Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,052 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

I had to revive my account just to vote in this thread and say that this album outdid honeymoon for me I never thought that would EVERRR happen. I've only listened to it twice (once each on my green and dark pink vinyl) and I still feel disoriented like a bomb dropped out of the speakers. Like putting it on is an experience and I couldn't imagine just having it play in the background. The fact that I put on side C and didn't know what was about to happen to my psyche. Fingertips altered the structure of my brain

I'm in love with how complex this album is. I feel like with every listen i digest it more. There are more songs i like than others, but I feel it's an album u have to listen to all the way through to understand it. 

I don't mind it's wordy-ness, bc I love hearing her speak. I also adore that it's very particular to her fans. Like if u don't know Lana's story and own every album, you won't understand this album or its references. 

My stand out songs are:

The Grants

Ocean blvd

A&W

Juda Interlude

Candy Necklace

Jon Batiste Interlude 

Fingertips

Grandfather pls

Let the Light in

Fishtail

Peppers

This album makes me feel sad, like a bad bitch, and like im there in the room present with them - hanging out like we're friends.

With this album, I feel like it's a new genre from what she was doing; although it's poetic and wordy, the production is super cinematic. I love the combo of her poetry with the cinematic production. It's almost as if she is singing to us on the set of a musical that only contains soliloquies. 

With this album and how its been composed, my reflection on COCC and BB is that they were sister albums, and none of the songs on Ocean blvd are anything like that. She says she doesn't have a vision for where she is going, but me thinks she does know, and it was very clear with this . 

Also fishtail gives me lykke li vibes

Edited by missamericatrash

i find it interestingly ironic how a lot of the things that people get mad about nowadays regarding lana are things she's done in the past or throughout her career and nobody had any issue with previously

people are already getting upset at her for referencing black dahlia in the upcoming candy necklace music video... but nobody has anything to say about her recreating JFK's murder in the national anthem music video, i can see how referencing such events can be a tricky, and if they referenced, it should be done in a tasteful, respectful way that makes sense for the purpose of art, the music video isn't even completely out yet, it might make more sense once the complete video is released, regardless, i would like to think that lana is referencing her for a reason, i do think it would be distasteful to dress/imitate her just for the aesthetic or for no reason at all

#lana del rey from NFR!  #lana del rey from NFR!  #lana del rey from NFR!

Something about this album just feels so grand. It is, in every sense, Lana Del Rey. I don't really know how else to explain it. I love this album so much 

imageproxy.jpg

11 minutes ago, Hejira87 said:

I hear some of "A groovy kind of love" in "Margaret". Would not be surprised if that was a song Jack loves and fits in. 

Also Bonnie Tyler's 'A Total Eclipse Of The Heart'

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

36 minutes ago, Miss doing nothing said:

My boyfriend tested positive for COVID, it don‘t matter

We’ve been kissing, so whatever he has, I have, I can’t cry

my mother looking for ways to get massively canceled a second time :flutter:

𝓘'𝓶 𝓸𝓫𝓼𝓮𝓼𝓼𝓮𝓭 𝔀𝓲𝓽𝓱 𝓽𝓱𝓲𝓼

𝓒𝓪𝓷𝓭𝔂 𝓝𝓮𝓬𝓴𝓵𝓪𝓬𝓮𝓼

lv-0-20230326000515.gif

I walked all over Hollywood today and listened to the album from start to finish. I honestly don't think it's recency bias when I say this might be on its way to becoming my favorite Lana album. It's certainly her most complex. All of her music is cinematic for me, but this album feels almost like watching a movie, not merely just listening to an album. Every single time I listen to it, I'm picking up something new, some new connection or note I haven't caught or instrumentation I didn't notice. The album is a dark, chaotic journey, full of small beautiful moments, devastating lyrics, strange instrumental arrangements that don't go where you expect them to and keep you on your toes, little snippets of sound that aren't repeated but are so captivating I can't stop obsessing (the whistling in Kintsugi!). Lana sings about the darkest experiences of her life with a naked sincerity that breaks my heart into a million pieces; Kintsugi and Fingertips are honestly two of the most painful songs I've ever heard by any artist. But she also revels in the light, too - like on Margaret, which I think is so breathtakingly beautiful and, the main love story aside, also a great reflection on the love we get from friendships, too. There's something so touching to me about the little spoken word parts as well, and that ending waltz instrumentation is getting me every time. The way she captures the full range of human experience in this album, and the shifts in mood and tone in the span of just 16 songs, is really blowing my mind.

I think part of the reason this album is hitting me so hard is that I'm in a period of my life where I'm coming out of a years-long mental fog, realizing I haven't actually processed things I thought were over, trying to figure out at almost 34 what I actually want out of life, reflecting on what actually makes a life good and enjoyable, trying to heal from things in the past. This album is cracking me wide open in all the right ways, and I can't quite explain it rationally but I feel the album will be an essential component to my overall healing process. I've read other Lana fans say the same about this album (and her music in general), and that makes me so happy that so many of us get to share in her art.

And on a lighter note, thank god for LanaBoards - I don't know how many much more my IRL friends can talk with me about this transformative album before they're like Girl enough....and I get so much joy reading all of the thoughts and opinions and essays other people write on here. Grateful :crying5:

~*Contemplating at Costco the Santa Clarita fires.*~

I can’t understand why anyone would be put out by Lana referencing the Black Dahlia murder—which is over 75 years old—except the Elizabeth Short cultists, who, in my experience, tend to be feminists. And they don’t own the case, the crime, the myth, or the memory of ES. So many books, movies, television episodes, songs, etc have taken inspiration from that case—and except for the ES cultists, who seem half out of their minds, no one cares. On the contrary, there’s usually a great deal

of positive public interest in anything to do with the case or inspired by it. 

Short of Lana showing a mock up of herself severed at the waist and facially mutilated, I can’t think of anything she could do that could offend a reasonable person or be in ‘bad taste.’ 

38 minutes ago, Surf Noir said:

i find it interestingly ironic how a lot of the things that people get mad about nowadays regarding lana are things she's done in the past or throughout her career and nobody had any issue with previously

people are already getting upset at her for referencing black dahlia in the upcoming candy necklace music video... but nobody has anything to say about her recreating JFK's murder in the national anthem music video, i can see how referencing such events can be a tricky, and if they referenced, it should be done in a tasteful, respectful way that makes sense for the purpose of art, the music video isn't even completely out yet, it might make more sense once the complete video is released, regardless, i would like to think that lana is referencing her for a reason, i do think it would be distasteful to dress/imitate her just for the aesthetic or for no reason at all

Here’s my hot take. Lana finally said straight out point blank that her music isn’t meant to be romanticized, it’s just what’s happened and it’s the music she’s made has helped her cope. She said not every story is meant to be beautiful or easy to listen to. This albums is gorgeous, but a very uneasy listen when you listen to some of the lyrics. There’s a darkness portrayed in this album, and I def feel this concept can be done very tastefully.

1 minute ago, Vertimus said:

I can’t understand why anyone would be put out by Lana referencing the Black Dahlia murder—which is over 75 years old—except the Elizabeth Short cultists, who, in my experience, tend to be feminists. And they don’t own the case, the crime, the myth, or the memory of ES. So many books, movies, television episodes, songs, etc have taken inspiration from that case—and except for the ES cultists, who seem half out of their minds, no one cares. On the contrary, there’s usually a great deal

of positive public interest in anything to do with the case or inspired by it. 

Short of Lana showing a mock up of herself severed at the waist and facially mutilated, I can’t think of anything she could do that could offend a reasonable person or be in ‘bad taste.’ 

the fact that they are both named Elizabeth...

𝓘'𝓶 𝓸𝓫𝓼𝓮𝓼𝓼𝓮𝓭 𝔀𝓲𝓽𝓱 𝓽𝓱𝓲𝓼

𝓒𝓪𝓷𝓭𝔂 𝓝𝓮𝓬𝓴𝓵𝓪𝓬𝓮𝓼

lv-0-20230326000515.gif

6 minutes ago, TerrenceOnKilos said:

my mother looking for ways to get massively canceled a second time :flutter:

Another hot take: She is still often photographed out in public wearing a mask where a lot of celebs stopped. I don’t think the lyric is a big deal like this literally happened to me….😭 we were both vaccinated and I found out he caught COVID from somewhere, surprised I didn’t catch it lmao

1 minute ago, TerrenceOnKilos said:

the fact that they are both named Elizabeth...

Yeah, that’s something that no doubt struck Lana whenever she first heard about that terrible, unsolved crime, for which everyone from Orion Welles and Man Ray to Woody Guthrie has been suspected. 

1 minute ago, Offtotheraces01 said:

Another hot take: She is still often photographed out in public wearing a mask where a lot of celebs stopped. I don’t think the lyric is a big deal like this literally happened to me….😭 we were both vaccinated and I found out he caught COVID from somewhere, surprised I didn’t catch it lmao

it's actually not a deal at all, she's just saying her boyfriend caught covid so so did she, literally just that

Let the light in seems like such a classic Lana track. It's cinematic, the melody is very beatles-y, very 60s/70s. It's just so fucking good. If she did more songs like it on the next album i'd be absolutely happy. It seems like what LFL should've been, Tomorrow Never Came. I like that song just fine, but this seems like a more perfected sound like that. 

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

36 minutes ago, Super Movie said:

Something about this album just feels so grand. It is, in every sense, Lana Del Rey. I don't really know how else to explain it. I love this album so much 

Omg you stole the word out my mouth! Grand is the perfect word! Unapologetically Lana on a very large scale, glamorous and once again creating a new musical soundscape.

2 minutes ago, Honeyyoung said:

it's actually not a deal at all, she's just saying her boyfriend caught covid so so did she, literally just that

THANK U, i low key feel like some of y’all set her up cuz the only stans ive seen bring it up are us…