Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,059 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

4 hours ago, DragonWhore said:

I never said they were for 9 lol

its coming

Babe, I want to believe you, many of the hints you gave came through, in a way, but the lyrics you teased, plus Del Norte County and Coronado, are nowhere to be seen… So, forgive this skeptical lot, but we need to stick to facts. However, if those elements do appear in a near future, you sure will become a deity (plus there’s a vacant spot, with BoZ vanished :lmaoney:)

I don't know if this has been brought up by anyone else yet, but I can't help but think about the first half of the album as a chronological allegory for her romance, heartbreak and then stages of grief.

1. The Grants/Ocean Blvd/Sweet is her in love, thinking about a life of love but still foreshadowing future loss (love and denial (in hindsight) stage).
    "Do you want children? Do you want to marry me?"
  2. A&W is where the betrayal happens (especially considering the extra verse she sang on her live in the car about Sean), The anger and reckoning stage.
    "It's not about havin' someone to love me anymore
    This is the experience of bein' an American whore"
  3. Interludes/Candy Necklace is her turning to spirituality while still lamenting the restlessness/reckless of men. Reasoning.
  4. Kintsugi - the quietest point of grief, depression, that hopefully starts to precede the last stage of grief, acceptance. 

To me, the remaining half of the album her accepting her place in life and trying to find potential joy in living in the moment, friendship, family and embracing her sultry spirit again. 

The hair on his head was white like wool, as white as snow, and his eyes were like blazing fire.

15 minutes ago, ModernBohemian said:

I don't know if this has been brought up by anyone else yet, but I can't help but think about the first half of the album as a chronological allegory for her romance, heartbreak and then stages of grief.

1. The Grants/Ocean Blvd/Sweet is her in love, thinking about a life of love but still foreshadowing future loss (love and denial (in hindsight) stage).
  2. A&W is where the betrayal happens (especially considering the extra verse she sang on her live in the car about Sean), The anger and reckoning stage. 
  3. Interludes/Candy Necklace is her turning to spirituality while still lamenting the restlessness/reckless of men. Reasoning.
  4. Kintsugi - the quietest point of grief, depression, that hopefully starts to precede the last stage of grief, acceptance. 

To me, the remaining half of the album her accepting her place in life and trying to find potential joy in living in the moment, friendship, family and embracing her sultry spirit again. 

I was mulling this around in my head the other day, I think it's why the album front to back is such a cathartic experience, for me anyway

𝙸𝚝’𝚜 𝚐𝚒𝚟𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚏𝚒𝚐 𝚝𝚛𝚎𝚎, 𝙸𝚝’𝚜 𝚐𝚒𝚟𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚂𝚢𝚕𝚟𝚒𝚊 𝙿𝚕𝚊𝚝𝚑

13 hours ago, littleredpartydress said:

what if someone had asked Picasso not to be sad

:lmao: The way I COULDN'T believe this song when I heard it

7 hours ago, barttttender said:

Very well said. Like, she got all the "genius" acclaim she wanted with NFR and then started to believe that everything that pops into her head is a great lyric or melody. But it isn't. E.g. "charlie stop smoking etc, Caroline will you... " Anyone could have written lyrics like that.

and the pretentiousness - yes. "Me and my boyfriend write hit records without trying, like, all the time." Um, technically, you haven't had a solo hit since Doin' Time four years ago but okay, Lana.

It's incredible how you're able to pull out so many negative comments no matter the hour of the day :rip: By "hit songs" she obviously doesn't mean an actual hit on Billboard, she means the songs are catchy and great and feel classic to her and making great songs comes naturally for her. But whatever.

its so embarrassing that genius still has "God's a charlatan" in the a&w lyrics and all the locals will think she actually says that :wtf3:

also the connotations for some songs like kintsugi and candy necklace are so cringey... sometimes i wonder how people come up with this stuff

24928f7b69cee0fe13500ed529054686.gif

1 hour ago, Morissetteus said:

Hey guys, I just got an invitation to the global listening party via email. It’s about in 13,5 hrs.
Did you know about that? 

Edit: nvm refer to post below me instead

It’s not about having someone to love me anymore

This is the experience of being an American whore

7 hours ago, #FreeCandyNecklace said:

In Kintsugi, when she sings "In one year, we've learned the turn of the mouth/The depth that the chest cavity takes," is she talking about the way the actual body looks as someone dies? When I first heard the song I didn't fully know what she meant but when you consider the rest of the song I can't help but think this is what she's referring to. I've seen a lot of the reaction videos confused about this particular part.

I interpret "the turn of the mouth" as someone's passing turning everyone's smile down, like an actual upside down mouth, meaning sadness and grief.

The "depth that the chest cavity takes" I take it as when something very sad happens and you first take notice, you feel like you heart and chest are heavy and it's hard to breathe, like an elephant sitting in your chest, that sinking feeling :toofunny: 

(but I also think it does have a double meaning: that, and the literal body of someone who passed, changing and decomposing)

8 hours ago, barttttender said:

Very well said. Like, she got all the "genius" acclaim she wanted with NFR and then started to believe that everything that pops into her head is a great lyric or melody. But it isn't. E.g. "charlie stop smoking etc, Caroline will you... " Anyone could have written lyrics like that.

and the pretentiousness - yes. "Me and my boyfriend write hit records without trying, like, all the time." Um, technically, you haven't had a solo hit since Doin' Time four years ago but okay, Lana.

let's not talk like fingertips isn't her lyrical magnum opus. and the hit songs line is quite clearly satirical, but whatever I guess

just a thought

what about

talking about pink champagne and the other tropico leaks in the threads dedicated to them? :lolliney:

─── ・ 。: *.☽ .* :。 ───

9.gif

You're the king mafia baby
I am the Queen of Alchemy