Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,060 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

Taco Truck would be such a hit clocking at just 2 minutes. She sang with an easy to grasp melody and punchy voice and lyrics. The whole song is very mainstream with crisp vocals that can played on the radio. Taco Truck x VB works for me on the album, even though I stopped at the VB part most of the time. It just embodied the whole album. Two songs mixed genre and self sample. That is THE album. The VB part works as an outro for me.

Listening to it alone tho is a frustrating experience because the first part is too good I fear. The other part felt unnecessary.

37 minutes ago, love deluxe said:

when will y’all learn that lana does not care  anymore about either charts or critical reception? she’s moved on from that and i really don’t know why everyone on here is so invested in the numbers the album is doing. she made this for us. not for other people. most importantly and most obviously though, she made this album for her. music is art and not just a job to her. i swear some of you don’t even listen to the lyrics because if you did youd understand that she has always been more interested in the art than in the money. get a life, go outside, touch some grass, and enjoy this album. or don’t. it’s that’s simple.

Agree 💯. Although I know I bring up a lot of Twitter facts about her streaming (mostly because I am amazed that someone I love so much is doing so well when my faves usually aren’t). Lana is playing the long-game and I think her label understands that. 
as for wanting her albums to be well-received, let’s just say that they are (even if Ocean didn’t receive a perfect 10 like many wanted- Lana might be too divisive for that), and thank God were not in the 2012-15 run of career anymore: let’s just say that not many of them « got » her back then. 

this album is such a grower, i'm kinda glad i listened to the leaks tbh because by the time it came out i processed it so much more and noticed all the small details and stuff and truly appreciated it better, maybe i'm just tryna justify it:silly: 

5a86642010719_tumblr_otrpzotSn41rdizqpo1

4 minutes ago, Xenoblade 2 said:

Taco Truck would be such a hit clocking at just 2 minutes. She sang with an easy to grasp melody and punchy voice and lyrics. The whole song is very mainstream with crisp vocals that can played on the radio. Taco Truck x VB works for me on the album, even though I stopped at the VB part most of the time. It just embodied the whole album. Two songs mixed genre and self sample. That is THE album. The VB part works as an outro for me.

Listening to it alone tho is a frustrating experience because the first part is too good I fear. The other part felt unnecessary. The Grants intro syndrome.

Girl go make your sped up versions and TikTok remixes and line 'em on your VLC player or whatever you use :prettyhurts:

2 hours ago, Greenwich Acid said:

is it just me, or is there more lyrical cross-over on this album than usual?

there's a lot of repetition of certain motifs i guess, even between songs that are thematically different, and i can't tell if that's intentional

I squealed when I heard "palm trees in black and white" in Fishtail :oprah2:

22 minutes ago, gatadelrey said:

I put the album on and when Margaret came on and Jack started singing my cat looked up and gave this disgusted look in the direction of the music. Wish I had it on camera. She’s so funny. 

Anyways, I’m still processing everything but I love this album so much :wub:

The cat has taste

6 minutes ago, love deluxe said:

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii went to paris…

(texas)

withasuitcaseinmyhand :angie:

This song resonates with me a lot. 
i had two unbelievable misfortunes with my latest trips (they both got cancelled), so to hear her talk about Paris, Florence and Venice, not those dreamy wordly cities, but their more « down-to-Earth » equivalent, in a song about  going home, I felt that.:cryney2:

now that i’ve had time, heres my (first) ranking. i love all of these songs, genuinely. and i think this is the first time ive had a completely no-skip album from her (i skip tnbar sometimes on nfr which is my fav from her though i don’t consider it a bad song). i won’t rank the interludes because there’s really no point. also my top 3 are kinda interchangeable and this was incredibly difficult to rank.

fingertips

kintsugi

grandfather

candy necklace

grants

a&w

taco truck

paris, texas 

tunnel

peppers

let the light in

sweet

margaret

fishtail

giphy.gif

i think this album is one of lanas best. the song writing is impeccable and the melodies (for the most part) are so catchy n hypnotic. each song is so special and the interludes add so much atmosphere. 

i dont think it tops my other faves (UV, NFR, HM) because although im very into experimental song structure and stream-of-consciousness writing, i do miss when lana’s songs felt really put together and intentional. verse-course-verse-course-insane bridge-course/outro is something i miss quite a lot from her :crai: but i do love this album n the entire era and we’re so lucky to be able to look back n listen to all the different facets of lana

my favorite part of every song

Spoiler

The Grants - The Terrence like vocals, specially in the “do you think about heaven?” line

Ocean Blvd - The outro and the delivery from the backup singers :trisha: also the harry nilsson part

Sweet - Wait For Life and the basic bitch line

A&W - Pretty much all of the first part. Its just so addictive

Judah - The instrumental :trisha: simply gorgeous

Candy Necklace - sittin on the sofa part and the piano solo

JBI - Its beautiful. I love the instrumental of this and how Jon reaction feels genuine 

Kintsugi - Donoghue line and the last minute 

Fingertips - The way the instrumental fits every line and makes them feel like they are striking back at you

PT - The way she whispers the cities and the sample is so well done

Grandpa - THE SAMPLE :trisha: I know riopy is proud. her vocals are outstanding too

LTLI - FJM IS SERVING FATHER. Beatles line. Overcoat line. THE FUCKIN OUTRO

Margaret - THE PARTY IS DECEMBER 18. The outro is the outro for the books Kintsugi was talking about

Fishtail - The Jump reference I guess :crossed: Im not really getting used to this song

Peppers - EVERYTHING. this song is her trap / surf rock magnum opus. The Tommy sample is AMAZING. The spoken bridge is great. The instrumental is so good at every second

Taco Truck x VB: Taco Truck :crossed:

and also for giving me Margaret

1 hour ago, Terrence Loves Me said:

that review annoyed me, i hated the way he kept talking while the songs were still playing

i don’t like his reactions now :rip: since cocc they all feel very forced and it’s clear he just doesn’t wanna go in on her because he knows her fans are the only reason his channel is as big as it is now 

Ajay’s cocc and bb reactions felt similarly forced too