Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,052 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

3 hours ago, brandon said:

While both those albums have some of her highest highs, I feel like they also have some of her lowest lows.. which sort of taints them as a whole (BB in particular, especially production wise) 

I feel like I’m one of the few people who absolutely love chemtrails, but even I can admit that a good chunk of the album sort of just feels like filler, and doesn’t quite seem necessary to the album as a whole (and the fact that the albums already so short doesn’t really help) 

Chemtrails had a great concept but only like 8 great songs that carry that concept through. The rest of the tracks were obviously fillers (like Breaking up Slowly and for Free). Now if it had tracks likes Paris, Texas, Let the Light In and Margaret, it'd been a 10/10 record and one of her best. 

43 minutes ago, Mer said:

Never understood them. Not even AJay. Sorry, but why would I care how many stupid faces some random person can pull while listening to an album for the first time? I'd much rather read a well written review that actually dives deep into the technicality of the music and lyrics. 

ajay is great tho. She has fantastic taste and really understands Lana's music. Also, she's so god damn fun to watch. That nfr review was everything 

2 minutes ago, barttttender said:

Chemtrails had a great concept but only like 8 great songs that carry that concept through. The rest of the tracks were obviously fillers (like Breaking up Slowly and Get Free). Now if it had tracks likes Paris, Texas, Let the Light In and Margaret, it'd been a 10/10 record and one of her best. 

This confusion is diabolic. 

Ok so since we’re doing rankings

Spoiler

16. Sweet - sorry to say I feel nothing when I listen to this song. It’s kinda giving me Sound Of Music (not sonically, but it’s the imagery that pops into my head when I hear it) but there’s nothing special about it

15. Jon Batiste Interlude - actually kinda disappointed with this. The instrumental is gorgeous and the concept of an interlude of the just jamming is great, but come on… If this was 1 minute long it would’ve been fine, but I’m not listening to all this cackling and yelling for 4 minutes

14. Paris, Texas - again, pretty, but not feeling anything special about it

13. Margaret - this song needed some fleshing out. I actually kinda like the first half, and Jack’s vocals are not too jarring (although a bit), but the second half just goes on for way too long with only the outro being interesting

12. Judah Smith Interlude - she really took us to church, huh. I really like the instrumental and the cinematic vibe. Again, this should not be almost 5 minutes long, but the way this one ties into the themes of the album makes me appreciate it more 

11. Title Track - from this point and forward all songs I really like. The lyrics of this one are amazing, but I wish it exploded a little bit more in the end. Still a great track

10. Kintsugi - it wasn’t clicking for me for a long time, but I do appreciate it more after more listens. I wish the vocals were clearer here and the way she says “Kintsugi” is rythmically horrible, but the rest of the lyrics save this song.

9. The Grants - stunning opener, the lyrics hit hard, the gospel singers are AMAZING and the piano melody in this song is just so so so amazing

8. Fingertips - this would’ve been much higher if not for unicorn throwing up sounds instead of the word mother. It really is jarring to hear this break of the whole flow of the song. The lyrics here - so vulnerable, so honest. Every time I listen I find something new to hit me in the feels. Also love the repeating of “two seconds to cry” throughout. It really adds structure to the song and connects it together

7. Grandfather - her voice in this one is STUNNING. The build up is what I expected from the title track, all the instruments in the background coming together. Something about this song really gives me chills on each listen 

6. Let The Light In - very classic Lana song, Tomorrow Never Cane’s happier sister, the voices blend sooo well and the strings and harmonies on the last chorus alone puts this song in my favourite songs from her ever

5. A&W - I really feel like I should rank this higher, but I overplayed it a little bit so I physically can’t. But this really is a monumental track, it has everything and is a highlight in her career. 

4. Taco Truck x VB - one of her best, if not the best, closer she’s had. Venice Bitch was really made to be a closing track.  

3. Peppers - this one… I kinda hated it for a while, but I couldn’t get it out of my head at the same time. But when it grows on you - it’s an absolute bop. I love the hook, I love the messy, chaotic production, I love the freaky lyrics, this song is just a whole lotta fun

2. Candy Necklace - BEAUTIFUL, so so so beautiful. This song is so haunting and eerie, while being extremely simple. When on an album with songs like LTLI, Fishtail and Peppers, a piano song stands out as the most interesting one - you know Lana’s doing her magic again. I genuinely cannot explain why this song entices me so much, but it does.

1. Fishtail - I know the lyrics are far from the strongest here, the production sounds “cheap” to many. But for me this is the Cinnamon Girl x Tulsa Jesus Freak x Summer Bummer child that I always wanted to hear from her. It’s absolutely perfect and I love every second of this song.

idk who will read all this nonsense from me but if you did thank you :pray2:

3 minutes ago, Corona said:

Ok so since we’re doing rankings

Reveal hidden contents

16. Sweet - sorry to say I feel nothing when I listen to this song. It’s kinda giving me Sound Of Music (not sonically, but it’s the imagery that pops into my head when I hear it) but there’s nothing special about it

15. Jon Batiste Interlude - actually kinda disappointed with this. The instrumental is gorgeous and the concept of an interlude of the just jamming is great, but come on… If this was 1 minute long it would’ve been fine, but I’m not listening to all this cackling and yelling for 4 minutes

14. Paris, Texas - again, pretty, but not feeling anything special about it

13. Margaret - this song needed some fleshing out. I actually kinda like the first half, and Jack’s vocals are not too jarring (although a bit), but the second half just goes on for way too long with only the outro being interesting

12. Judah Smith Interlude - she really took us to church, huh. I really like the instrumental and the cinematic vibe. Again, this should not be almost 5 minutes long, but the way this one ties into the themes of the album makes me appreciate it more 

11. Title Track - from this point and forward all songs I really like. The lyrics of this one are amazing, but I wish it exploded a little bit more in the end. Still a great track

10. Kintsugi - it wasn’t clicking for me for a long time, but I do appreciate it more after more listens. I wish the vocals were clearer here and the way she says “Kintsugi” is rythmically horrible, but the rest of the lyrics save this song.

9. The Grants - stunning opener, the lyrics hit hard, the gospel singers are AMAZING and the piano melody in this song is just so so so amazing

8. Fingertips - this would’ve been much higher if not for unicorn throwing up sounds instead of the word mother. It really is jarring to hear this break of the whole flow of the song. The lyrics here - so vulnerable, so honest. Every time I listen I find something new to hit me in the feels. Also love the repeating of “two seconds to cry” throughout. It really adds structure to the song and connects it together

7. Grandfather - her voice in this one is STUNNING. The build up is what I expected from the title track, all the instruments in the background coming together. Something about this song really gives me chills on each listen 

6. Let The Light In - very classic Lana song, Tomorrow Never Cane’s happier sister, the voices blend sooo well and the strings and harmonies on the last chorus alone puts this song in my favourite songs from her ever

5. A&W - I really feel like I should rank this higher, but I overplayed it a little bit so I physically can’t. But this really is a monumental track, it has everything and is a highlight in her career. 

4. Taco Truck x VB - one of her best, if not the best, closer she’s had. Venice Bitch was really made to be a closing track.  

3. Peppers - this one… I kinda hated it for a while, but I couldn’t get it out of my head at the same time. But when it grows on you - it’s an absolute bop. I love the hook, I love the messy, chaotic production, I love the freaky lyrics, this song is just a whole lotta fun

2. Candy Necklace - BEAUTIFUL, so so so beautiful. This song is so haunting and eerie, while being extremely simple. When on an album with songs like LTLI, Fishtail and Peppers, a piano song stands out as the most interesting one - you know Lana’s doing her magic again. I genuinely cannot explain why this song entices me so much, but it does.

1. Fishtail - I know the lyrics are far from the strongest here, the production sounds “cheap” to many. But for me this is the Cinnamon Girl x Tulsa Jesus Freak x Summer Bummer child that I always wanted to hear from her. It’s absolutely perfect and I love every second of this song.

idk who will read all this nonsense from me but if you did thank you :pray2:

I don’t entirely agree with a lot of what you said but I read it  :kiss3:

stars in my eyes

⊹˚⋆ 𝒃𝒂𝒃𝒚 𝒃𝒍𝒖𝒆𝒔 ‧₊°   

I'm so sad for 'Sweet' and how it's so low on the rankings for so many. It's hard to pick faves on this album cause (to me) everything is top tier, but "Sweet" so beautiful, warm and so reminiscent of "Honeymoon". I even think if it were a song on that album it would capture the entire theme of the album sonically. 
It's in my top 5 on this album for sure. 

Is the juda smith interlude the biggest hard skip of her career? 

it's so god damn annoying, i cant listen to his voice for more than 3 secs

6 minutes ago, Hejira87 said:

This confusion is diabolic. 

Hahah. I meant For Free obvs

2 minutes ago, barttttender said:

Is the juda smith interlude the biggest hard skip of her career? 

it's so god damn annoying, i cant listen to his voice for more than 3 secs

Hahah. I meant For Free obvs

Yes, hence "confusion" dahling. 

My ranking purely according to play counts since Friday: 

1. Fishtail 

2. Taco Truck x VB

3. Let The Light In

4. Peppers 

5. The Grants (this surprised me, but I guess it’s because it’s the opening track and I like playing the album front to back). 
Tracks 3, 4, 5 are tied 
6. Fingertips 

7. Grandfather (tied with Fingertips) 

8. Margaret 

9. Paris, Texas 

10. Sweet 

11. Did you know 

12. A&W (my most played song of the month, since it was a single) 

13. Candy Necklace 

14. Kintsugi

15. Tied interludes. 

0-D9-B4-BAE-A7-F2-4-FF4-93-FB-F863-B500-

find someone who looks at you the way Lana looks at Taylor Swift

1 minute ago, mssainttropez said:

What’s everyone’s favorite opening line :twirls:

Def “I haven’t done a cartwheel since I was nine” :air:

0-D9-B4-BAE-A7-F2-4-FF4-93-FB-F863-B500-

find someone who looks at you the way Lana looks at Taylor Swift

1 minute ago, mssainttropez said:

I haven’t done a cartwheel, since I was nine:trisha:

Just now, Mer said:

Def “I haven’t done a cartwheel since I was nine” :air:

You beat me to it:trisha:

3 minutes ago, mssainttropez said:

"There's a certain point... the body can't come back from" SOBBING ON THE GROUND

the earth shattered, the sky opened

tumblr_p594n81oiC1x11ydmo2_400.gif

that rain was fire, but we were wooden

Let me preface this by saying I love this album it's one of my favorite LDR album it's gorgeous showstopping amazing etc etc BUT... 

This album would've been even better if Sweet, Ocean Blvd and Kintsugi were replaced with songs in the vein of the first part of A&W or Let The Light In. Before y'all start, I like all 3 of these songs, I don't think they're bad songs at all, BUT. From Paris, Texas onwards the album's very easy to listen to, but having The Grants, Ocean Blvd and Sweet following each other up (3 heavier sounding piano driven tracks in the vein of BB), and Kintsugi being followed up by Fingertips later on (2 very soft and sad piano songs), makes the album less replayable and exciting. I love The Grants and Fingertips tho, they can stay, but those other 3 can go tbh... And obvs the pastor interlude should be a bit shorter but I do like its contribution to the album. I know some might say this album isn't meant to be easy to listen to or whatever, but shut up for a second you sound very pretentious. I like enjoying the music I listen to! Anyways, I love this album, but it did have the potential to be even better. (&yes this is me being nitpicky)

qfrWuBl.png