Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,052 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

1 hour ago, The Stargirl Pinky said:

Do you recommend a specific vinyl player? I’m thinking about stopping by my local record store and buying one too :trisha:

My thoughts.....Audio-Technica AT-LP60X (approx. $150) is the lowest i'd go if hoping to spend as little as possible. It's going to be more kind to your vinyl than a Crosley (or similar) could be. It's a good starter turntable.

If you can spend around $300 though, that's where you can start getting excited about the sound and there's some good options for that price....The Audio-Technica AT-LP120X ($350) is very popular, as is the U-Turn Orbit (The "basic" starts at around $200, but if you go with the Orbit "Plus" (starting at $300) you can customize it and upgrade features until it costs you up to around $500). 

I really like the Fluance brand of turntables and I have their RT82 model. One cool thing about the Fluance turntables is that if you start with at least their RT82 model ($300) you can upgrade after purchasing (if it's something you later decide you want to put more money into to improve the overall sound) or you can just start with their higher end models like the RT85 (for $500). For a little less, Fluance also offers the cheaper RT80 ($200) and RT81 ($250) that cannot be upgraded later, but they do include a built in pre-amp so that you don't have to purchase one separately.

So anyways, i'd take a look through what Audio-Technica, U-Turn Orbit and Fluance offer and see what you like (U-Turn in particular offers several different colors and Fluance offers a few).

I'll shut up now.

So, judging from the number of views on her Youtube channel (not that it means anything, just making some assumptions [also not counting the singles])

• The 2 shortest songs are between the top5 most streamed ones (candy necklace, sweet, paris texas, peppers and margaret)
  • I am gagged by the amount of views of the pastor interlude :hide: I personally haven't listened to it bc I'm not into unsettling stuff lol
  • Grandfather being the least streamed (on youtube), only losing to jon batiste interlude, also has me gagged. Maybe the title is too long? idk
  • She really picked the right single bc everybody is loving candy necklace, that makes me happy
  • Has Peppers gone viral yet? :crossed:

1 hour ago, missamericatrash said:

Audio Technica!! They aren't cute like ones at Urban Outfitters, but in my opinion they are the best quality. Also any of their headphones 

1 hour ago, sadness is a butterfly said:

AudioTechnica LP60 is about the lowest priced one that’s good. As long as it’s not a suitcase player! I started with an LP60 and then bought a preowned Orbit UTurn.

The LP60 has a built in preamp so you can just plug it right into powered speakers for the easiest configuration.  

3 minutes ago, Morningcrow said:

My thoughts.....Audio-Technica AT-LP60X (approx. $150) is the lowest i'd go if hoping to spend as little as possible. It's going to be more kind to your vinyl than a Crosley (or similar) could be. It's a good starter turntable.

If you can spend around $300 though, that's where you can start getting excited about the sound and there's some good options for that price....The Audio-Technica AT-LP120X ($350) is very popular, as is the U-Turn Orbit (The "basic" starts at around $200, but if you go with the Orbit "Plus" (starting at $300) you can customize it and upgrade features until it costs you up to around $500). 

I really like the Fluance brand of turntables and I have their RT82 model. One cool thing about the Fluance turntables is that if you start with at least their RT82 model you can upgrade after purchasing (if it's something you later decide you want to put more money into to improve the overall sound) or you can just start with their higher end models like the RT85 (for $500). For a little less, Fluance also offers the cheaper RT80 ($200) and RT81 ($250) that cannot be upgraded later, but they do include a built in pre-amp so that you don't have to purchase one separately.

So anyways, i'd take a look through what Audio-Technica, U-Turn Orbit and Fluance offer and see what you like (U-Turn in particular offers several different colors and Fluance offers a few).

I'll shut up now.

Thanks besties!! I’ll probably treat myself to a nicer end one in the coming days, I think it’ll be worth the investment in a higher quality product :heart:

1 hour ago, Selfloathinpoet said:

I feel like Lana's weakest producer is drew Erickson, I don't want him to be involved in the next record, I loved what he did on this one tho.

Next album being produced by Mike Dean, Jack Antonoff and... Who else would you add and why? 

whoever added/or left the crackling in Fingertips and Grandfather can be discarded :derpna:

(however, those songs are still two of my favourite) 

Just now, hotshot2am said:

That was a new mastering engineer that didn't work with Lana before :bebe: At least they fixed it now on streaming.

Omg its fixed? I heard the crackling on Spotify  but let me go check this out...

7 minutes ago, Churchome Rep said:

I read that the Rhode Island mausoleum Lana references in Fingertips is real and is in disrepair/abandoned, similar to the tunnel under Ocean Blvd. But I can also see the mausoleum being a private family thing

Much to analyze about that connection

i'm not sure why it says that on genius since there's not really evidence she's talking about that specific mausoleum :toofunny: it's an interesting thought but if you google "rhode island mausoleum" it's the just first result to come up

mausoleums are often the burial place of an entire family / group of family members, so i just interpret the lyric as contemplating familial deaths

sUcVobB.png

I'm not sure if i like the grants very much, she repeats the same line and melody too often and gets annoying

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

1 hour ago, Selfloathinpoet said:

I feel like Lana's weakest producer is drew Erickson, I don't want him to be involved in the next record, I loved what he did on this one tho.

Next album being produced by Mike Dean, Jack Antonoff and... Who else would you add and why? 

William Orbit :pray2::pray2::pray2: trip hop trance orchestral masterpiece when?

let the light in is my new obsession hello

:party:

A red rose grew up out of ice frozen ground. With no one around to tweet it, While I bathe in cliffside pools.With my calamitous love and insurmountable grief.:hooker:

i hope lana and jon batiste keep working together, candy necklace is most definitely a new all-time favorite of mine, i hope the next album sounds like that, haunting, meditative, sardonic, harrowing, introspective, abstract, yet bright

WGe8ynS.gif