Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,059 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

3 hours ago, Honeyyoung said:

also i've grown to like sweet but i don't really think it makes sense on the album... it starts in the beginning of the tunnel as she's discovering her darkest fears, and it ends with her processing these problems and feeling carefree. i don't this sweet matches any of these parts

I think of sweet as the calm before the storm (a&w)  

2 minutes ago, The Stargirl Pinky said:

Yk I thought the same thing when I first heard it from the r0$3m34d l34k (naur it’s trew I listened Lanita I’m sorry :icant:) BUT tbh I’m grateful that it l34k3d when it did because I got to spend a lot of extra time listening to Sweet and Fingertips which at first felt very :derpna2: to me but I took a few drives into the wilderness taking my time around the highways’ twists and turns, reflecting on the music and soaking in my surroundings and both songs really clicked it was such a cathartic experience I feel like a lot of the songs on this record require us to be in the right headspace and settings to understand and enjoy them and I pray the same happens to you soon! Patrick-Praying.jpg

i mean i do like it, i just think it doesn't fit in the album's narrative (and it also could be improved with a more cohesive melody and structure and more disney-esque violins, i actually think it's less structured then fingertips believe it or not)

35 minutes ago, Honeyyoung said:

also i've grown to like sweet but i don't really think it makes sense on the album... it starts in the beginning of the tunnel as she's discovering her darkest fears, and it ends with her processing these problems and feeling carefree. i don't this sweet matches any of these parts

I think Sweet plays well into discovering her deepest fears because it describes what she wants in a relationship and how she sees herself. And then we move onto to A&W where a guy was treating her as a side piece, completely opposite of what she describes in Sweet. The Judah Smith interlude completes this idea. 

I don’t really wanna die, I just want the pain to be over

I really get major horror movie vibes from this album (and it's my favorite movie genre :creepna3:) ! Especially from the 2 interludes (the laughs in the Jon Batiste interlude literally sound like Dracula is laughing or something ) and from Candy Necklace ! It makes sense that the music video is inspired by the Black Dahlia case

lana-del-rey-painting.gif

2 hours ago, DLT said:

Am I crazy or wasn’t there several posts about Variety doing a ranking and placing COCC as #1?

I just ask cause the variety ranking I came across this morning was completely different. I wonder if they edited or if maybe another writer dropped a different ranking.  

they apparently messed it up and other than lust for life at the bottom, the rest of the list was backwards. 

24928f7b69cee0fe13500ed529054686.gif

Just now, Honeyyoung said:

i mean i do like it, i just think it doesn't fit in the album's narrative (and it also could be improved with a more cohesive melody and structure and more disney-esque violins, i actually think it's less structured then fingertips believe it or not)

Inch resting point! My first impression of the song was that it was too Disney/musical-esque (and I really dislike that kind of sound, I’m not really an animated movie/musical kind of guy lmao) and I honestly can’t explain how I grew to love Sweet since it fits into that description. It truly is love :trisha: How do you feel about Paris, Texas and Grandfather? I think they’re in that boat too and I’m struggling to really get into them. I don’t think they’re skips by any means but I can sense a roadblock preventing me from really soaking them up :eartha2:

When I listen to Sweet and Fingertips (this one gave me goosebumps) I can't help to think about musical movies like Sweeney Todd or Into The Woods. 

Love this album so so much !! Lana will always be my favorite artist ❤️

(

I will defend Sweet to the grave :oprah3:

I think it ties into the first two tracks socially very well. They are a great trio. Sweet is a sassy little track, and talks about her worries but also shows her as confident in who she is. Basically, “I’m a catch!”. I love the high vocal parts too. One of my favorites on the album. 

topsters2-2-1.png

It's a beautiful life, remember that too, for me.

exactly i actually see Ocean Blvd-Sweet-A&W as a very cohesive storyline, heck there are even ways one could include The Grants in this, but we'll leave it out for now

but like Ocean Blvd is about opening yourself up to someone new, being vulnerable, sharing your deepest fears/secrets n hoping they'll accept and love you anyway- very much beginning of a relationship vibes... then Sweet comes, we find out they broke up at the beginning of it, but we also get to see into what the relationship was like to her at the peak when she thought they were gonna be end-game & was dreaming of the future...... n then there is A&W which is straight up the heartbreak, the downfall- she found out this man she loved was actually cheating on/with her

from "open me up, tell me you like me, fuck me to death, love me until i love myself" to "do you want children? do you wanna marry me?" to  "it's not about having someone to love me anymore, this is the experience of being an american whore"

it's so genius tbh.. side a is a full 10/10 for me... and on Sweet specifically: it just sounds so classic, so timeless. like that melody could've been ripped from the great american songbook istg :krylie:

Updated rankings:

1. A&W
2. Paris, Texas
3. Fishtail
4. Peppers 
5. Candy Necklace
6. Taco Truck (alone)
7. Taco Truck x VB
8. Jon Batiste Interlude

9. Grandfather
10. Sweet
11. Kintsugi
12. The Grants
13. Ocean Blvd
14. Let The Light In

15. Margaret
16. Judah Smith Interlude
17. Fingertips

I tried so many times to get into Fingertips, but it’s just not possible. I’d rather listen to the pastor interlude which is way more pleasant imo :true:.

11 minutes ago, marcodelrey said:

I'm being delulu as always, but what if...IlZMV4.Screenshot-2023-03-26-19-02-21-13

Also not each bonus track being an average of 9.5 minutes long. “Say Yes To Heaven (Lana’s Version) [10 Minute Version] (From The Vault)”

Screenshot-2024-04-17-at-6-31-05-PM.png

who's afraid of little old me?