Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,059 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

There is such catharsis in having VB at the end of the record. Like slipping into an end credits layer of reality, a mindless haze after the hero’s arc of the rest of the album. It feels like an altered state, which the album plays with a lot - at the end of A&W and peppers with the sort of drugged up transitions, Candy necklaces as the bad trip, both interludes. And that notion of the altered state hits harder when you consider the last words spoken in the transition from Taco Truck to VB are Lana trying and failing to recount a dream… and then she just gives way to it. It’s either an ultimate escape or something more sinister (the same way the second half of A&W could be)

FmgKWb8.gif?1     HNqlJGD.gif

7 minutes ago, Let the Light In said:

Only if it's Ray of Light William Orbit, not MDNA one.

his tracks on MDNA were good tho, he saved that trainwreck of a record :true: 

this one for instance is a song i could see lana doing

I had the most beautiful weekend with this album. Two of my closest friends who have moved away were both in town and Friday night I listened fully with one of them, and then Saturday all 3 of us listened together and they were both so deeply floored. It sparked so many interesting conversations about life and death and family and everything in between and I am so grateful for those 2 listening experiences :trisha:

26 minutes ago, honeybadger said:

i'm not sure why it says that on genius since there's not really evidence she's talking about that specific mausoleum :toofunny: it's an interesting thought but if you google "rhode island mausoleum" it's the just first result to come up

mausoleums are often the burial place of an entire family / group of family members, so i just interpret the lyric as contemplating familial deaths

yeah she wouldn’t put her family in an abandoned mausoleum. i think it’s really interesting that Rhode Island came up as a place as we’ve always known her as a California girl who’s run away from New York. 

47 minutes ago, Morningcrow said:

My thoughts.....Audio-Technica AT-LP60X (approx. $150) is the lowest i'd go if hoping to spend as little as possible. It's going to be more kind to your vinyl than a Crosley (or similar) could be. It's a good starter turntable.

If you can spend around $300 though, that's where you can start getting excited about the sound and there's some good options for that price....The Audio-Technica AT-LP120X ($350) is very popular, as is the U-Turn Orbit (The "basic" starts at around $200, but if you go with the Orbit "Plus" (starting at $300) you can customize it and upgrade features until it costs you up to around $500). 

I really like the Fluance brand of turntables and I have their RT82 model. One cool thing about the Fluance turntables is that if you start with at least their RT82 model ($300) you can upgrade after purchasing (if it's something you later decide you want to put more money into to improve the overall sound) or you can just start with their higher end models like the RT85 (for $500). For a little less, Fluance also offers the cheaper RT80 ($200) and RT81 ($250) that cannot be upgraded later, but they do include a built in pre-amp so that you don't have to purchase one separately.

So anyways, i'd take a look through what Audio-Technica, U-Turn Orbit and Fluance offer and see what you like (U-Turn in particular offers several different colors and Fluance offers a few).

I'll shut up now.

Hi, I have an audio technica but can’t use it due to needing a receiver and speakers. Do you know of any good ones? Right now I’m listening to stuff on my victrola but it doesn’t sound that good because the speakers are built in. 

d4yQCBo.jpg
The Log Lady [to Laura]: “When this kind of fire starts, it is 
very hard to put out. The tender boughs of innocence burn first, and the wind rises, and then all goodness is in jeopardy.”