Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,059 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

Let the Light In is probably never going to touch my Top 5 on this album (too much competition), but I absolutely LOVE her placement within the album. The song just feels so good when it appears after such an emotionally heavy stretch. I adore it. :wub:

2 minutes ago, rhubysyrup said:

bye I just went to read the album discussion thread on reddit out of curiosity and the reddit stans all hate it lmao:awkney:

We've already gathered that the reddit stans lack critical brain function because they're horny incels who can't decipher good taste from bad taste :true:

giphy.gif

y'all how much did LA Times give her tho? 

@WHORE OF TROPICO   ⇨   @SALVAWHORE             

Pokemon Eevee GIF - Pokemon Eevee Flower - Discover & Share GIFs                                   evee-dancing.gif

Bring Me That Horizon — ianime0: Pokemon XY | Eevee Dancing

On 3/26/2023 at 10:47 PM, gorillagrippedcoochie said:

We've already gathered that the reddit stans lack critical brain function because they're horny incels who can't decipher good taste from bad taste :true:

so true. I was so confused because they're always the first ones to cry for trap/beat/rock stuff and now that she put 4 songs like that production they still find a way to complain. full of essays talking about 'I listened to Lana since forever and I'm so disappointed she will never leave her yeehaw era'... :awkney:l

everyone was there, they were standing, laughing :trisha:
and I'm on the side with my tears streaming down :trisha:

꧁ღ⊱♥ i lost my reputation, i forgot my truth, but i have my beauty and i have my youth ♥⊱ღ꧂

BRILLIANT.gif

Love how cohesive this album is thematically!

Candy Necklace : “god I love you baby” / “sitting on the sofa feeling super suicidal” / “you’ve been bringing me down”

Fishtail : “I like how you talk, how you speak, how you look at me, but you wanted me sadder”

Also in Kintsugi and Let the Light In : “I don’t trust myself with my heart but I’ve had to let it break a little more because they say that’s how the light gets in” and then “I look shining in the light, there’s so much riding on this life and how we write a love song. Oh, let the light in”

I'll do it for the right reasons

Withstanding all the time, changes and seasons

~?~

1 hour ago, gorillagrippedcoochie said:

SPILLED

@WHORE OF TROPICO   ⇨   @SALVAWHORE             

Pokemon Eevee GIF - Pokemon Eevee Flower - Discover & Share GIFs                                   evee-dancing.gif

Bring Me That Horizon — ianime0: Pokemon XY | Eevee Dancing

3 hours ago, Xenoblade 2 said:

She’s just be saying sh*te all the time. Like she recently said in an interview how BTD is full of pop bangers :lmao:. BTD demos were way more pop than the final album for example. Dark Paradise was literally an up tempo song. National Anthem was top 40 ready. Emile slowed a lot the songs down and made it way less pop. She also sang lower. Born To Die was not full of pop bangers. Don’t know what kind of pop music Lana has been listening to :rip:. Video Games being a hit shift the whole album to be down tempo. Born To Die is just very polished and has very high production value.

I think one the of the main reasons why BTD was so successful and accessible because most of the songs were written as uptempo pop songs originally but reworked to add an edge to it. That kind of juxtaposition is kinda of missing in Lana recent work tbh (well until this album esp with A&W). Just because the lyrics are personal/introspective doesn’t mean the song itself have to be acoustic and slow. Also uptempos can be sad songs too. 

Back on topic, BB and Chemtrails had a lot of promo. The music simply didn’t click.

Yep she says a lot-some of the demos are less “pop” like Lolita but from what I gathered in the interview-very produced=pop to her.

im aware that people have been saying this since like honeymoon, but this feels like her last album. all the parallels between the songs on this album and also all of the references to her older songs (palm trees in black and white etc etc) seems like her career shaped into 16 songs with a new style of music. taco truck sampling VB felt so nostalgic and was like a little flashback to the nfr era. 

the rather serious songs were very impressing and theme defining, like fingertips or kintsugi making it seem very special / worthy. not to mention, the main sequence of the title track being “dont forget me” as in dont forget my music, my talent, my legacy.

i know this isn’t the case but like :gasp:

˚୨୧⋆。˚ ⋆

last fm 

soundcloud

Anyone who's really surprised Lana's expressed folk inclinations in her music has slept on her early acoustic shit. It really isn't that shocking when you know "Your Band is All the Rage" and "All Smiles" exist. She's literally from Lake Placid, but if you ask a Reddit Lana stan where that is, they'll think it's a fucking puddle in Grand Central Park.

ANYWAY that's my rant-no-one-asked-for. Just a weird peeve I have as a New Yorker with Upstate roots seeing people just mind-blown that a girl from the Adirondacks is folk at heart. Like come on, y'all.