Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,052 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

50 minutes ago, Terrence Loves Me said:

I'll be totally honest this is probably the first album from Lana that i haven't immediately fallen in love with. It's quite hard to get into and i'm still not quite sure on it. It's too early for me to actually form a valid opinion on it but right now as much as i do really like some of the songs, i don't really care that much about them, and it's so weird cus i'm not really sure why. Like i can't help but feel a little bored with this narrative of family and such. Again it's not that the music is boring or bad in any way but i think personally my taste in music has changed significantly over the years and i don't think it helped that the album was constantly being described as "massive and crazy" - which i do think it is a new style for her but it definitely over-built my expectations and i couldn't help but feel a little dissapointed upon first listen. I mean even A&W didn't really shock me as much as it appeared to do with other people, and i suppose reading about it for months before having heard it has ultimately done more damage to my experience than it was worth.

Yep really bored of hearing about her family and friends, I don’t think she knows what else to sing about it. But she see’s a lot of her songs as personal and for her most of the time.  Whilst she has done a few things different on this album it’s not hugely different or revolutionary. Some experimenting,  but nothing super extraordinary. 

Arches are Illusions solid at first glance

I love the album and I do connect with it, it's just that it's taking a toll on me emotionally speaking. It's way too dark and twisted, and I'm not in my best days lately. It's really such a bad timing. Maybe it'll become my go-to sad album, just like Ultraviolence was for me when I was a teen. Can't stop listening though.

13 minutes ago, ChaoticLipster said:

Yep really bored of hearing about her family and friends, I don’t think she knows what else to sing about it. But she see’s a lot of her songs as personal and for her most of the time.  Whilst she has done a few things different on this album it’s not hugely different or revolutionary. Some experimenting,  but nothing super extraordinary. 

Agreed, it's just not that interesting to me personally. It's all just become a little bit too diaristic. Ever since Norman she's sort of stayed on this wavy and simple soundscape. Even with the trap beats and pop moments on this record it still sounds pretty tame in my opinion 

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

look at us

You and me

back at it again

FFFFFUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

having my heart broken, being still very much in love…..and trying to fix things……the sweetness to this song

this album…..

IM STRONGER THANgiphy.gifALL MY MEN...

2 minutes ago, Terrence Loves Me said:

Agreed, it's just not that interesting to me personally. It's all just become a little bit too diaristic. Ever since Norman she's sort of stayed on this wavy and simple soundscape. Even with the trap beats and pop moments on this record it still sounds pretty tame in my opinion 

Ahhhh I’m sorry it’s not clicking, the album.

it is so personal, and sometimes you can’t relate. I get it

i think the last two albums have been the result of covid

we all had to sit with ourselves and really reflect

death was right at our door steps

Falling in love after the pandemic felt so intense 

isolation, everything.

i wonder if lana will continue on this diary like writing, or go back to « world building »

I think the writing on this album shows that she’s capable of being so sincere, and being so unserious and fun.

i hope the album grows on you babe <3

at least we have a hugeeee catalogue of amazing music from her 

IM STRONGER THANgiphy.gifALL MY MEN...

21 minutes ago, ChaoticLipster said:

I think she chose this topic so that more people can relate to it, especially at her age. Friends, family, marriage, own children are determining topics when you get older (I know that from my own environment).

1 minute ago, whitelungswhitepalms said:

Ahhhh I’m sorry it’s not clicking, the album.

it is so personal, and sometimes you can’t relate. I get it

i think the last two albums have been the result of covid

we all had to sit with ourselves and really reflect

death was right at our door steps

Falling in love after the pandemic felt so intense 

isolation, everything.

i wonder if lana will continue on this diary like writing, or go back to « world building »

I think the writing on this album shows that she’s capable of being so sincere, and being so unserious and fun.

i hope the album grows on you babe <3

at least we have a hugeeee catalogue of amazing music from her 

Me too, and i'm sure it will! But i don't think it'll ever be my favourite or surpass BTD, UV or HM which i was really hoping for after the way insiders described it

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

53 minutes ago, ChaoticLipster said:

I agree with this. If I hear her sing about her boring sister and brother one more time... She started doing it on BB, and I was hoping it's a one-off type thing, but now I see she thinks it's a good idea. 

For me, what doesn't resonate with this albu is them lack of compelling storytelling that made songs like Blue Jeans and NFR such career highlights. On  BTD and NFR, every song, even a minor one like Cinnamon Girl, had a complete, compelling narrative. Like, you literally know what the song is about, who the characters are, etc.

With Ocean Boulevard,  a lot of songs don't have any narrative whatsoever (the interludes or the grants being an "oh, I'm doing this for our family,), or they're a boring diaristic narrative of sorts (fingertips, kintsugi) that meander and go on for an eternity), or they're simply muddled, virtually indecipherable narratives (fishtail, candy necklace).

Of the entire album's lyrics, I kinda remember OB, AW and Paris Texas lyrics only, with parts of Sweet (Beverly Center) and Peppers, maybe. I do feel like her lyricism has become lazier post-Chemtrails. 

12 minutes ago, barttttender said:

I agree with this. If I hear her sing about her boring sister and brother one more time... She started doing it on BB, and I was hoping it's a one-off type thing, but now I see she thinks it's a good idea. 

For me, what doesn't resonate with this albu is them lack of compelling storytelling that made songs like Blue Jeans and NFR such career highlights. On  BTD and NFR, every song, even a minor one like Cinnamon Girl, had a complete, compelling narrative. Like, you literally know what the song is about, who the characters are, etc.

With Ocean Boulevard,  a lot of songs don't have any narrative whatsoever (the interludes or the grants being an "oh, I'm doing this for our family,), or they're a boring diaristic narrative of sorts (fingertips, kintsugi) that meander and go on for an eternity), or they're simply muddled, virtually indecipherable narratives (fishtail, candy necklace).

Of the entire album's lyrics, I kinda remember OB, AW and Paris Texas lyrics only, with parts of Sweet (Beverly Center) and Peppers, maybe. I do feel like her lyricism has become lazier post-Chemtrails. 

Cinnamon girl has a narrative :awkney: a lust for life scrap in my opinion- I can understand California though 

I love this album but one thing makes me go crazy about it. THE VOLUME of it. WHY is that low. Lana’s album are almost always pretty low in volumes but this one beats them all.

In kintsugi for example (that I adore it) the volume at the start is embarrassing low.

I haven’t posted my full thoughts on the album yet, but this is her strangest and most unconventional album to date. It took me three listens to start grasping her overall vision and intentions, and I still think that I’ll have to revisit it several times in order to understand it better. It kind of feels like a culmination of her entire discography in terms of themes and inspirations - it shares some similarities with LFL, I suppose - while it introduces new elements (the gospel/background vocalists on the first two tracks; the stream-of-consciousness tracks in the middle; the unhinged foreboding energy of the exquisite instrumentals of the interludes; Jon Batiste’s extraordinary piano solo; the spectacular transition between the sections of A&W; the playful addition of Venice Bitch albeit in its more sinister version; the autotune and muffled watery mixing on Fishtail; the experimentations on Peppers and A&W; the cosy loose warmth of Margaret and Let The Light In; the diaristic lyrics of several tracks; the creative interpolation of SYML and RIOPY’s tracks). It feels too heavy, too confounding and certainly very promising in terms of what we should expect from LDRX.

It’s a challenging album, but if Antonoff’s recent comments on Rolling Stone (if I remember correctly) are anything to go by, Lana is entering an entirely new level of artistry where she’s going to push herself even further. At the Billboards awards she admitted that she’s feeling very creative and relaxed these days - remember how stale she felt her writing was during the COCC/BB days? -  and Ocean Blvd feels like that necessary transformative stepping stone that will allow her to explore her art even deeper. It’s been extraordinary to watch and I cannot wait for the next chapter.