Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,059 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

I think there’s a reason why Lana said specifically before this album that some music isn’t meant to be romanticized. These are some of her most gorgeous and haunting songs, but this is definitely the most vulnerable she’s ever been. It’s art, it’s thought provoking, it’s heartbreaking, but it’s hopeful. Maybe that’s why she let us know that she is happy at the billboards awards <3

The way she kind of ruined every album with late additions. This album is still amazing but her censoring Mother and you can really hear Candy Necklece wasn't part of the album is Kind of bothering me.

Mfhp.gif

26 minutes ago, Vertimus said:

Apparently, the video Lana is producing for 'Candy Necklace,' or has already produced, features her in 1940s style, in terms of hair and dress, and she has a large purple or purplish flower in her hair, which was the social trademark of Elizabeth Short, a young woman who came to Hollywood seeking fame, may or may not have gotten into a lot of trouble with the wrong people, and ended up murdered by party or parties still unknown, her remains tossed in a field in Hollywood, completely severed at the waist and with her mouth slit from ear to ear. As you can imagine, it shocked the late 1940s genteel America, which was starting to enjoy the post-war boom.

Everything is available on google, though I don't know if the gruesomest photos still are. Beware. 

Endless books have been written about Short, making all kinds of wild statements and conjectures--that she fell into prostitution, that she was never a prostitute, that she had no vaginal canal or uterus (this is not mentioned in the autopsy, so I think it can be ruled out), that she was pregnant at the time of her death, that she used people relentlessly to survive (for example, once she slept on your sofa once and you fed her, you could never get her to leave), that she was the nicest person imaginable, that she was lazy and preferred to live off people and go from person to person, that her teeth were in terrible shape (that's putting it mildly), that she affected white facial powder and dyed her hair black, that she was publicly promiscuous (she would go down on men in bars, it was reported), etc.

Numerous people, all men to my knowledge, including doctors, policemen, underworld figures, and famous people have been suspected and investigated as being her murderer. It's one of the most high-profile unsolved cases of the 20th century. 

Whether Lana is actually using Short and her murder as a theme for the 'CN' video, I don't know. I could certainly see it, as 'CN' is doom-laden. When Lana released the footage on IG over the last 48 hours, the internet erupted with the idea that she's drawing on the Black Dahlia murder for the video. Whether there's any hard evidence of that, I don't know. Does anyone? Has she or Ben said anything to that effect? 

She mentions suicide on the album more than once, on more than one song. 

Why did I read this all in a mid-Atlantic accent:thumb3: There is a really crazy (major trigger warning) podcast about the black dahlia and the *incredibly* dark (seriously major trigger warning before listening) man who is suspected of killing her called Root of Evil. The suspect, George Hodel, was very into surrealism art and trying to impress his friend and surrealist artist, Man Ray.

OT: I hope we get a few more goodies this week like CN music video or an Insta Live:party:

Tumblr

4 hours ago, margaret soty said:

Everyone called Sweet a "filler song" when it is one of the best songs on the album. The production is impeccable... for me the best of the first three.

I think Sweet is a gorgeous song but the only problem I have with it, is its placement on the tracklist.

The first half is extremely deep and dense, and Sweet is just... there. It doesn't go heavy on the lyricism (even though Lana sings about wanting children) like the rest, so it falls flat (for me) But at the same time, I'm not sure it'd work in the second half... :eartha2:

My rose garden dreams set on fire by fiends... :illumilana2: 

14 minutes ago, mindofyouwithmeTHANKU1moretime said:

Why did I read this all in a mid-Atlantic accent:thumb3: There is a really crazy (major trigger warning) podcast about the black dahlia and the *incredibly* dark (seriously major trigger warning before listening) man who is suspected of killing her called Root of Evil. The suspect, George Hodel, was very into surrealism art and trying to impress his friend and surrealist artist, Man Ray.

OT: I hope we get a few more goodies this week like CN music video or an Insta Live:party:

Yes, I referred to George Hodel, he was the doctor I mentioned whose own child suspected him and his friends, including Man Ray, of the murder, but there's been several books in which children come forward with the shocking news that they believe their father was the BD murderer, and none of the books are taken very seriously. That's becoming a sub-genre of the Short industry--claiming that your father was the Black Dahlia murderer. 

In the book about G. Hodel, the photo that the daughter claims is Short, and puts forward as 'evidence' that her father knew and killed Short, clearly isn't Short. It's just a pale, slightly Asian-appearing woman with an oval face and her hair done up in what looks almost like a geisha style. 

21 minutes ago, Vertimus said:

As to why some may be mad about it, I've followed the case for years, read most of the books about the BD murder, and, from my online contacts, learned that there is a fairly massive number of people, mostly women, mostly feminists, who either identify with Short, or don't want to see her memory further sullied, or both. But you can read 15 books on the topic and get 15 completely different sets of 'facts' and interpretation of those 'facts' about Short, so at this point it's like reading about the Jack the Ripper murders: very few authors are objective, honest, and rely on the hard facts that are actually known.

Political, social, and subjective views flood the interpretations; some feminists perceive male authors and investigators as slandering Short when they feel she should be treated like a saint due to her victimhood, while some authors feel that the hard facts about Short's life have to be brought to light. But no one can decide on what the facts are, short of the autopsy report. 

hmm. yeah well then she could be in for some criticisms for sure depending in what direction the video goes but at least she is no stranger to that i guess.

Lana already has such a bad rap within feminist groups, sadly imo bc you can actually tell she cares a great deal for women thru her discog but people get hung up on her never taking up the label itself, so i don't see her getting cut any slack :/

it's not like we have a lot to go off yet- the video isn't out n we only have a short visualiser but surely if people insist on conclusions already, there are "kinder" ones that could be drawn from it too so far.  like i said, i instantly thought of the whole "Don't forget me" motif....  but i also understand the more pessimistic, outraged approach is much appreciated online :thumb:

IDK! i'm interested to see where it goes... its surely a sensitive subject, no doubt about it & CN is certainly eerie but i'd think Lana knows there are certain lines that shouldn't be crossed with her portrayal.... time will tell!  "with a where do we go from here ending" sounds promising

The reason some people are panning-is  because they were foaming at the mouth when hearing a backbeat and guitar on let the light in :oprah3:  Then they they became addicted to Candy necklace having good piano and realised the album could of had bigger potential. 

7 minutes ago, burthday kake said:

hmm. yeah well then she could be in for some criticisms for sure depending in what direction the video goes but at least she is no stranger to that i guess.

Lana already has such a bad rap within feminist groups, sadly imo bc you can actually tell she cares a great deal for women thru her discog but people get hung up on her never taking up the label itself, so i don't see her getting cut any slack :/

it's not like we have a lot to go off yet- the video isn't out n we only have a short visualiser but surely if people insist on conclusions already, there are "kinder" ones that could be drawn from it too so far.  like i said, i instantly thought of the whole "Don't forget me" motif....  but i also understand the more pessimistic, outraged approach is much appreciated online :thumb:

IDK! i'm interested to see where it goes... its surely a sensitive subject, no doubt about it & CN is certainly eerie but i'd think Lana knows there are certain lines that shouldn't be crossed with her portrayal.... time will tell!  "with a where do we go from here ending" sounds promising

Agreed. We have to wait and see what results. I'm a little surprised she selected CN to make a video for, out of all the OB songs. 

ok guys so idk if this is the right forum for this but i don't know what is so i'm just putting it here

i also don't know if this has been discussed here before, i tried searching and didn't find anything

ever since lana talked about going to Spain as a teenager in her bb release insta live i've been wondering about it because there's like nothing about it on lanapedia or anything and i never see people talking about it. so i just transcribed a convo she had with lanaisababe on the live, idk if lanaisababe has an account on here but if so hi queen

let me know yalls thoughts about this but like she really revealed a lot of info in this convo so here it is

(excuse any issues with my spanish i'm not a spanish speaker just someone who's learned just a little bit in school, sorry)

Starting at 44 minutes into the BB release day Instagram live:

lanaisababe: how did you learn spanish-- you went to... i think you went somewhere, right, to learn spanish?

lana: Yo puedo entender mejor que yo puedo hablar pero si yo fui a españa cuando... (i can understand better than i can speak but yes i went to spain when...)

lanaisababe: lo esto fue a españa... ( ... went to spain)

lana: *nods* españa... tuve quince años para cuatro meses (i had been 15 years old for four months) 

lanaisababe: quince-- oh conocer tenia quince años (you visited when you were 15?)

lana: si, despues de escuela. (yes, after school) *switches to english* because they didn't let me go home

lanaisababe: oh...

lana: y tuvo {i think she's saying tuvo where she should be saying tuve} un novio de *cuts out* (and i had a boyfriend from ... )

lanaisababe: Oh! Usted tenia un novio de españa? (oh you had a Spanish boyfriend?)

lana: no de... well de argentina (no, Argentinian)

lanaisababe: oh de argentina... pero... oh wow, ok, y usted aprendio {?} español ... (oh Argentinian, ok and you learned spanish...)

lana: un poco, un poco, it gave me inspiration it gave me inspiration... y tambien vivo en los angeles so... and en mi escuela yo tuvo una *clarifies with lanaisababe that maestra is female teacher* yeah i had a maestra she was so good. i know you guys are laughing at my spanglish but i donttt careee *whisper joking voice*

lanaisababae: no it’s really good! It’s really good. And you weren’t there for long, right? Like, Spain?

lana: mmm no… not really, but it was weird like… it was weird like as soon as i was 16 like i was like almost fluent, like i was there for maybe like four or five months, but i had a family there, and like i had a spanish sister, spanish mom, and all i remember them saying was like *spanish accent* “lizzy! Apaga la luz! Apaga la luz!”

lanaisababe: oh, turn off the light turn off the light–

Lana: because i would leave the house with like the radio playing, the lights on, like i had no concept of like burning energy and that was what i was famous for. They were so angry but like… yeah i remember everything. They had an American bar, no i think it was called… i think it was called “The American Bar” and i used to drink so much tequila because, i was like 16 and i could! And that was also like they had absinthe there

lanaisababe: they had what?

Lana: absinthe… *shakes head* you don’t need to know…

lanaisababe: i’m not sure if i know what that is but what was your favorite part about spain though?

lana: well first of all it was kind of confusing because i’d been sent to boarding school and i like wasn’t allowed to come home, so i went straight to spain to santender (idk if that’s right) en el norte… don’t mind my– don’t mind my *smiles* accent

lanaisababe: no, no it’s good

Lana: so it was amazing but like i definitely felt like very alone, i went with like a lot of other kids and luckily they were super nice but like i didn’t know any of them. I remember on the plane ride there they gave me a little cake that said sweet sixteen because i turned sixteen in the air… and i was like this is cool but it’s also like “am i ever gonna go home?” so yeah i remember that there were nude beaches in Santender and i was like not as cute as the other girls and i was like “i am never gonna do this, never” 

lanaisababe: oh no you’re cute! …oh my gosh that’s so funny

.~~* i never meant to hurt you baby, it's so hard to be good, in this world where you do what you know you shouldn't *~~.

4 minutes ago, cominguplavender said:

ok guys so idk if this is the right forum for this but i don't know what is so i'm just putting it here

i also don't know if this has been discussed here before, i tried searching and didn't find anything

ever since lana talked about going to Spain as a teenager in her bb release insta live i've been wondering about it because there's like nothing about it on lanapedia or anything and i never see people talking about it. so i just transcribed a convo she had with lanaisababe on the live, idk if lanaisababe has an account on here but if so hi queen

let me know yalls thoughts about this but like she really revealed a lot of info in this convo so here it is

(excuse any issues with my spanish i'm not a spanish speaker just someone who's learned just a little bit in school, sorry)

Starting at 44 minutes into the BB release day Instagram live:

lanaisababe: how did you learn spanish-- you went to... i think you went somewhere, right, to learn spanish?

lana: Yo puedo entender mejor que yo puedo hablar pero si yo fui a españa cuando... (i can understand better than i can speak but yes i went to spain when...)

lanaisababe: lo esto fue a españa... ( ... went to spain)

lana: *nods* españa... tuve quince años para cuatro meses (i had been 15 years old for four months) 

lanaisababe: quince-- oh conocer tenia quince años (you visited when you were 15?)

lana: si, despues de escuela. (yes, after school) *switches to english* because they didn't let me go home

lanaisababe: oh...

lana: y tuvo {i think she's saying tuvo where she should be saying tuve} un novio de *cuts out* (and i had a boyfriend from ... )

lanaisababe: Oh! Usted tenia un novio de españa? (oh you had a Spanish boyfriend?)

lana: no de... well de argentina (no, Argentinian)

lanaisababe: oh de argentina... pero... oh wow, ok, y usted aprendio {?} español ... (oh Argentinian, ok and you learned spanish...)

lana: un poco, un poco, it gave me inspiration it gave me inspiration... y tambien vivo en los angeles so... and en mi escuela yo tuvo una *clarifies with lanaisababe that maestra is female teacher* yeah i had a maestra she was so good. i know you guys are laughing at my spanglish but i donttt careee *whisper joking voice*

lanaisababae: no it’s really good! It’s really good. And you weren’t there for long, right? Like, Spain?

lana: mmm no… not really, but it was weird like… it was weird like as soon as i was 16 like i was like almost fluent, like i was there for maybe like four or five months, but i had a family there, and like i had a spanish sister, spanish mom, and all i remember them saying was like *spanish accent* “lizzy! Apaga la luz! Apaga la luz!”

lanaisababe: oh, turn off the light turn off the light–

Lana: because i would leave the house with like the radio playing, the lights on, like i had no concept of like burning energy and that was what i was famous for. They were so angry but like… yeah i remember everything. They had an American bar, no i think it was called… i think it was called “The American Bar” and i used to drink so much tequila because, i was like 16 and i could! And that was also like they had absinthe there

lanaisababe: they had what?

Lana: absinthe… *shakes head* you don’t need to know…

lanaisababe: i’m not sure if i know what that is but what was your favorite part about spain though?

lana: well first of all it was kind of confusing because i’d been sent to boarding school and i like wasn’t allowed to come home, so i went straight to spain to santender (idk if that’s right) en el norte… don’t mind my– don’t mind my *smiles* accent

lanaisababe: no, no it’s good

Lana: so it was amazing but like i definitely felt like very alone, i went with like a lot of other kids and luckily they were super nice but like i didn’t know any of them. I remember on the plane ride there they gave me a little cake that said sweet sixteen because i turned sixteen in the air… and i was like this is cool but it’s also like “am i ever gonna go home?” so yeah i remember that there were nude beaches in Santender and i was like not as cute as the other girls and i was like “i am never gonna do this, never” 

lanaisababe: oh no you’re cute! …oh my gosh that’s so funny

i'm confused because she says she was 15 and 4 months when she went but then says she turned sixteen on the way there lol?

.~~* i never meant to hurt you baby, it's so hard to be good, in this world where you do what you know you shouldn't *~~.

22 minutes ago, hotshot2am said:

@TrashMagiq can you try listening on the web version (music.apple.com) and check if you still have crackling issues? I just checked Kintsugi and Fingertips with different headphones and I think they fixed it, or maybe I'm not listening closely enough.

When I try playing anything on the web version of AM it says it's not available in my country :toofunny: but I just tried listening via iTunes and I don't hear any crackling! I do still hear it on my phone tho but I'm assuming it's still updating or w/e

qfrWuBl.png

1 minute ago, TrashMagiq said:

When I try playing anything on the web version of AM it says it's not available in my country :toofunny: but I just tried listening via iTunes and I don't hear any crackling! I do still hear it on my phone tho but I'm assuming it's still updating or w/e

You have to click on your location on the bottom of the page so that it redirects you but it seems they have solved it if you don't hear any crackling on iTunes.