Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,052 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

17 minutes ago, cominguplavender said:

ok guys so idk if this is the right forum for this but i don't know what is so i'm just putting it here

i also don't know if this has been discussed here before, i tried searching and didn't find anything

ever since lana talked about going to Spain as a teenager in her bb release insta live i've been wondering about it because there's like nothing about it on lanapedia or anything and i never see people talking about it. so i just transcribed a convo she had with lanaisababe on the live, idk if lanaisababe has an account on here but if so hi queen

let me know yalls thoughts about this but like she really revealed a lot of info in this convo so here it is

(excuse any issues with my spanish i'm not a spanish speaker just someone who's learned just a little bit in school, sorry)

Starting at 44 minutes into the BB release day Instagram live:

lanaisababe: how did you learn spanish-- you went to... i think you went somewhere, right, to learn spanish?

lana: Yo puedo entender mejor que yo puedo hablar pero si yo fui a españa cuando... (i can understand better than i can speak but yes i went to spain when...)

lanaisababe: lo esto fue a españa... ( ... went to spain)

lana: *nods* españa... tuve quince años para cuatro meses (i had been 15 years old for four months) 

lanaisababe: quince-- oh conocer tenia quince años (you visited when you were 15?)

lana: si, despues de escuela. (yes, after school) *switches to english* because they didn't let me go home

lanaisababe: oh...

lana: y tuvo {i think she's saying tuvo where she should be saying tuve} un novio de *cuts out* (and i had a boyfriend from ... )

lanaisababe: Oh! Usted tenia un novio de españa? (oh you had a Spanish boyfriend?)

lana: no de... well de argentina (no, Argentinian)

lanaisababe: oh de argentina... pero... oh wow, ok, y usted aprendio {?} español ... (oh Argentinian, ok and you learned spanish...)

lana: un poco, un poco, it gave me inspiration it gave me inspiration... y tambien vivo en los angeles so... and en mi escuela yo tuvo una *clarifies with lanaisababe that maestra is female teacher* yeah i had a maestra she was so good. i know you guys are laughing at my spanglish but i donttt careee *whisper joking voice*

lanaisababae: no it’s really good! It’s really good. And you weren’t there for long, right? Like, Spain?

lana: mmm no… not really, but it was weird like… it was weird like as soon as i was 16 like i was like almost fluent, like i was there for maybe like four or five months, but i had a family there, and like i had a spanish sister, spanish mom, and all i remember them saying was like *spanish accent* “lizzy! Apaga la luz! Apaga la luz!”

lanaisababe: oh, turn off the light turn off the light–

Lana: because i would leave the house with like the radio playing, the lights on, like i had no concept of like burning energy and that was what i was famous for. They were so angry but like… yeah i remember everything. They had an American bar, no i think it was called… i think it was called “The American Bar” and i used to drink so much tequila because, i was like 16 and i could! And that was also like they had absinthe there

lanaisababe: they had what?

Lana: absinthe… *shakes head* you don’t need to know…

lanaisababe: i’m not sure if i know what that is but what was your favorite part about spain though?

lana: well first of all it was kind of confusing because i’d been sent to boarding school and i like wasn’t allowed to come home, so i went straight to spain to santender (idk if that’s right) en el norte… don’t mind my– don’t mind my *smiles* accent

lanaisababe: no, no it’s good

Lana: so it was amazing but like i definitely felt like very alone, i went with like a lot of other kids and luckily they were super nice but like i didn’t know any of them. I remember on the plane ride there they gave me a little cake that said sweet sixteen because i turned sixteen in the air… and i was like this is cool but it’s also like “am i ever gonna go home?” so yeah i remember that there were nude beaches in Santender and i was like not as cute as the other girls and i was like “i am never gonna do this, never” 

lanaisababe: oh no you’re cute! …oh my gosh that’s so funny

Interesting because she was sent away from home due to her drinking. At what age did that happen, when she was 13? She started super early.

New review from LA Times. I don't know how much they rate the album but the review is really positive. Looking foward for a 9 or 10

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/music/story/2023-03-26/lana-del-rey-did-you-know-theres-a-tunnel-under-ocean-blvd-album-review

@WHORE OF TROPICO   ⇨   @SALVAWHORE             

Pokemon Eevee GIF - Pokemon Eevee Flower - Discover & Share GIFs                                   evee-dancing.gif

Bring Me That Horizon — ianime0: Pokemon XY | Eevee Dancing

51 minutes ago, CinnamonBoi said:

The way she kind of ruined every album with late additions. This album is still amazing but her censoring Mother and you can really hear Candy Necklece wasn't part of the album is Kind of bothering me.

i’m curious, do we know what the late additions were for each album? of course we know this one but what were the others? 

52 minutes ago, plastiscguy said:

I think Sweet is a gorgeous song but the only problem I have with it, is its placement on the tracklist.

The first half is extremely deep and dense, and Sweet is just... there. It doesn't go heavy on the lyricism (even though Lana sings about wanting children) like the rest, so it falls flat (for me) But at the same time, I'm not sure it'd work in the second half... :eartha2:

Sweet is the one song I think could've been scrapped tbh. I do like it but compared to the rest of the album it's a bit weak.

qfrWuBl.png

32 minutes ago, Lanaparadiserey said:

If Lana submits in the right categories she will 100% get a Grammy for this album. 

tbh it doesn’t really matter what categories she submits in, the grammys is notorious for moving submissions from category to category as they see fit (for example, last year they moved almost all of kacey musgraves submissions into a different category than they were submitted).

but as long as her label submits it in the first place (i’m sure they will), i think she’ll definitely get a nom 

i love the emotion in candy necklace. especially when she sounds kind of panicked when she says “i think that we should address this” like … fuck me up :trisha:

giphy-downsized.gif

if i wasn’t so fucked up, i think i’d fuck you all the time 

Candy Necklace is a copy and paste, by the numbers, low effort snooze fest. It sounds like a discarded demo from 2012, so it's not a surprise that the fans like it so much. But the fact that she went into the studio with Jon Batiste and came out with this is hilarious.

Just now, Jared said:

Candy Necklace is a copy and paste, by the numbers, low effort snooze fest. It sounds like a discarded demo from 2012, so it's not a surprise that the fans like it so much. But the fact that she went into the studio with Jon Batiste and came out with this is hilarious.

boy shut up :lmao:

giphy.gif

11 hours ago, CinnamonGay said:

Is she still close with Val?

Haven't seen her in a long time :oic2:

I think the last time Lana posted anything on Instagram with her was back in December when they were on the Mt. Baldy Ski Lifts lol but I imagine they're still friends :true:

3 minutes ago, Jared said:

I like the song quite a lot. It's true it resembles some earlier work though. It makes me think about Riverside in particular.

7 minutes ago, margaret soty said:

I like Fishtail, but it's like a demo... sorry. I think Lana could have done better with that song. 😭

i feel the same! there’s a lot of parts and lyrics that i really enjoy, but as a whole? idk 

feel like she should’ve took the best parts of it and reworked it