Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,059 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

7 minutes ago, renaissance said:

Wait why am I only just now hearing the "it's lit" in the background of A&W? Makes her TikTok a tiny bit less cringe knowing those words are technically in the background

we've  known this for weeks:eartha:

Lana Del Rey Gods And Monsters GIF - Lana Del Rey Gods And Monsters -  Discover & Share GIFsin medias res: Gods and Monsters, Lana Del Rey

On 3/27/2023 at 6:40 PM, ChaoticLipster said:

Yes something I have struggled with on this record is the lack of narrative, it’s quite hard to really decipher. There isn’t much ‘story telling’ just her going from one thing to the next and it isn’t very coherent, but I guess this is what she meant by automatic singing. I’m not sure I personally like it much.  I think it better suits her poetry. 

I think there is a slight bit of pretentiousness creeping into her music since NFR.

Very well said. Like, she got all the "genius" acclaim she wanted with NFR and then started to believe that everything that pops into her head is a great lyric or melody. But it isn't. E.g. "charlie stop smoking etc, Caroline will you... " Anyone could have written lyrics like that.

and the pretentiousness - yes. "Me and my boyfriend write hit records without trying, like, all the time." Um, technically, you haven't had a solo hit since Doin' Time four years ago but okay, Lana.

She should’ve saved Pink Champagne for this album instead of stripping it down for Chemtrails. Would’ve sounded great between “Grandfather” and “Let The Light In”. 

Screenshot-2024-04-17-at-6-31-05-PM.png

who's afraid of little old me?

Lana singing “I think that we should address this, acting like the young and restless” too fast over the piano, and then the piano solo after being extremely fast and chaotic like it’s trying to keep up with her emotions is the most brilliant moment in the album 

14 minutes ago, Honeyyoung said:

what look are they talking about?

no idea, the account posts roundups of designers and pieces on their stories so i think whatever look it is already expired :(

14 minutes ago, CinnamonGay said:

Met gala? 

i wish but i doubt cuz she’s so lazy also the met gala theme is karl lagerfeld this year 

5 hours ago, LanaCharts said:

Nfr pure sales: 66k pure sales and 38k from streaming equivalent units 

Ocean Boulevard: 85k pure sales and 35k from streaming 

I was expecting more streaming equivalent units but the pure sales numbers are amazing

Ocean is not streaming friendly at all. Too many long songs. Still waiting for Spotify to change how they count plays because right now it’s ruining the industry by encouraging shorter and shorter songs. YouTube does it very well with watch times and pay creators based on engagement. That alone curbs clickbait short videos and encourage more meaningful content. Spotify has no system like that. The pay rate is flat based on play counts disregarding length.

Erm shouldn't this thread be in the "post-release" section of LanaThoughts? I thought it got deleted for a sec 💀

Screenshot-2024-04-17-at-6-31-05-PM.png

who's afraid of little old me?

21 minutes ago, barttttender said:

Very well said. Like, she got all the "genius" acclaim she wanted with NFR and then started to believe that everything that pops into her head is a great lyric or melody. But it isn't. E.g. "charlie stop smoking etc, Caroline will you... " Anyone could have written lyrics like that.

and the pretentiousness - yes. "Me and my boyfriend write hit records without trying, like, all the time." Um, technically, you haven't had a solo hit since Doin' Time four years ago but okay, Lana.

I don't think she believes that everything she does is genius or perfect, I think it's that she's just exploring her writing craft and seeing what comes out automatically, and she puts it on the record because she's into the idea of just "getting it all in one take", literally and metaphorically.

She said herself that she thinks Fingertips isn't a  good song (hard disagree) and that she's past the point of expressing, she's just writing. She has more of a spiritual impetus now and believes that she's not the sole auteur, that her work is more channeled from elsewhere and therefore needs to be just the way it is for some kind of karmic reason.

On 3/26/2023 at 1:57 PM, 13beachess said:

I'm obsessed with A&W! probably bcs I didn't listen to it until the album. :trisha: I am constantly replaying it. It's too addictive:defeated: I do want to share the song with everyone I know and make them LISTEN TO THAT MASTERPIECE

Because of the lyrics and melody moving the song along, I agree with the comment on youtube:

[A&W] is a masterpiece for the feminine pain.

after the comments about girls losing their innocence prematurely.

On 3/26/2023 at 6:14 PM, Evergreen said:

What's the best album reaction so far? :wub:

On 3/26/2023 at 5:08 PM, The Grants said:

how can I make this record sound louder? it is so quiet when I switch to any other app I get a jumpscare everytime :icant:

Is it because you are streaming? Lana made this for me with my sensitive hearing. Can't listen to mainstream pop with its heavy production. Lana Del Rey on the bleeding edge of sonic exploration, going quieter. Sorry of your jumpscare, tho!

On 3/27/2023 at 5:52 AM, Umaniac said:

This album is easily her best vocally. Yeah she’s not doing anything crazy but her voice is so soothing and almost an instrument in the songs. The way she delivers emotions, going up and down like it’s nothing etc just pure magic.

Thanx for your observation! Did anyone notice the "death spiral" on The Grants: "but . . . but?" Gerschwin's My Man's Gone Now as interpreted by Sarah Vaughen has several is an aria with the voice doing the death spiral in several places, no lyrics, just pure emotion over the grief of a dead loved one. Cannot believe, with this album, and what you said about the voice, putting Sarah Vaughan and Lana Del Rey in the same sentence? Oldster like me understands the significance . . . but I'm hearing it on DYKTTATUOB!!! Put your opera ears on. I timestamped it to start at the first vocal death spiral.

On 3/27/2023 at 5:17 AM, Terrence Loves Me said:

I'll be totally honest this is probably the first album from Lana that i haven't immediately fallen in love with. It's quite hard to get into and i'm still not quite sure on it. It's too early for me to actually form a valid opinion on it but right now as much as i do really like some of the songs, i don't really care that much about them, and it's so weird cus i'm not really sure why. Like i can't help but feel a little bored with this narrative of family and such. Again it's not that the music is boring or bad in any way but i think personally my taste in music has changed significantly over the years and i don't think it helped that the album was constantly being described as "massive and crazy" - which i do think it is a new style for her but it definitely over-built my expectations and i couldn't help but feel a little dissapointed upon first listen. I mean even A&W didn't really shock me as much as it appeared to do with other people, and i suppose reading about it for months before having heard it has ultimately done more damage to my experience than it was worth.

You are bold to voice your opinion, which I read with interest. It is valid!

On 3/27/2023 at 7:15 AM, Your Favorite Boy said:

I love this album but one thing makes me go crazy about it. THE VOLUME of it. WHY is that low. Lana’s album are almost always pretty low in volumes but this one beats them all.

In kintsugi for example (that I adore it) the volume at the start is embarrassing low.

I do not trust streaming! Perhaps Spotify cannot get the compression right on a delicate production like this! But it sounds good on PC listening to mp3s on my headphones, left ear only, because of damage in my right ear that distorts sounds.

On 3/27/2023 at 8:19 AM, Venice Jesus Whore said:

I haven’t heard the lakes, but Margaret as a whole sounds like it seriously could’ve been Taylor’s song in the folklore era. I can just hear her singing it. 

Haven't heard the entirety of Folklore, only Cardigan, but am tickled for Lana's sense of humor to write a Taylor-esque song, if what you said is true. That is why I enjoy Lanaboards so much! It is another love tribute to Jack Antonoff. Taylor's bonus track on 1989 is called, "You're in Love" is tribute to Lena Dunham and Jack Antonoff, with lyrics that read:

One night, he wakes
Strange look on his face
Pauses, then says "You're my best friend"
And you knew what it was, he is in love

Lena Dunham tweeted,

@taylorswift13 my someday wedding song, as you know

IMO, Lana is entitled to appropriate from Taylor, imo, because Taylor draws major "inspo" from Lana . . . so much I used to feel indignant in Lana's behalf! At least Taylor credits Lana. Not like others who steal and DO NOT credit.

On 3/27/2023 at 11:36 AM, cominguplavender said:

also what does she mean by "i have good intentions even if i'm one of the last ones" last ones of what lol i'm struggling

In these apocolyptic times, a dying breed, like from the hippie dippy love generation flower children? 1967 was the summer of love, Vietnam protests and civil rights.

On 3/27/2023 at 10:55 AM, taco truck said:

the second verse of candy necklace is one of my favorite moments on the entire album:hype:

sitting on the sofa feeling super suicidal, hate to say the word but baby hand on the bible...

btw what is the word she hates to say, suicidal? or bible?

Suicidal. Lana is not allowed to say it. Guardian UK burned Lana for making an off-hand joke about joining Morrison, Hendrix, Joplin, and Winehouse when Lana was also aged 27.  After Lana trusted the interviewer, he turned the off-the-cuff wry observation into a headline . . . for which Lana it seems did not forgive The Guardian . . . and granted no more interviews, as far as I can tell. Guardian did reviews and think pieces about Lana Del Rey since, but no exclusives . . .

It's you the fans who keep Lana from doing the unthinkable, imo. Like the Japan idols venerated around the world, Lana is so influential, her taking the easy way out would result in a domino effect of copycats. I am sure Lana has had low points, as her recent works infer, but she dismisses the thought, because of you. It is not just about her, I am certain . . .

On 3/27/2023 at 7:50 PM, DCooper said:

:ohsnap::ohsnap::ohsnap:

That is genuinely embarrassing for them

RollingStone put Video Games at the top, and rated Heroin the bottom? I have nothing against Video Games, but there are so many great Lana songs even from that era that outshine it frankly, to me! People love Video Games. I do not want to take that away from them!

I would much rather read the reviews here because the fans are educated at least, even if your opinions differ from mine! You study your subject. It is much more illluminating to get the feedback from you, even if I do not agree. Mostly I agree, though.

On 3/27/2023 at 6:31 PM, Surf Noir said:

sometimes opinions are just objectively wrong :oprah3:

About Heroin being bottom. The journalists get it wrong!

11 hours ago, marinasrep said:

i'm so obsessed with this album it's unhealthy at this point 

Not with the album, but I did catch up on the last 50 pages of this thread today . . . Like I said, above, your opinions so much more captivating than anything out there. Not even reading the reviews. They just do not know.

8 hours ago, ivory almond said:

can someone pls explain to me why so many people have jon batiste interlude above an actual song?
like imo, even judah smith interlude is better bc at least he's actually saying stuff
but in jon batiste, it's just shouting and him saying "i feel it" over and over, and the Judah Smith Interlude has a better instrumental too

Structure, melody, instrumentals. It is a real song!

On 3/27/2023 at 6:35 PM, cominguplavender said:

maybe the stuff in judah smith interlude about doing the right things as a father, partner, etc. is lana taking a dig at sean... especially after a&w. like he disrespected her to the extreme AND whoever he was engaged too.

I skipped JS interlude, but am interested in the tea about Sean disrespecting Lana.  It is the crux of songs from Chemtrails on. Why why why why why did Sean walk away, when he had Lana? It must go deep, the climate at the time, the anti cop sentiment, protests over cop abuse, perhaps feeling like Sean's loyalty to his badge was tested for dating Lana? If I had a life, it wouldn't concern me, I suppose. But Lana' music speaks to me so much, I suffer, too. I felt violated when Chuck was robbed of digiatal photos, etc. let alone the recent car breakin Lana made public. It hurt.