Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,059 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

22 minutes ago, DragonWhore said:

For all of you little whores who don't understand the Taco Truck x VB mashup...its simple. 

Its the end of the COVID songwriting era and Lana is ready to get back out there, be less introspective, and be Lanita again. She's going bringing her recent styles and mashing them up with the old for the next album.

xo

Baby give it up  

The aesthetics of Tunnel have truly been her best in years. I hope she continues the aesthetic throughout her Festival tour cause the NFR tour was horrible visually from what i remember 

My 2AM Analysis of Fingertips

Spoiler

When I look back, tracing fingertips over plastic bags

Thinking I wish I could extrapolate some small intention

Or maybe just get your attention for a minute or two?

Lana starts out by looking back to the past, and when she says "tracing her fingertips over plastic bags" I think she's referring to the items that the plastic bags contain. They are sealed up in these plastic bags, so she can't see them clearly, again alluding to memories of events long passed, but she can feel them since plastic bags are thin and flimsy. The items in these plastic bags are her memories of the past, either physical mementos that help her remember them, or metaphorical manifestations. 

But as Lana is reflecting upon her memories, she can't help but question things to god himself. She's been doing a lot of contemplation, which we'll delve further into with this analysis, and she wants to ask god for his attention to ask him about everything she's feeling while running her fingertips over these plastic bags, feeling what she felt before while experiencing the events that later became the memories she’s tracing.

Will I die?

Or will I get to that ten-year mark

Where I beat the extinction of telomeres?

And if I do, will you be there with me?

Father? Sister? Brother?

This part of the song continues the themes established during The Grants. During The Grants, she sings about the afterlife and the memories that she hopes to bring with her. She re-introduces this theme with several questions. Lana starts out by questioning her own death, which is inevitable, followed by the question about whether her family will be there with her. This part is contemplating whether the presence of an afterlife is as likely as.her never dying. Basically saying that the hopes of taking everything with her that she mentions in The Grants may not actually come to fruition. 

Charlie, stop smoking

Caroline, will you be with me? 

Will the baby be all right?

Will I have one of mine?

Can I handle it?

Even if I do, they said that my mind

It's not fit, or so they said, to carry a child

I guess I’ll be fine

Here, it seems like a follow up from the previous set of lyrics. Almost like she's reconciling with the fact that there might not be an afterlife, she might not be able to take the things she mentions in The Grants. "Charlie stop smoking" meaning "don't speed up your death since there might not be an afterlife, and I want to spend all of the time I can with you here on earth." "Will the baby be all right" circling back to her wanting to take her sister's firstborn child with her to heaven in The Grants, and realizing here, that Earth is where she might only be able to be with her niece. 

She then uses this mention.of her niece to switch gears a bit, delving into whether she'll be able to have a child of her own, and then contemplating whether she has the mental capacity for one. She ends this thought initially by reconciling with the fact that she might never have children, but she's only saying this to herself early on in the song. She’s not really convinced (“I guess”), and just trying to tell that to herself here as a way of coping. 

It wasn’t my idea, the cocktail of things that twist neurons inside

But without them, I’d die

They say there’s irony in the music, It’s a tragedy, I

See nothing Greek in it

Give me a mausoleum in Rhode Island with dad, grandma, grandpa, and Dave

Who hung himself real high

In the national park sky

It’s a shame, and I’m crying right now

I didn’t get to you, save you

If I take my life, find your astral body

Put it into my arms

Give you two seconds to cry

Take you home, I

I’ll give you a blanket

Your spirit can sit and watch TV by my side

‘Cause baby I

This part starts out by basically saying that she doesn't always appreciate god's creation of the human mind, the thoughts that she has, but she literally needs a brain to live. She then delves into the irony of needing a brain and thoughts to be alive, yet those same things also contribute to the contemplation and fear that she introduces at the beginning of this song. "There's irony in the music, it's a tragedy...I see nothing Greek in it" 

Rather than be alive and have her brain and her thoughts, she'd rather be with those in her family who have passed. That said it's interesting, because she's not referring to some afterlife like The Grants, where she's in heaven and takes everything she wants with her. She’s now in a mausoleum. As mentioned earlier, she's reconciled with the fact that death is death, and she's somewhat appreciative of being able to escape from her own thoughts if the outcome of The Grants doesn’t happen. 

The last part of this section talks about the story of her Uncle Dave, with the mention of her passed family members acting as a segue into another sub topic. Not only does she mention how he passed, but she's basically saying here that she wishes that she can find her Uncle Dave in the afterlife, take him back to the world of the living, and just allow him some time to feel something. She's saying this, because once again, she's reconciled with the fact that the heaven mentioned in The Grants may not be real, and therefore Dave can't cry or feel anything where he is now. 

Went through a time when I felt you were doing it

I couldn’t handle it, I was in Monaco

I couldn’t hear what they said on the telephone

I had to sing for the prince in two hours

Sat in the shower

Gave myself two seconds to cry

It’s a shame that we die

I see this part as her going into another sub topic, thinking about the actual moment her uncle died, but the purpose of this tying back to the fact that she does have the ability to cry. She's still here, and Dave isn't. This is somewhat bitter sweet, because she's reflecting on how she has this earthly ability to feel, and she's come to the realization, maybe for the first time since she's reflecting on her younger self, that Dave may not be able to do this. She's basically explaining why she wrote the previous part, where she says that she wishes she can give Dave the opportunity to cry again.

When I was fifteen, naked

Next-door neighbors did a drive-by

Pulled me up by my waist, long hair to the beachside

I wanted to go out like you

Swim with the fishes that he caught on Rhode Island beaches

But, sometimes, it's just not your time, Caroline

This is the part that really connects to the opening lines. We’re going from "When I look back…” to "When I was fifteen…” She's further elaborating on why she wants to get the attention of god. Because she finds herself questioning his design, why he gave her a mind that helps her live, but also has led to her further contemplation, and therefore suffering. The fact that she's having these suicidal thoughts, doing even more contemplation in the present day about the things that she would want to take with her in the afterlife, and then coming to the realization that this earth might be it. 

What kind of Mother was she to say I’d end up in institutions?

All I wanted to do was kiss Aaron Greene and sit by

The lake, twisting lime into the drinks that they made 

Have a babe at sixteen, the town I was wed in and die

And here it is, the root cause of why she disagrees with god's creation in the second part of the song when she sings "It wasn’t my idea, the cocktail of things that twist neurons inside

But without them, I’d die." She's explaining that the treatment of her mother has led to her to in a way hate her mind in the past. Her mom basically made her question the way she wanted to live her life, and threatened punishment over it, so Lana feels like there's a disconnect with how she naturally feels from the thoughts in her mind vs the mind being this necessary organ for living life.

The theme of irony is also brought up here again, similarly to the irony in the second part when she says "There's irony in the music, it's a tragedy...I see nothing Greek in it" because she is questioning another necessity of life, a mother. Similarly to how she literally needs a brain to live, she also literally needed a mother to be born into this world with. 

Her mother wanted to punish her for her natural thoughts of love at a young age, when she just wanted to be with Aaron, live in her small town, and have his babies. Her mother trying to shame a young Lana for wanting to be with boys at a relatively young age, and this is followed by the theme of her questioning her natural tendencies that come from her mind that god gave to her. This cognitive dissonance and disagreement with god’s creation made Lana suicidal. 

Aaron ended up dead and not me 

What the fuck’s wrong in your head

To send me away never to come back? 

Exotic places and people don't take the place of being your child

I give myself two seconds to cry

Let it crash over me like the waves in the sea

Call me Aphrodite as they bow down to me

And here, she once again references irony, because Aaron actually did end up dead instead of her. She then questions god, and speaks angrily towards him, because rather than let her live out her 15 year old innocent dream of being with Aaron, he, again ironically, ends up dead and basically lives out his days in their town like Lana wanted to, while she becomes a big star traveling the world, and not ever going back. 

It's here that she revisits the "I guess I'll be fine" lyric about her never having children, because she DOES want children. She wants them so bad, and she's saying that her stardom, "call me Aphrodite" referring to her fans comparing her to a goddess, could never replace the desire for her to want to have a family of her own. 

Sunbather, moon-chaser, queen of empathy

I give myself two seconds to breathe

And go back to being a serene queen

I just needed two seconds to be me

She starts out this final part delving into the other stuff she can be compared to from a higher being perspective, basically more ways of being called Aphrodite in the previous set of lyrics. 

And then, she concludes by saying that she gives herself "2 seconds to breathe" corresponding to the other areas of "2 seconds to cry." She's saying that her stardom takes her out of her life in a way. She's alluded to crying, and now breathing, as literal signs of being alive, and she's basically saying that she's not really able to live her life when she's propped up as a star. Similarly to Dave coming back for "2 seconds to cry" she's taking these few "seconds" to perhaps spend time with family, friends, live her life, before she has to go back to being Lana Del Rey :( 

I know Fingetips is a deeply personal song to Lana, but did anyone else’s grandm***er want to send them to an institution because all they wanted to do was kiss some guy? Just me :runs:?

Screenshot-2024-04-17-at-6-31-05-PM.png

who's afraid of little old me?

1 hour ago, robertenglandgrant said:

My 2AM Analysis of Fingertips

Reveal hidden contents

When I look back, tracing fingertips over plastic bags

Thinking I wish I could extrapolate some small intention

Or maybe just get your attention for a minute or two?

Lana starts out by looking back to the past, and when she says "tracing her fingertips over plastic bags" I think she's referring to the items that the plastic bags contain. They are sealed up in these plastic bags, so she can't see them clearly, but she can feel them. The items in these plastic bags are her memories of the past. Lana is about to tell her story.

But as Lana is reflecting upon her memories from the past, she can't help but question things to god himself. She's been doing a lot of contemplation, which we'll delve further into with this analysis, and she wants to ask god for his attention so she can ask him about everything she's feeling as she's running her fingertips over this plastic bags containing her memories.

Will I die?

Or will I get to that ten-year mark

Where I beat the extinction of telomeres?

And if I do, will you be there with me?

Father? Sister? Brother?

This part of the song continues the themes established during The Grants. During The Grants, she sings about the afterlife and the memories that she hopes to bring with her. I also find this to be very interesting, because she re-introduces this theme with several questions. She starts out by questioning her own death, which is inevitable, followed by the question about whether her family will be there with her. I feel like this is somewhat pessimistic, almost saying that she's contemplating whether the presence of an afterlife is as likely as.her never dying. Basically saying that the hopes of taking everything with her that she mentions in The Grants may not actually come to fruition. 

Charlie, stop smoking

Caroline, will you be with me? 

Will the baby be all right?

Will I have one of mine?

Can I handle it?

Even if I do, they said that my mind

It's not fit, or so they said, to carry a child

I guess I’ll be fine

Here, it seems like a follow up from the previous set of lyrics. Almost like she's reconciling with the fact that there might not be an afterlife, she might not be able to take the things she mentions in The Grants. "Charlie stop smoking" meaning "don't speed up your death since there might not be an afterlife, and I want to spend all of the time I can with you here on earth." "Will the baby be all right" circling back to her wanting to take her sister's firstborn child with her to heaven in The Grants, and realizing here, that Earth is where she might only be able to be with her niece. 

She then uses this mention.of her niece to switch gears a bit, delving into whether she'll be able to have a child of her own, and then contemplating whether she has the mental capacity for one. She ends this thought initially by reconciling with the fact that she might never have children, but she's only saying this to herself early on in the song. She's really just trying to tell that to herself here as a way of coping. 

See nothing Greek in it

Give me a mausoleum in Rhode Island with dad, grandma, grandpa, and Dave

Who hung himself real high

In the national park sky

It’s a shame, and I’m crying right now

I didn’t get to you, save you

If I take my life, find your astral body

Put it into my arms

Give you two seconds to cry

Take you home, I

I’ll give you a blanket

Your spirit can sit and watch TV by my side

‘Cause baby I

This part starts out by basically saying that she doesn't always appreciate god's creation of the human mind, the thoughts that she has, but she literally needs a brain to live. She then delves into the irony of needing a brain and thoughts to be alive, yet those same things also contribute to the contemplation and fear that she introduces at the beginning of this song. "There's irony in the music, it's a tragedy...I see nothing Greek in it" 

Rather than be alive and have her brain and her thoughts, she'd rather be with those in her family who have passed. That said it's interesting, because she's not referring to some afterlife like The Grants, where she's in heaven and takes everything she wants with her, she's now in a mausoleum. As mentioned earlier, she's reconciled with the fact that death is death, and she's somewhat appreciative of being able to escape from her own thoughts. 

The last part of this section talks about the story of her Uncle Dave, with the mention of her passed family members acting as a segue into another sub topic. Not only does she mention how he passed, but she's basically saying here that she wishes that she can find her Uncle Dave in the afterlife, take him back to the world of the living, and just allow him some time to feel something. She's saying this, because once again, she's reconciled with the fact that the heaven mentioned in The Grants may not be real, and therefore Dave can't cry or feel anything where he is now. 

Went through a time when I felt you were doing it

I couldn’t handle it, I was in Monaco

I couldn’t hear what they said on the telephone

I had to sing for the prince in two hours

Sat in the shower

Gave myself two seconds to cry

It’s a shame that we die

I see this part as her going into another sub topic, thinking about the actual moment her uncle died, but the purpose of this tying back to the fact that she does have the ability to cry. She's still here, and Dave isn't. This is somewhat bitter sweet, because she's reflecting on how she has this earthly ability to feel, and she's come to the realization, maybe for the first time since she's reflecting on her younger self, that Dave may not be able to do this. She's basically explaining why she wrote the previous part, where she says that she wishes she can give Dave the opportunity to cry again

When I was fifteen, naked

Next-door neighbors did a drive-by

Pulled me up by my waist, long hair to the beachside

I wanted to go out like you

Swim with the fishes that he caught on Rhode Island beaches

But, sometimes, it's just not your time, Caroline

This is the part that really connects to the opening lines "When I look back" to "When I was fifteen." She's further elaborating on why she wants to get the attention of god. Because she finds herself questioning his design, why he gave her a mind that helps her live, but also has led to her further contemplation and therefore suffering. The fact that she's having these suicidal thoughts, doing even more contemplation in the present day about the things that she would want to take with her in the afterlife, and then coming to the realization that this earth might be it. 

What kind of Mother was she to say I’d end up in institutions?

All I wanted to do was kiss Aaron Greene and sit by

The lake, twisting lime into the drinks that they made 

Have a babe at sixteen, the town I was wed in and die

And here it is, the root cause of why she disagrees with go's creation in the second part of the song when she sings "It wasn’t my idea, the cocktail of things that twist neurons inside

But without them, I’d die." She's explaining that the treatment of her mother has led to her to in a way hate her mind in the past. Her mom basically made her question the way she wanted to live her life, and threatened punishment over it, so Lana feels like there's a disconnect with how she naturally feels from the thoughts in her mind vs the mind being this necessary organ for living life.

The theme of irony is also brought up here again, similarly to the irony in the second part when she says "There's irony in the music, it's a tragedy...I see nothing Greek in it" because she is questioning another necessity of life, a mother. Similarly to how she literally needs a brain to live, she also literally needed a mother to be born into this world with. 

Her mother wanted to punish her for her natural thoughts of love at a young age, and she just wanted to be with Aaron, live in her small town, and have his babies. I'm interpreting this as her mother trying to shame a young Lana for wanting to be with boys at a relatively young age, and this is followed by the theme of her questioning her natural tendencies that come from her mind. This contemplation is what causes Lana to question god about his creation, and want to die. 

Aaron ended up dead and not me 

What the fuck’s wrong in your head

To send me away never to come back? 

Exotic places and people don't take the place of being your child

I give myself two seconds to cry

Let it crash over me like the waves in the sea

Call me Aphrodite as they bow down to me

And here, she once again references irony, because Aaron actually did end up dead. She then questions god, and speaks angrily towards him, because rather than let her live out her 15 year old innocent dream of being with Aaron, he, once again ironically, ends up dead and basically living out his days in their town, while she becomes a big star traveling the world, and not ever going back. 

It's here that she revisits the "I guess I'll be fine" lyric about her never having children, because she DOES want children. She wants them so bad, and she's saying that her stardom, "call me Aphrodite" referring to her fans comparing her to a goddess, could never replace the desire for her to want to have a family of her own. 

Sunbather, moon-chaser, queen of empathy

I give myself two seconds to breathe

And go back to being a serene queen

I just needed two seconds to be me

She starts out this final part delving into the other stuff she can be compared to from a higher being perspective, basically more ways of being called Aphrodite in the previous set of lyrics. 

And then, she concludes by saying that she gives herself "2 seconds to breathe" corresponding to the other areas of "2 seconds to cry." She's saying that her stardom takes her out of her life in a way. Remember, she's alluded to crying and now breathing as literal signs of being alive, and she's basically saying that she's not really able to liver her life when she's propped up as a star. Similarly to Dave coming back for "2 seconds to cry" she's taking these few "seconds" to perhaps spend time with family, friends, live her life, before she has to go back to being Lana Del Rey. 

I have an interesting thing to add about telomeres and this part of the song:

Will I die?

Or will I get to that ten-year mark

Where I beat the extinction of telomeres?

And if I do, will you be there with me?

Father? Sister? Brother?

Spoiler

She's talked about this before in an interview but the "extinction of telomeres" essentially means becoming immortal, or "curing the sickness of old age" because telomeres is what essentially causes us to age, according to some research being done by scientists very recently 

So I think what she is contemplating here is, will she be there when "immortality" is attainable for humans, and also importantly, will her family be there too? Will they be able to be "immortal" with her or will more of her loved ones die?

Definitely hits hard when considering the grief she is already dealing with in this song and thinking about how, if they lived a bit longer she might have been able to save them with the extinction of telomeres

Especially because she has a lot of money lol I'm sure if such a thing is possible, she will pay however much to ensure that everyone she loves lives forever with her...I would do the same too tbh

1 hour ago, Xenoblade 2 said:

Buy the album digitally from her site (will count immediately towards billboard):

https://shoplanadelrey.com/products/did-you-know-that-there-s-a-tunnel-under-ocean-blvd-digital-album

Physical versions now all ship past the debut week (they won’t count towards this week anymore:rollin:), so buy the digital copy or go to your local store.

This tweet needs to go viral. 

9 hours ago, Evergreen said:

120k! So happy for her. :party:

I'm so happy to see how successful this album is :oprah:

I think I said this before, but this just shows how important visuals are and with these gorgeous covers I imagine people are buying the album just because it looks pretty and they're curious about it

I mean, I've never bought a vinyl before and for this release I've bought every single variant, plus some cds and cassettes just because the covers are gorgeous :true:

I imagine people who are walking through target, vinyl stores, maybe UO or anywhere else this album is sold might just be captivated by the cover and decide to buy it because it's so pretty...it also makes it more appealing to the GP when they see something so aesthetically pleasing pop up on the "New Releases" on streaming services too lol

6 minutes ago, fishtails said:

See nothing Greek in it

I thought she was medicated?

omnia vincit amor : LANA DEL REY behind the scenes with interview...

2 hours ago, fishtails said:

I'm so happy to see how successful this album is :oprah:

I think I said this before, but this just shows how important visuals are and with these gorgeous covers I imagine people are buying the album just because it looks pretty and they're curious about it

I mean, I've never bought a vinyl before and for this release I've bought every single variant, plus some cds and cassettes just because the covers are gorgeous :true:

I imagine people who are walking through target, vinyl stores, maybe UO or anywhere else this album is sold might just be captivated by the cover and decide to buy it because it's so pretty...it also makes it more appealing to the GP when they see something so aesthetically pleasing pop up on the "New Releases" on streaming services too lol

What if some pervs bought the green version just because of her tits? :sluttybunny: