Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,052 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

candy necklace has been stuck in my head ALL FUCKING DAY

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

1 hour ago, TerrenceOnKilos said:

it's an album that has a lot of promotion (compared to other eras) 

Well, that really depends on the kind of promo you're talking about because so far, unlike the previous albums, there's been no radio or TV performance nor any MV (though there's one coming soon) 

1 hour ago, honeybadger said:

rich lee music video … listening parties … magazines and interviews … billboards/signs/posters irl … addition to streaming platform playlists … pop up shop … a festival tour …  :true: more than bb or chemtrails at least!

Two music videos per song + multiple talk show performances. First time Lana appeared on a late night show since 2012 :awkney:

i posted in the candy necklace lyrics thread bc it's been bothering me that she says that she's obsessed with his candy necklaces but the idea of a candy necklace is that it's full of sugar and eventually, the charms are all gone. also, think of jewelry. people buy promise rings to prove themselves being devoted to a person without getting engaged. that's essentially the idea of an engagement ring, too.

i 1000% believe the original title was empty promises and i can't get this idea out of my fucking HEAD SOMEONE HELP and i think it ties to sean for which reasons are posted in that thread but i need people to think about it a little more with the context of blue banisters title track and what she said on a&w

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

i started listening to this record with more intention/ less distractedly, and oh my god. BAWLING. I think, what this album tackles is kinda like a very unique perspective of a woman, that can translate to, many changes in life that one has little control over, to being hurt so much but still choosing to still keep the course and being a good natured person (despite the many things) and doing so in a way that the popular opinion might not understand and even hurl scorn for, but in a smart, classy and matter of factly kind of sense. she sings about family, themes of time, character, and identity. she comes out steadfastly, and shining.

like idk about ur guys' cycles of life etc. but this album sounds like the dreadful backstory of the sweetest person you've ever met, and in plainer language, the person that you sort of write off all the time's perspective. she sings of it quietly, and does it with care. and it's heartbreaking,  cus if you've ever been in a position of getting a lot of undeserved flack after doing your best to be a person w integrity/ good character, you can hear the wisdom, the healthily accepted not so cheery facts of life, and the silent faith and confidence that a more quiet, and less boisterous person has. 

in my own life, i think because people see me as sweet, and unassuming, they think i'm naive, or stupid bc of how happy and cheerful i can be, and for the most part, i am, I learned to allow myself that, but, very few people really know the amount of more, let's say negative things that i've gone through. i think they'd be surprised at how I can still keep smiling, and because of things i've gone thru, really emphasized the need to be a positive force. I won't scream it off the mountaintops cus that's my life, and I'm not gonna tell anyone, but this is online so I feel like it's ok to mention, it'll get lost in the thread, but I earned my happiness. and going thru harder times, I feel really appreciative of passing those tests of character. 

this album, resonates w me in that way, and I think, it's a beautifully hopeful record, of how dare I say, people trying to be good, can still be seen, if even silently trying, and having that confidence of being who you are, without having anyone having to applaud/ praise you for it/ give you benefits for it. it's like an answer from the kind of people you might deem forgettable, the chance and comfort to being understood, and that's extremely powerful in our world, cus societally, majority of people are too quick to judge and have even less time and focus to really try to understand something, let alone step outside of themselves to really make space to connect (unless it was a peer/ group etc.) 

I'm really happy for her. she's so real for this, and I love how we're celebrating it, if even just in fragments more thru music and sound. 

UV/Honeymoon

10 hours ago, CinnamonGay said:

She said she didnt want to promote BB because it was very personal and didn't want anyone to hear it..

What changed with OB? It's 1000000x more personal and confessional than BB.

She’s just be saying sh*te all the time. Like she recently said in an interview how BTD is full of pop bangers :lmao:. BTD demos were way more pop than the final album for example. Dark Paradise was literally an up tempo song. National Anthem was top 40 ready. Emile slowed a lot the songs down and made it way less pop. She also sang lower. Born To Die was not full of pop bangers. Don’t know what kind of pop music Lana has been listening to :rip:. Video Games being a hit shift the whole album to be down tempo. Born To Die is just very polished and has very high production value.

I think one the of the main reasons why BTD was so successful and accessible because most of the songs were written as uptempo pop songs originally but reworked to add an edge to it. That kind of juxtaposition is kinda of missing in Lana recent work tbh (well until this album esp with A&W). Just because the lyrics are personal/introspective doesn’t mean the song itself has to be acoustic and slow. Also uptempos can be sad songs too. 

Back on topic, BB and Chemtrails had a lot of promo. The music simply didn’t click.

3 minutes ago, love deluxe said:

paris, texas has been stuck in my head all day. when you know, you know…

SAMEEEEEE. I can't stop listening to it. It's so catchy. Her pen is just unmatched... :worship:

signature.gif

"Feels like sugar in me..."

5 minutes ago, Offtotheraces01 said:

I mean rich lee liked my comment hoping they’ve done more work together, but I agree that it’s very up in the air

1 minute ago, Offtotheraces01 said:

AJayII CHANGED HER HANDLE, hope she comes back and reacts to Lana😭

hopefully, for both

26 minutes ago, love deluxe said:

paris, texas has been stuck in my head all day. when you know, you know…

i listened to that one like, 6 times today. idk how many but it was a lot

giphy.gif