Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,052 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

3 minutes ago, DZKSLEFTNUT said:

What’s interesting about Fingertips though is that it’s one of the more viewed songs on Genius of the album. Goes to show at least the people streaming it are streaming it for the right reasons and that is the lyrics

We streamed it for the right reasons

I feel like Lana's weakest producer is drew Erickson, I don't want him to be involved in the next record, I loved what he did on this one tho.

Next album being produced by Mike Dean, Jack Antonoff and... Who else would you add and why? 

Lana Del Rey Gods And Monsters GIF - Lana Del Rey Gods And Monsters -  Discover & Share GIFsin medias res: Gods and Monsters, Lana Del Rey

6 minutes ago, Selfloathinpoet said:

A&W feels so carefully crafted, that song is insane! 

I hope she experiments more with her next record and I hope she works with new producers, Drew Erickson is her weakest producer imo, next album produced by Mike Dean and Jack, idk who else would you suggest?

Definitely Batiste, Dawes and Waterhouse along with Antonoff and Dean. Erickson is fine, and his production on Ocean Blvd is very strong - and miles better than his work on Blue Banisters -, but I don’t think that he has much more to offer unless Lana decides to make a FJM/Angel Olsen-esque record. 

I am obsessed with the instrumentals of the two interludes btw. Jack - and Jon on the second interlude - really snapped; very intricate and unsettling stuff. 

Manifesting the next album to be produced by Mike Hermosa, Zach Dawes, Nick Waterhouse and also Rick Nowels.

It's time to part ways with Jack Antonoff, thank you for NFR, Chemtrails and A&W, but yeah we've heard the range. 

I'm ambivalent about the piano in her music, I think it can work and it did work very well on Candy Necklace, the vibe in this song is impeccable. I want more or that sound & the theatrics.

1 minute ago, West Coast said:

Manifesting the next album to be produced by Mike Hermosa, Zach Dawes, Rick Waterhouse and maybe Rick Nowels.

It's time to part ways with Jack Antonoff, thank you for NFR, Chemtrails and A&W, but yeah we've heard the range. 

I'm ambivalent about the piano in her music, I think it can work and it did work very well on Candy Necklace, the vibe in this song is impeccable. I want more or that sound & the theatrics.

4 minutes ago, Jeanne Dielman said:

Definitely Batiste, Dawes and Waterhouse along with Antonoff and Dean. Erickson is fine, and his production on Ocean Blvd is very strong - and miles better than his work on Blue Banisters -, but I don’t think that he has much more to offer unless Lana decides to make a FJM/Angel Olsen-esque record. 

I am obsessed with the instrumentals of the two interludes btw. Jack - and Jon on the second interlude - really snapped; very intricate and unsettling stuff. 

Genuinely asking, who's him? It's the first time I hear about him. I have no idea how his production style is like.:cuteface:

Lana Del Rey Gods And Monsters GIF - Lana Del Rey Gods And Monsters -  Discover & Share GIFsin medias res: Gods and Monsters, Lana Del Rey

1 minute ago, Selfloathinpoet said:

Genuinely asking, who's him? It's the first time I hear about him. I have no idea how his production style is like.:cuteface:

I did not who Nick Waterhouse was prior to this album coming out, but he co-produced Candy Necklace and that's all I need to know.

10 minutes ago, Selfloathinpoet said:

I feel like Lana's weakest producer is drew Erickson, I don't want him to be involved in the next record, I loved what he did on this one tho.

Next album being produced by Mike Dean, Jack Antonoff and... Who else would you add and why? 

Didn't mike dean say they produced a whole bunch of songs together? 

9 minutes ago, Selfloathinpoet said:

What does "weakest" mean? I don't think anyone can arrange strings like he can. So if Lana wants to go in a "classical" direction, he's the best for it.

Just now, missamericatrash said:

Didn't mike dean say they produced a whole bunch of songs together? 

That's something I've been wondering for so long, I might be wrong but I guess he once said he was gonna be Lana's next album producer after Blue Banisters if I'm not mistaken and he seemed pretty excited about it! I loved the fact that he interacted with us so much lol 

3 minutes ago, Harry Nilsson said:

What does "weakest" mean? I don't think anyone can arrange strings like he can. So if Lana wants to go in a "classical" direction, he's the best for it.

It's not that he's a bad producer, it's just that the way I perceive things I think he's the one who has contributed the least (without wanting to discredit his work, of course) but yes, with the strings he stands out a lot.

9 minutes ago, Selfloathinpoet said:

He co-produced Candy Necklace with Zach Dawes. He also produced Jon Batiste’s album (and won a Grammy for it). Apparently Dawes, Waterhouse and Batiste are very close friends and Lana was obviously very excited about working with all of them. I am pretty certain that they will contribute to the sound of LDRX (they might have already recorded several songs together given how last-minute and impromptu the addition of Candy Necklace was to the album). 

@Harry Nilsson Yes, Erickson is great at arranging strings etc. so if Lana wants to make a classical string-heavy album, then, yeah, he’ll be a fine pick. His work on the latest Father John Misty and Angel Olsen projects is impeccable. 

18 minutes ago, Selfloathinpoet said:

Here’s the thing. Drew is objectively a very skilled producer and makes beautiful, rich music. But my issue is that it is almost so rich and thick in tone (specifically middle-low end) that things like drums have no space in the mix. Lana’s voice is front and center which I do enjoy but it’s so rich and intimate that the music loses some oomph. I would prefer she step away from him as well. 

Personally, I prefer her music when the mix allows for more room to breathe. I like when her voice sounds “cool” in tone, like on UV and the instrumentals have a mix of cool and warm. With Drew it’s warm overload. Rick and Dan still are my favs, at this point Jack is getting a bit stale for me. I don’t like the trap-lite stuff and his mellow guitar and strings combo is getting overdone in her catalogue. 

I agree with others that more work with Dawes and Baptiste would be a welcome change. I can’t help but pray for a Dan return though :diva: 

6 minutes ago, Selfloathinpoet said:

That's something I've been wondering for so long, I might be wrong but I guess he once said he was gonna be Lana's next album producer after Blue Banisters if I'm not mistaken and he seemed pretty excited about it! I loved the fact that he interacted with us so much lol 

I think he talked more about a probability and he said he doesn’t want to jinx it.

Then, after WFWF released, everybody spammed him about “fixing” the ending of the song ( I know it’s so embarrassing). He saw these tweets, interacted with some, got annoyed. I wonder what happened after that.

LASSO

lasso.gif

SEPTEMBER 2024

1 minute ago, Let the Light In said:

I think he talked more about a probability and he said he doesn’t want to jinx it.

Then, after WFWF released, everybody spammed him about “fixing” the ending of the song ( I know it’s so embarrassing). He saw these tweets, interacted with some, got annoyed. I wonder what happened after that.

I still have no idea what anybody’s problem with that song was :rip: those drums were the best part, it was such an interesting mix of textures going on. Very noir and 90s sounding. 

23 minutes ago, Selfloathinpoet said:

Tbh Rick Nowels because she is doing trap stuff again and that is what Rick does best

Fantano enjoyed all the tracks he reacted to in his live stream: Candy Necklace, Grandfather, Let the Light In and Fingertips. He was particularly impressed with LTLI.

Looking forward to his review (and dreading the reaction to last three songs).