Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,052 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

Might be an unpopular opinion but Peppers is the worst song on the album for me! Also, why is it named Peppers, doesn’t even make sense. It just bothers me

I pretend I’m not hurt and go about the world like I’m having fun

20 minutes ago, barttttender said:

If I hear her sing about her boring sister and brother one more time... 

:eartha:

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

I personally find it very beautiful when Lana sings about her family. She's not just providing insight into her own world, she's also encouraging us to contemplate those people in our own lives. A lyric like "my grandmother's last smile" is so powerful because how can someone hear it without considering their own grandmother's last smile? "Charlie, stop smoking" doesn't just make me think of Lana's brother, it makes me think of the people I love who are smokers and wish they could cut back too. "Chucky was there for three out of three" makes me think about rushing back to my hometown for my dad's final days. I think people get a lot more out of her lyrics when they find ways to relate them back to their own lives. Lana is a magician and she's very much placing these thoughts in our head for reasons that go beyond her in my opinion, she's just doing it in the way that is most personal and meaningful to her.

8 minutes ago, ultrababy said:

Might be an popular opinion but Peppers is the best song on the album for me! Also, i love that it is named Peppers, makes so much sense. It just entertains me

Spill

My rose garden dreams set on fire by fiends... :illumilana2: 

The album overall is beautiful and I can see her vision with it. The weakest songs for me are Paris, Texas, Grandfather, and Peppers. I enjoy the album. I want to stress that I am not saying I want her to revisit old material because I know that’s how people will interpret this. However, there was a different quality to her work pre-NFR and maybe even before LFL (minus a few tracks, mainly unreleased ones from that time). There was something there that isn’t so present in the music anymore and it’s totally okay for some people to long for that again. Listening to this album and then listening to songs like Old Money, Dragon Slayer, etc, there is something different there. I don’t expect her to go back to that style because she’s growing as a person and I appreciate it. But I am allowed to miss that story-telling and atmosphere that old songs had. Once again, I love this new music too, but the older music had that atmosphere and maybe it’s the current producers she’s working with contributing to that (minus Jon Batiste). 

I don’t really wanna die, I just want the pain to be over

34 minutes ago, barttttender said:

I agree with this. If I hear her sing about her boring sister and brother one more time... She started doing it on BB, and I was hoping it's a one-off type thing, but now I see she thinks it's a good idea. 

For me, what doesn't resonate with this albu is them lack of compelling storytelling that made songs like Blue Jeans and NFR such career highlights. On  BTD and NFR, every song, even a minor one like Cinnamon Girl, had a complete, compelling narrative. Like, you literally know what the song is about, who the characters are, etc.

With Ocean Boulevard,  a lot of songs don't have any narrative whatsoever (the interludes or the grants being an "oh, I'm doing this for our family,), or they're a boring diaristic narrative of sorts (fingertips, kintsugi) that meander and go on for an eternity), or they're simply muddled, virtually indecipherable narratives (fishtail, candy necklace).

Of the entire album's lyrics, I kinda remember OB, AW and Paris Texas lyrics only, with parts of Sweet (Beverly Center) and Peppers, maybe. I do feel like her lyricism has become lazier post-Chemtrails. 

Yes something I have struggled with on this record is the lack of narrative, it’s quite hard to really decipher. There isn’t much ‘story telling’ just her going from one thing to the next and it isn’t very coherent, but I guess this is what she meant by automatic singing. I’m not sure I personally like it much.  I think it better suits her poetry. 

I think there is a slight bit of pretentiousness creeping into her music since NFR.

Arches are Illusions solid at first glance

I will say that Candy Necklace gives me that older Lana feel, and it’s probably my favorite on the album. I love Fishtail too, but imagine it with BtD or Honeymoon type production. It would really eat. 

I don’t really wanna die, I just want the pain to be over

19 minutes ago, mostexoticflwr said:

does the intro of margaret remind anyone of the lakes by taylor swift a bit

and also love song, its just jack doing his trademark of reusing old material, it's thrilling 

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

Loving the pink Ocean blvd  LB theme!

Okay I finally decided on my album ranking. Drag me. :umadney:

1. Let the light in
2. A&W
3. Candy Necklace
4. The Grants
5. DYKTTATUOB
6. Peppers
7. Sweet
9. Taco Truck (would be higher if VB was not on it)
10. Religious crazy man yelling
11. Paris, Texas
12.Grandfather jsuzhskuxhdeepseafishing
13. Jon Batiste Interlude
14. Kintsugi
15. Fishtail
16. Fingertips (it's too personal for my liking)

2 minutes ago, Lentilus said:

Loving the pink Ocean blvd  LB theme!

Okay I finally decided on my album ranking. Drag me. :umadney:

1. Let the light in
2. A&W
3. Candy Necklace
4. The Grants
5. DYKTTATUOB
6. Peppers
7. Sweet
9. Taco Truck (would be higher if VB was not on it)
10. Religious crazy man yelling
11. Paris, Texas
12.Grandfather jsuzhskuxhdeepseafishing
13. Jon Batiste Interlude
14. Kintsugi
15. Fishtail
16. Fingertips (it's too personal for my liking)

margaret? :oprah3:

the second i see cocc in a top 3 let alone top 1 talking bout some "i don’t like this album"… sorry but:lmao:

i’ve seen a lot of cocc and bb lovers in general try to trash this album as if an 11 track album full of filler and a random mixtape is better than this bfr