Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,052 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

2 hours ago, BartenderDeco said:

This might be an unpopular opinion, but if you don’t enjoy her slower and stripped back music you might as well unstan. since 2019 we’ve been going through this same cycle where they keep trashing the album because it has piano ballads? you can be a fan of her old albums or whatever but take your negative energy somewhere else. it’s her new style and you’re gonna have to put up with it

I have to agree. Like it or not, this is where she is heading for good i feel.

1 minute ago, maysparkle said:

I love Bread and that whole vibe. I can hear it, definitely why Let the Light In is my favorite track right now.

yes!! same, there's a timelessness to it, that I can hear, and Lana's always the one to do her own thing, so it's nice to hear something reminiscent of more or less, forgotten music in hers. there's a mellow, calm and a kind of poignant magic to it. definitely! LTLI just has that kind of similar world in it. 

UV/Honeymoon

when did lana say fingertips isn’t a good song? i remember she said the voice memos were unlistenable and rough, but did she say anything bad about the final? i thought she liked it

2 hours ago, BartenderDeco said:

This might be an unpopular opinion, but if you don’t enjoy her slower and stripped back music you might as well unstan. since 2019 we’ve been going through this same cycle where they keep trashing the album because it has piano ballads? you can be a fan of her old albums or whatever but take your negative energy somewhere else. it’s her new style and you’re gonna have to put up with it

Acceptance is one thing . Having opinion is a whole different story. 

28 minutes ago, revadece said:

when did lana say fingertips isn’t a good song? i remember she said the voice memos were unlistenable and rough, but did she say anything bad about the final? i thought she liked it

oh nooon i hope she likes the final.. this is such a moving song 

38 minutes ago, revadece said:

When I started writing it was very esoteric, but the people I was writing with were really straight edge so it became more poppy. Then when I met Justin Parker I got to sink back into thinking about each day and the minutia [she says this slowly to a back-and-forth rhythm] swinging in the backyard / pull up in your fast car / whistling my name. Stuff that wasn’t esoteric but it was certainly more a ‘day in the life’ motif. And then now where I’m at, it’s just all the thoughts I’ve ever had in my head from the beginning that I can remember until now, like in a song called ‘Fingertips’. That would be my song that would be my least favourite song I’d ever want to talk about…

Where I’m at now, if I’m lucky enough to get the impulse where a song comes at all, it might be once a year, in its entirety, I’ll just sing it into my voice-notes and I’ll send it to Drew Erickson who’s an absolute living legend in Echo Park. He does the orchestration for Weyes Blood, Father John Misty, Jonathan Wilson, a couple of other people and he sent me back my own voice-note with all of my pauses and breaths taken out. Every now and then when that happens, you’ll think to yourself, ‘I got it.’ I got it!

‘Fingertips’ is not a good song or a big song but it definitely explains everything. I felt like that was important because everyone was always like [whispers] explain yourself. And I was like, ‘Okay, let me do this really quickly, I’ll tell you everything I’m thinking in two minutes in a seven minute song and just rip through it and edit it.’ That song kind of says it all. Between that song and ‘Wildflower Wildfire’ on Blue Banisters, you can get a lot [whispers and laughs] of everything.

https://hannahewens.substack.com/p/lana-del-rey-interview-2023-to-have-met-myself

But honestly, I love the free-verse nature of the song. Stream of consciousness songs also have their place in music.

i think fingertips was really important to have on this album and while i realize that a lot of ppl can’t resonate with basically spoken word poetry as a 6 minute song, i am always fascinated and enamored to hear a streamline of her inner most thoughts. personally i want to know everything and i’m grateful that she wants to share it with us

to be fair I think there are quite a lot of songs on this album with strong melodies and quite traditional structures, but one thing i’m hoping for is that she won’t be mumbling so much on the next album. it works so well on A&W because of how nonchalant and disillusioned it is supposed to sound, much less on fishtail or peppers where i personally wish the vocals were clear. and i’d also love her to use her lower register more :ohno: but it’s still her magnum opus :ma:

it's so funny that we're already discussing what the next album will sound like when this one got released just 4 days ago :hillary:

꧁ღ⊱♥ i lost my reputation, i forgot my truth, but i have my beauty and i have my youth ♥⊱ღ꧂

BRILLIANT.gif

1 hour ago, revadece said:

In the rolling stone uk interview- but I think she meant “not good” as in it’s not the kind of gorgeous melody she’d traditionally write- ie not good by pop music standards. I think the song is obviously very close to her heart, but the song-ness of it is less important than the words and storytelling.

aOaIzH2.gif

10 minutes ago, honeymo0n said:

it's so funny that we're already discussing what the next album will sound like when this one got released just 4 days ago :hillary:

We need promo in the form of music videos and performances to keep us busy :magikarp:

i'm not gonna pretend like I know exactly what's going on of the album cus i barely had a moment w it just yesterday, but. what I can say about it from what I feel and sense, is that it's such a wondrous, soaring, but still mysterious record. I think the sea setting and the tunnel blends perfectly into the imagery and themes of the album. warm water, cold water, it's inviting, clear, and sometimes hazy. romantic, sensual, cerebral and pondering, but still all the while, very tender. 

earlier there was sorta? dk perusing the thread, sorta a discussion about how the music seemed like it was her last, and i think, at least for me, it's bc her music sounds clearer, in spirit, and more wholesome, and solidly assured. not to say that she hasn't been etc., but more so in a way that she seems more carefree and there's less of an "ache" of a feel overall from what I can feel. kinda like the same feeling you might have when someone can't anger you anymore, and you're just vibing and focusing on what you love, nods to the serene queen portion of the album being the last 3 tracks of the album, as an ode to herself. 

it's a compelling album that holds a lot of heart, and carries dynamism just like how life can do. incredibly solid, but still very much wondrous, and at the same time appreciative. it's a cool, cool album. 

UV/Honeymoon