloss said:

no fishtails slander it’s hot like tulsa jesus freak 

Damn I've seen lot of ppl comparing the two songs together but to me they just are not that similar. Idk it's just me probably lol - but still the album as a whole is a masterpiece imo

Just now, lilacheaven said:

Damn I've seen lot of ppl comparing the two songs together but to me they just are not that similar. Idk it's just me probably lol - but still the album as a whole is a masterpiece imo

to me just the use of autotune and overall sultry vibe is really similar, but i personally like when artists that can sing well use autotune creatively, i think when it’s done well it really works 

1 minute ago, peachlipgloss said:

i feel like part of her must not care too much about numbers this far into her career. the depth on some of the tracks of this album might not spark a new listener like some of her past records but i think she’s speaking to long term fans and just speaking her truth in general 

Yeah for the first time I think this record is 100% for the fans. I don't think anyone (or at least not 90% of people) would get into Lana with this album... 

It's like her Amnesiac.

2 hours ago, Luna de miel said:

there are so many references from her previous songs/poems it's impossible find them all and :trisha: living for it

some of these feel like a stretch tbh but here are the ones off the top o my head that i haven't seen mentioned already:

Kintsugi - Wild At Heart (melody)

Daddy I miss them, I’m in the mountains/Daddy I miss them I’m at the road runner cafe - What would you say if I told you u make me crazy/Time after time I think about leaving

Peppers - Nectar of the gods 

Got a knife in my jacket, honey on the vine - What sweet world is this? Honey on the vine

Peppers - Bartender

I got a truck, I take it out for a midnight, a midnight drive, yeah - I bought me a truck in the middle of the night

Fishtail - Pretty When You Cry

don't you dare say that you'll braid my hair, babe/when you don't really care - Don't say you need me when you leave and you leave again & I'll wait for you, babe/You don't come through, babe/You never do, babe/That's just what you do

Sad Girl - Fishtail

i'm a sad girl - you wanted me sadder

Brooklyn Baby - Fishtail

they say i'm too dumb to sing - not that smart, but i've got things to say

And the drowning reference shared by Fingertips and Out with a Bang…. so heartbreaking 

48 minutes ago, Xenoblade 2 said:

NFR did 15 million when she has just 19 million monthly listeners. Now she has over 41 million and doing the same numbers? A mess 💀. Where are those people? That ratio is TERRIBLE.

This is a Miley Cyrus/Sam Smith disaster :trisha:.

Whenever you make these posts I imagine you foaming at the mouth while you're typing

imageproxy.jpg

Ranking after 3-4 listens:

1. Paris, Texas
  2. A&W
  3. Fishtail
  4. Candy Necklace
  5. Jon Batiste Interlude
  6. Judah Smith Interlude
  7. Taco Truck x VB
  8. The Grants
  9. Fingertips
  10. Kintsugi
  11. Sweet
  12. Did you know that there’s a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
  13. Let the Light In
  14. Margaret
  15. Grandfather please stand
  16. Peppers

I feel like I need a lot more time with numbers 10-16 (besides Ocean Blvd) listed above as a lot of them run together in my head for me or aren’t as memorable as the first 9 I listed.

It’s not about having someone to love me anymore

This is the experience of being an American whore

I really appreciate the flow of this album. It's like she's holding our hands and guiding us into the most truest self of hers. Starting from the beginning on how it builds up slowly to the peak of the album FINGERTIPS (which I consider the heart of the album). If it was a movie, then it's the flashback montage that gives context to the whole thing. I believe the last part of the album was solely to break the tension and let loose, so I could see why the reactor consider them as bonus tracks (but I was living tho). Or could be the bridge to her next project. *Ignore this if you're not as delusional as me* VB having a moment could indicate that she might revisit her older stuffs and bring them to life. :runs:

2 minutes ago, evalionisameme said:

Who cares about streaming figures-she’s a millionaire 

She can bomb and it would make no difference 

the first time i’ve ever agreed with any of your posts :true:

giphy.gif

“Lana doesn’t care about sales anymore” 1234567th variants. Merch dropping every three days.:lmao:

“Lana doesn’t care about critical reception anymore” Perched at 4am in the morning to read reviews. Now has a literal link on her Instagram bio. :eartha: