Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,052 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

10 minutes ago, angel galore said:

i'm still scared about this because when i first heard it i was definitely like ummm what?? but after sitting with it for a while i think it could be a good addition to the album, i interpreted it as her affirming that she regrets the way she handled the situation and that she had good intentions. she's been subtly hinting at it/trying to explain herself for a while but i think it was important for her to address directly. there are so many ways people could interpret it wrong but hopefully people see it for what it was, anyways the general public didn't seem to care about the lines in text book which are arguably worse in my opinion so i think we'll be okay!

Maybe, but I kinda wish the sang "and regrettably, also just a woman" instead or something.

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

Such wasted potential with Taco Truck. The first part is really cool, i literally don't understand why she didn't just continue the lanita song and add a trap beat to that instead. A new album is supposed to be for new songs, im pretty sure someone on soundcloud could have made this if we really wanted to hear a trap beat over VB 

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

4 hours ago, mrborntolose said:

someone on here said that the VB part of taco truck feels like the “ending credits” song of the album and i view the song in a whole new appreciative light :xcry:

Wow it’s a really brilliant take on it :oprah:

4 minutes ago, Terrence Loves Me said:

Such wasted potential with Taco Truck. The first part is really cool, i literally don't understand why she didn't just continue the lanita song and add a trap beat to that instead. A new album is supposed to be for new songs, im pretty sure someone on soundcloud could have made this if we really wanted to hear a trap beat over VB 

I agree, would have loved a much longer Taco Truck, it was so fun. I’m hoping she explains why she added VB because right now I don’t see the connection.  

I don’t really wanna die, I just want the pain to be over

Just now, Terrence Loves Me said:

Such wasted potential with Taco Truck. The first part is really cool, i literally don't understand why she didn't just continue the lanita song and add a trap beat to that instead. A new album is supposed to be for new songs, im pretty sure someone on soundcloud could have made this if we really wanted a trap beat over VB 

Ik I especially don’t like how its the closer … if I wanted to hear Venice bitch, I’d just listen to Venice bitch.

When Lana sings: "I'm not that smart," I can relate! Your comments and observations make me think about listening in a different way, or understanding better what Lana went through. Your comments really enhance my enjoyment!

The album is too much for me. I don't know if my emotions spill because of what I bring to the listening experience, or because Lana, Melodye Perry, Pattie Howard, Shikena Jones, Jack Antonoff, and Father John MIsty . . . mine the gorgeousness out of the melodies and lyrics, which touch another brain space that releases sadness . . . You know, having something in the past the lyrics you can relate. One more reason I cry is tears of joy over Lana's triumph over this original work - the album, Did You Know That There's a Tunnel Under Ocean Blvd? It speaks to the fans! Which Taylor Swift is one - I cried over Taylor's remarks on Lana in her intro to Snow in her Vegas show!

Catching up on the comments here, I thought I'll listen to the final tracks starting with Fishtails, because they were reviewed as being, "light." Fishtails did me in. I'm spent. With two more track to go, but I am switching up to relive the opening tracks with Aaron (ForWhateverReason on youtube).

Just now, fine china said:

I agree, would have loved a much longer Taco Truck, it was so fun. I’m hoping she explains why she added VB because right now I don’t see the connection.  

Hopefully it signifies her signing off bang bang kiss kiss from Jack 

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

5 minutes ago, fine china said:

3 minutes ago, the greatest bitch said:

Ik I especially don’t like how its the closer … if I wanted to hear Venice bitch, I’d just listen to Venice bitch.

Here’s how I see it: 

- VB was part of NFR and on this album, the culture « died » with The Greatest. Which sorta mirrors the world we are living in. Before that, there was still hope and dreamy vibes to existence. 
- VB on Taco Truck feels like strolling on Venice Beach in 2023, in a non-dreamy, almost menacing world. the world has changed, we are now entering a new « stage », with more uncertainties. 

18 minutes ago, Terrence Loves Me said:

fr, i wish that Lanita/Bonita was longer, i mean, this is the closure track, it should've been 10 minutes

@WHORE OF TROPICO   ⇨   @SALVAWHORE             

Pokemon Eevee GIF - Pokemon Eevee Flower - Discover & Share GIFs                                   evee-dancing.gif

Bring Me That Horizon — ianime0: Pokemon XY | Eevee Dancing

40 minutes ago, The Rhino Designer said:

The way you’re 101% spot on with this. I have a feeling this album is going to be a huge grower for those initial reviewers. 

Also on the streams and numbers too probably. I myself didn’t really listen much in the first two days but I couldn’t get the melodies out of my head and went in a spiral of listening over and over. It’s weirdly a grower album.

31 minutes ago, White Dress said:

I don’t think the reason for Tack Truck leading into VB is that deep, she was probably just feeling quirky and silly :slayty:

I have a feeling that there is no more to TT regardless 

Lmao she probably just stopped at a taco truck in Venice beach 

2 hours ago, the greatest bitch said:

Totally understand! I have been definitely avoiding the heavier songs for this reason. Take care!

Thank you. You too x

2 minutes ago, White Dress said:

I don’t think the reason for Tack Truck leading into VB is that deep, she was probably just feeling quirky and silly :slayty:

I have a feeling that there is no more to TT regardless 

It was all just a dream anyways...

I was just able to go back to sleep for an hour and a half
so that rocked
Um, anyway
I had this dream where...

....Signin' off, bang bang, kiss kiss

:grinds:

17 minutes ago, GeminiLanaFan said:

Here’s how I see it: 

- VB was part of NFR and on this album, the culture « died » with The Greatest. Which sorta mirrors the world we are living in. Before that, there was still hope and dreamy vibes to existence. 
- VB on Taco Truck feels like strolling on Venice Beach in 2023, in a non-dreamy, almost menacing world. the world has changed, we are now entering a new « stage », with more uncertainties. 

Omg I love this! I personally think VB is such a brilliant ending to this album and this interpretation is really interesting!

i mean, this is the album that any stans have been craving for a long time, i don't understand what is it about some of these people who still aren't satisfied

It has the "piano ballad" and the personal / family lineage go-indepth story telling from BB

It has the soft breath of folk country - americana music of COCC

It has songs that don't follow regular pop song structure, which she literally sings the poetry à la Violet within the music by that "automatic/impromptu" technique.

It has the 70s surf rock influence, endless Californian summer from NFR

It has the extra, that glamour "pop" + "trap" sound from L4L

It has the heavy & cinematic piano, strings & violins that y'all fell in love in HM

It has the dark, the twisted, the sickness, the cruelty of it all from UV

It has the trip-hop, vintage hiphop, upbeat and catchy slutty sing-talk that we all obsessed since BTD

It even has the "surf noir" "metal glam" the "trailer park" feels with lo-fi electric guitar that resides within Lizzy Grant realm

Yet Ocean Blvd still sounds like itself - There's literally nothing to complain :cryney2: You get to cry to it, get emotional to it, contemplate to it, smile to it, get heart-wringing to it, slut drop to it, twerk to it & praying in the church to it.

@WHORE OF TROPICO   ⇨   @SALVAWHORE             

Pokemon Eevee GIF - Pokemon Eevee Flower - Discover & Share GIFs                                   evee-dancing.gif

Bring Me That Horizon — ianime0: Pokemon XY | Eevee Dancing

31 minutes ago, GeminiLanaFan said:

Here’s how I see it: 

I’ve said it before on the pre-release but I love it. It might be because I’m from the San Fernando Valley and her mentioning Reseda (POC heavy area lol, historically an area with gang activity, a bit infamous in SFV, etc) in Taco Truck and following it with a trap version is so in brand for the valley lol. Whereas Venice Bitch has that romantic70s Topanga Canyon and LA atmosphere to it, x VB is much more modern/gritty and kinda cements NFR - COCC - Tunnel as a trilogy ( I’m not including BB since Jack wasn’t involved ). I’d still say it’s dreamy though and both songs show different types of beauty to Los Ángeles. I don’t know, it’s kinda random but it works enough for me 

sgopYhV.gif