Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,052 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

2 minutes ago, Harry Nilsson said:

because it's the shortest song, they have only a short attention span

yep and it's also one of the tightest, like traditionally structured with a hook and such so it's very palatable (still a great song) compared to a lot of the songs on here that through structure out the window lol

.~~* i never meant to hurt you baby, it's so hard to be good, in this world where you do what you know you shouldn't *~~.

So many people hating the Judah interlude and skipping it on reactions…

I am personally very anti-religion and all the church stuff, but the interlude wasn’t at all as bad as I expected. The production makes it very eerie, it sounds like a movie scene, and what he’s saying isn’t that bad as well - if you take out the whole “god and bible” aspect of it - he’s talking about trying to live a better life, live in the moment, appreciate things around himself and not chase after more materialistic things. 

and the ending is very reflective of the album itself - Lana’s preaching is not about us, it’s about her. The interlude is a key part of understanding this album and people who’re skipping it are missing out, I said what I said:w8ing:

Just now, Corona said:

So many people hating the Judah interlude and skipping it on reactions…

I am personally very anti-religion and all the church stuff, but the interlude wasn’t at all as bad as I expected. The production makes it very eerie, it sounds like a movie scene, and what he’s saying isn’t that bad as well - if you take the whole “god and bible” aspect of it - he’s talking about trying to live a better life, live in the moment, appreciate things around himself and not chase after more materialistic things. 

and the ending is very reflective of the album itself - Lana’s preaching is not about us, it’s about her. The interlude is a key part of understanding this album and people who’re skipping it are missing out, I said what I said:w8ing:

It’s also very annoying when most YouTube reactioners skip the interlude right before it gets to the most important part and then they’re like “I don’t know why she had to put that there” :air:

14 minutes ago, cominguplavender said:

not gonna get into this but the american christian culture that judah smith is a part of is completely enmeshed with the way capitalism operates and oppresses in America and it's probably similar elsewhere. and judah smith is not a feminist, the lines about lust and infatuation sound a lot like the rhetoric used to suppress female sexuality

i think youre getting way too hung up on judah smith himself/his church or whatever- i could care less about the guy lmao, what is interesting to me is what is said & Lana's choice to include it right after A&W...like that says a lot. & i think thats where the feminist standpoint could easily come in. 

like no one is saying *he's* a feminist or anti capitalist, they're saying Lana's artistic choice can be interpreted that way

but anyways, it's not black or white, its obv nuanced & i get the people who appreciate it less too

1 minute ago, burthday kake said:

i think youre getting way too hung up on judah smith himself/his church or whatever- i could care less about the guy lmao, what is interesting to me is what get's said & Lana's choice to include it right after A&W...like that says a lot. & i think thats where the feminist standpoint could easily come in. 

like no one is saying *he's* a feminist or anti capitalist, they're saying Lana's artistic choice can be interpreted that way

k yes i agree 💗 i see those perspectives with lana's decision to put it in but thought that what was being said was that his literal words expressed that

.~~* i never meant to hurt you baby, it's so hard to be good, in this world where you do what you know you shouldn't *~~.

current rank :hooker:

group 1 - solid top tracks

group 2 - amazing songs that just missed my top favs

group 3 - good songs but not ones i seek out

group 4 - no thank you

group 5 - why?

1. Peppers
  2. Tack Truck
  3. Fingertips
  4. A&W
  5. Candy Necklace
  6. Did You Know...
  7. The Grants (would be better without the intro)
  8. Fishtail
  9. Kintsugi
  10. Sweet
  11. Margaret (would be better solo)
  12. Grandfather...
  13. Let the Light in
  14. Paris, Texas
  15. both interludes