Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,059 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

Just now, MrFameKills said:

Yawn at the Black Dahlia thing, like get a grip 

What are they mad about? Glamorizing a murder (hello, there's an entire genre of film devoted to that)? It's been almost 100 years. 

Screenshot-2024-04-17-at-6-31-05-PM.png

who's afraid of little old me?

10 minutes ago, brandon said:

? you can’t really say a song is Objectively good or bad

art is subjective lol. everyone has different opinions on it, there’s no right answer

Exactly. There's no such thing. Everyone's taste is a fact in itself--it's a fact that we all have opinions that we call our 'taste,' there's no such thing as an objectively good movie, song, album, artist, painting, piece of architecture, decor, etc. 

Tbh, any backlash she gets for using Black Dahlia should just stop before it ages as poorly as nearly all of her controversies do. 

The album was very frankly about the feminine body in many moments. I'm surprised people can praise A&W without realizing how integral that is to that song, and how that song kinda exists as the thesis to the record as a whole thematically (and even in how it is produced.)

I love how Brian De Palma/American Horror Story can basically make an entire movie/season of TV about the murder, but the second a woman decides to do her own perspective of the way it affected pop culture and American anxieties, it's suddenly so controversial for reasons that the men who approach it never face. 

Edit: I'm also not surprised that murder is going to be part of the music video for Candy Necklace. The song itself really reminded me of songs on Nick Cave's Murder Ballads album. And it's genius that she released the 'screen test', considering that's mainly how Elizabeth Short is presented in the Brian De Palma film. 

1 minute ago, Mer said:

What are they mad about? Glamorizing a murder (hello, there's an entire genre of film devoted to that)? It's been almost 100 years. 

That is how I feel. It is exactly what they do in movies and I’m sure Lana will be 10x more respectful about it than a movie, so I don’t really see an issue 

Financial Times rated it 4/5. I don’t think it counts for metacritic but it was good

Hollywood’s dream factory recurs in the album, which ends with a recitation of the critic Pauline Kael’s pithy summary of movie glamour, “Kiss kiss bang bang”. In cinematic terms, the record casts Lana as a 1970s auteur. At 78 minutes, it is long and sometimes baffling. It is also technically very well made and beautifully performed. Some songs drift by in a reverie, gravely soundtracked by guitar and piano. Others twist into unpredictable shapes with surprising orchestrations and electronic beats. If her brand of mystique has sometimes seemed too knowing, then here it strikes an authentic note. The album follows its own entrancing logic, like dreams themselves, those enigmatic communiqués from our unconscious — the tunnel under the Ocean Blvd of our real and fantasy lives.

4 minutes ago, Mer said:

70+ years. Like I said earlier, there is, and has been for decades, Elizabeth Short 'stans' to fiercely protect her memory across the internet. There's an army of them and they're angry and partisan. They don't care for the facts any more than any other person or group. So Lana may come in for some emotional violence in the days or weeks ahead. 

ALSO, in 'A&W,' Lana wrote how if she were raped, she would be blamed for it, it would have "been her fault," so that should show the Shorties that Lana's perspective is very likely not that Elizabeth Short brought her own doom down upon her head by her behavior. 

The murder has become a part of American history and lore, and belongs to everyone and no one. 

3 minutes ago, Mer said:

It's just cancel culture being the parasites that they are.. again

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

Enough time has passed so 

I hate the vb trap outro 

Taco Truck melody is good enough why didn’t they just write a second verse? It kinda kills my whole mood hearing the same aahhh I heard for the last for years and seemingly with no connection to the song? Kinda wished for an amazing ending to an amazing album just like it had an amazing opening. 

19 minutes ago, summer bummer said:

i’ve been so out of touch with everything recently i didn’t even see lana’s reply 😭

Didnt know the story behind the reference and... Not the most sensitive approach to it (just judging by Lana's response and the "meta Black Dahlia" thing), definetly. Let's see how the thing ends up developing though.

1 minute ago, Umaniac said:

Enough time has passed so 

I hate the vb trap outro 

Taco Truck melody is good enough why didn’t they just write a second verse? It kinda kills my whole mood hearing the same aahhh I heard for the last for years and seemingly with no connection to the song? Kinda wished for an amazing ending to an amazing album just like it had an amazing opening. 

I accept it as it is, but would much prefer that the VB part only came after, if at all, the a second or third verse. Right when it really starts to heat up, it turns into a version of VB. 

5 minutes ago, Vertimus said:

70+ years. Like I said earlier, there is, and has been for decades, Elizabeth Short 'stans' to fiercely protect her memory across the internet. There's an army of them and they're angry and partisan. They don't care for the facts any more than any other person or group. So Lana may come in for some emotional violence in the days or weeks ahead. 

ALSO, in 'A&W,' Lana wrote how if she were raped, she would be blamed for it, it would have "been her fault," so that should show the Shorties that Lana's perspective is very likely not that Elizabeth Short brought her own doom down upon her head by her behavior. 

The murder has become a part of American history and lore, and belongs to everyone and no one. 

stans? this is wild y'all :air: idk 'stanning' a murder victim feels more disrespectful (and chronically online) than referencing it in a MV

Capture.jpg

Just now, past the bushes said:

stans? this is wild y'all :air: idk 'stanning' a murder victim feels more disrespectful than referencing it in a MV

Well, they do Stan her. Most are hardline feminists, and some are maniacal about her; they enshrine her, they fall just short of worshipping her. They see her as a potent, all-powerful symbol of the mistreatment and systemic abuse of women in the 20th century. 

i think it’s insane and hilarious people are already criticising lana for the black dahlia comment when the mv isn’t even out yet.  like if you’re gonna judge, how about you actually wait for the music video and see what there is to judge? ‘cause imagine she puts it out and the only black dahlia reference is the flower in her hair :rollin:

3 minutes ago, drugsdesire said:

‘cause imagine she puts it out and the only black dahlia reference is the flower in her hair :rollin:

Yeah I kinda don’t see Lana getting disemboweled on set 💀💀