Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,052 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

7 minutes ago, Surf Noir said:

i can't understand what was going through that reviewer's mind when they listened to candy necklace and thought "hmm, yep, this is a glitch-pop song!"

Most reviewers don’t even notice the surf rock section in peppers. Y’all think they have that kind of musical knowledge?:deadbanana: I read a review saying “Peppers has a weird chorus.”:rip:

1 minute ago, TrashMagiq said:

The way A&W is 6 minutes long... it feels like a sensible 3 and a half when listening

:true:

If I get a little prettier can I be your baby?

Beskrivning saknas.

I believe in Flipside/Is This Happiness?/Your Girl supremacy

Lana Del Rey Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd CD – Titan  Records

Review: Lana Del Rey - Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd

The singer's tumultuous ninth LP finds her at "the very heart of things"

Lana Del Rey has proven to be one of the most prolific singer-songwriters in the modern era - in the last four years, over 60 songs and poems were officially released. Her parents, siblings, friends and community of artists became prominent figures in her lyrics, although none of them take the place of the main character: that's Del Rey herself. She once described her current music as "her innermost thoughts", and even if Chemtrails Over the Country Clubs and Blue Banisters were intimate enough, Ocean Blvd goes beyond.

Spoiler

The Grants

Family, death, spiritual connection, loneliness and personal reparations -- it really sets the tone for the rest of the record. I love this song not only as an opener but also an individual piece. Her voice sounds crisp and delicate, the choir singers take it to a higher realm, the composition is heavenly dramatic and it's just overall so soothing. Highlight: the synths during the second chorus and the "My pastor told me..." melody.

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd

This is undoubtedly one of Lana's best songs ever. The lyrics are just immaculate, the instrumentation is rich and cinematic, it has such an incredible climax with the choir girls, her voice is emotional and velvety and, I'll say it again, the interpolation of "Don't Forget Me" has to be her most epic reference of all time. It'll be very hard to top this one. Highlight: everything, but if I have to choose... the lyrics.

Sweet

I absolutely adore this song. The lyrics are sincere and conversational and I love the "some basic bitch" line, and it makes me crazy when she goes a bit nihilistic with "I've got things to do, like nothing at all", it reminds me of "I miss doing nothing the most of all" from The greatest which, to me, is one of her best lines ever. Highlight: "Do you want children? Do you wanna marry me?" The entire bridge and final chorus are some of the top moments on the album for me.

A&W

One of her most haunting compositions ever. The way Jack and her turned this psych-folk number into a horrorcore trap bop is brilliant, an even more brilliant is that transition. It sounds like her mind is stretching and distorted and then she goes all wild. Also the lyrics are so shocking, full of strong statements and confessions. It's equally angsty, depressing and careless. One of Lana's most adventurous tracks. Highlight: the intro, it sounds so psychological, like the intro of some really weird TV series from the 80s or something. Also the strumming during "...sidepiece at 33...".

Judah Smith Interlude

As some of you guys know, I didn't listen to any of the leaks, but I did read some of your reactions and descriptions. When I saw most people were so negative towards this track I thought it was an exaggeration and was eager to listen and judge by myself. Well, I think I will never ever play this song again. The quality is horrible, the jokes are cringey and the instrumental is not that good... I understand the message, but whatever she wanted to say with this one, she already did better with other songs. Whether it's an important moment on the album or an instant skip, that's up to the listener, but if I had to choose, I would've left only the last part of the preach and leave it as a 40 sec interlude. Highlight: none.

Candy Necklace

Continuing with the horror-like section of the album, Candy Necklace definitely shines with Jon Batiste's incredible, spooky piano playing and Lana's haunting melodies and vocals. I'm not a big fan of the lyrics, I've got to admit. Not my favorite on the album, but still a great song, and the chorus is surprisingly very catchy. Highlight: when the piano goes all freaky.

Jon Batiste Interlude

I remember reading some people comparing this to Pink Floyd's The Great Gig In the Sky and I can see why but this interlude, to me, it's just as unnecessary as the previous one. The repeated words get annoying and I hate that it's so so loud. Sure, the waves of sounds are cool and psychedelic, and it works nicely as an extended Candy Necklace outro, but yeah. Highlight: how trippy it gets.

Kintsugi

The horror section of the album is gone and we enter stripped-down territory. With its quiet yet evocative piano and country-like melody, the lyrics of this song are a beautiful celebration of having family as emotional support. It's very sincere of Lana to let us know how important her family is for her. Highlight: "Donoghue..."

Fingertips

Her most revealing song ever and also the emotional centerpiece of the album... A thread of depressing confessions, revelations and reflections on many forms of death, it's even way too much to take. I don't think I've ever cried so hard with a Lana song on first listen. The mournful lullaby melody and those waves of gentle string, and also the rhythmless composition hit really deep for me. I am so thankful she released something like this. Also she says my name twice lol. Highlight: The "Find your astral body" part and also her voice during the "Have a baby at sixteen" part. Wow.

Paris, Texas

For some reason I wasn't as excited for this one, but I'm surprised. Lyrics become way less heavy and important now, letting that melody shine. This is one of the most gorgeous vocal momoments on the entire LP. I love the medieval vibes... I certainly wish the lyrics were richer but it's nice having this one setting a lighter tone for what's to come. Highlight: "Down in Florence, Alabama".

Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he’s deep-sea fishing

Heartwarming melody, epic build-up, great vocal production, love the sax. The lyrics are rather confusing, or at least the message. I wish the outro wasn't the same as the intro. Highlight: production.

Let the Light In

Not my favorite song, but it's such a beautiful collaboration and the chorus gets stuck in my head. I don't think it has any purpose on the narrative of the album, but rather an opportunity to finally have FJM on an album of hers. Highlight: the chorus.

Margaret

Wow, this song exceded all my expectations! I love it, it's such a great wedding song, very dynamic and showcases Lana and Jack as collaborators and friends. I'm so happy this song exists. Highlight: "By the way, the party's December 18!"

Fishtail

Not much to say, more of a mood song. The lyrics are weak af. Highlight: the melody?

Peppers

Serving Born to Die demo! With the lyrics, melodies and that surf vibe. Such a cool song. Yes, the Tommy part sounds muffled, they could've fixed that, but it's not that bad. Also "...we've been kissing, so whatever he has, I have" is such a good (and dark) lyric. Highlight: the whole "Wipeout!" part.

Taco Truck x VB

My most anticipated track, as Venice Bitch is one of my top 3 Lana songs. It's really good, but it should've been more epic. Can't wait to hear it live! Highlight: "Lanita".

the way every song has grown on me since friday except LTLI and Margaret. I guess that mean that by tomorrow I'll finally be able to stan those two as well :true:

Beskrivning saknas.

10 minutes ago, TrashMagiq said:

If only her label let her do digital drops. I feel like she would've done that with this album if she was able to drop it the moment it was finished without vinyl production being a factor.

i mean she can still do the vinyl thing, just start the pre-release without any singles and promote it differently, maybe with an album trailer or something

On 3/26/2023 at 4:58 PM, Xenoblade 2 said:

Most reviewers don’t even notice the surf rock section in peppers. Y’all think they have that kind of musical knowledge?:deadbanana: I read a review saying “Peppers has a weird chorus.”:rip:

I hope they are picking up on her references. That’s one of the best parts of her music, and always has been. She’s genius at it. 

And the surf rock part of Peppers is one of my favorite parts of the album. I think I’m addicted to how she says “Wipeout!” in the background.

1 minute ago, Honeyyoung said:

her best second day omg did somebody say.. slay?

half of those streams are from me actually. yup. I really hope the neighbours have been and are enjoying it :godlaugh:

Beskrivning saknas.

I feel like Sweet, Candy Necklace, and Kintsugi are like the trio of songs on the album set within her relationship with Jack Donoghue

.~~* i never meant to hurt you baby, it's so hard to be good, in this world where you do what you know you shouldn't *~~.

8 minutes ago, hotshot2am said:

Why was everyone disappointed with the second day streams? 12 million streams doesn't seem too bad to me.

Yes, it performed relatively well. Still made more on its second day than COCC, BB and LFL on their first day (also surpassed NFR’s second day streams). Hopefully it won’t drop below 10 million on Sunday. 

three white butterflies

Spoiler

to know

Spoiler

urrr

Spoiler

neeaarrrr

Spoiler

:icant:

𝓘'𝓶 𝓸𝓫𝓼𝓮𝓼𝓼𝓮𝓭 𝔀𝓲𝓽𝓱 𝓽𝓱𝓲𝓼

𝓒𝓪𝓷𝓭𝔂 𝓝𝓮𝓬𝓴𝓵𝓪𝓬𝓮𝓼

lv-0-20230326000515.gif

6 minutes ago, cominguplavender said:

I feel like Sweet, Candy Necklace, and Kintsugi are like the trio of songs on the album set within her relationship with Jack Donoghue

Sweet seems more Sean than Jack to me. Especially the “If you want some basic bitch, go to the Beverly Center and find her” line. I agree with CN and Kintsugi though.